Need help with setup of AMG GT3

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Carstenh, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Carstenh

Carstenh New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hi Forum !
    I am struggling with the setup of the GT3 AMG - just cant get rid of that understeer.
    So i am experimenting with toe-in and toe-out settings. Can somebody please explain what the positive and negative numbers mean ? Does setting the front wheels to -0,19 mean the tires have toe-in or toe-out ?

Maybe in German:
    Bedeuten negative Werte hier Vor- oder Nachspur ? Ich meine die Kiste verhält sich nicht so, wie man es bei mehr Vorspur erwartet. Kann es sein, dass die Werte hier genau falsch rum laufen ?

Thanks !
    Carsten

P.S.: If you have a daownloadable setup please give me a hint !

2. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Hi Carsten,

you can look for setups in this subforum: https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?forums/car-setups.78/

Regarding toe: Because the setting is called "Toe-in", positive values result in positive toe-in (i.e. toe-in) and negative values result in negative toe-in (i.e. toe-out).

So using your example, a setting of -0.19 means there's toe-out.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Kollo

Kollo Active Member

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0
    Actually I wouldn't point to that orphaned section of this forum. Sharing car setups is not very common in this community. :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Go to Race Department, they have loads, still part of this community, just a Brother from another Mother! ;)

5. BrianBosch

BrianBosch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +129 / 0 / -0
  6. Carstenh

Carstenh New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    The Links mentionned above arent really much useful. There are no posts showing any setup for the Benz.

The hint for positive values mean toe-in pointed in the right direction. Standard setup was toe-out at the front, whats obviously no good for a rear-wheel-drive car.

7. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    It’s normal to have a little bit of toe out at the front to help initial steering response and a little bit of toe in at the rear to help rear stability.

Try the following changes:

- Reset the setup
    - Softer front springs
    - Increase rear rebound damping (+2 clicks)
    - Reduce differential preload

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Carstenh

Carstenh New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Ok - thanks !

I am looking for a setup for Nordschleife, because its the track I prefer. With the the standard setup the car turns in ok, then there is quite a lot understeer towards the apex. Exiting slow corners result in massive power-oversteer.
    Softening the front and/or tightening the back suspension makes it even worse !
    Regarding tire temps (73 front / 81 back) I assume it might be a problem at the front end. Cant get the tires working there.

So i am going to check Jardiers Youtube Channel...

9. RWB Rodders

RWB Rodders Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Hey Carsten - I've just got into R3E and only driven cars on default so far. There is a general tendency towards understeer in the default tunes I think and I'm about to pick my fav GT3 - the AMG, to get practicing with tuning and getting rid of that power on understeer is my first priority. I'll share what I learn.

If you want to get started before I get back to you - I'd fiddle with the power diff (assuming it's on power oversteer you are talking about as that's the issue I have) - lower should make the car turn easier on power (might be the other way around, depends how the sim works it - I've seen both ways). Also stiffen rear rollbar or decrease rear camber (move from -ve closer to zero) will also help the car rotate on power. Small incremental changes though or you will just end up spinning out a lot (all 3 things above also make on power spins more likely).

Finally dampers are a good way to micro adjust the car balance but also a way to really mess it up and more complex to use (anyone good with them might want to add their bit).

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Carstenh

Carstenh New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thx for sharing !

From my point of view sub 8 minutes is quite fast. I cant go faster than 8.10 with the Benz.

Are you sure about front dampers ?

11. Carstenh

Carstenh New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
  12. fireballr18

fireballr18 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +75 / 0 / -0
  13. Carstenh

Carstenh New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    No i dont own the book.

14. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    I wouldn't use tire-temps as an indicator when doing set-up work, at least not in R3E.
    I use temps more in-race to see if I'm over-driving the car.
    For set-up work (what little I do) I find it's more beneficial to look at tire-wear instead. If, after 8-10 laps, you have significant differences between front and back tire-wear, you've got a problem (or you're driving a FWD :p )

15. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Disagree here. If I see that the front tires don't come to temperature, I know that I have to do more to get the front running.
    Seen best on the Porsche GT3 Cup.

16. Carstenh

Carstenh New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    @Nico Kunze:
    I have tried your suggestion; must admit that it has pretty low traction. But understeer ist really minimized.
    Thx for sharing !

• Like Like x 1