Sophia Floersch Crash

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Destin65, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Destin65

Destin65 Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    I'm sure some of you may have heard of the horrific Sophia Floersch crash, but in case not thought I'd post a video to show how dangerous racing can be and how lucky all were to survive what I initially thought was possibly multiple fatalities. This is the best video that shows the crash from two angles including a slow motion showing it flying over the wall and into the side of a building structure. She is blessed to have not lost her life. My first thought was that we had lost another racer as I had seen Senna's crash happen on live television and kept expecting him to get out of the car, wave to the fans and walk away. But he never did. I was expecting worse from this. It was that bad.

I hope nobody minds my posting it, but it relates to the game in the fact it happened at the Macau race circuit and was a Formula 3 race car similar to what is in the game. I wouldn't recommend trying to recreate it, but if you watched the recent RaceRoom official Twitch stream from a couple days ago, there was an eerily similar crash in which one of the cars was knocked over the wall in a crash of which the two commentators for RaceRoom were kind of surprised at that.

As I understand it, she fractured her spine in the crash but is otherwise fine aside from being shaken up. Also to best of my knowledge another driver that she clipped was taken to hospital along with two track marshals and a couple of photographers or journalists. All are expected to survive the last I heard.

2. Vanaja74

Vanaja74 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    I hope to recover and everything good for Sophia.

3. Aspius

Aspius Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    All taken from: https://www.motorsport.com/f3/news/floersch-spinal-fracture-macau-injury-report/3216291/?nrt=58

There was another driver, 1 race marshal and 2 photographers were taken to hospital.

The driver Tsuboi was admitted to hospital with lumbar pain and will undergo further examination.

The marshal, Chan Cha In, suffered a laceration of the face, abrasion of his upper abdomen wall and a fractured jaw.

Photographer Chan Weng Wang sustained a liver laceration and is being observed in hospital, with fellow photographer Hiroyuki Minami suffering a concussion and likewise under observation.

Ferrari junior Guan Yu Zhou, who was following Floersch at the time of the accident, explained that it was due to yellow caution lights flashing on the straight.

“Coming after Mandarin [the preceding right-hand kink], I saw the yellow, but I think it was just a mistake by the organisers’ station.

“Sophia was really close to Jehan, so when Jehan braked early she had no time to react.

“She hit Jehan’s right-rear, and that spun her around straight into Lisboa, and she flew into the other car."

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Destin65

Destin65 Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Wow, so this crash may have been caused by a malfunction in the track's warning system or human error??

5. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Destin65

Destin65 Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    True, can a moderator move it or should I just delete this post?

7. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I have no problem with you sending your wishes in a dedicated thread, but if you want to move to the real motorsports one, that's also fine.

All the best to everyone involved in this crash.

• Like Like x 2