AI Difficulty

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rhino_WJB, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Rhino_WJB

Rhino_WJB Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure this question can be answered openly by the Devs, but I would like to pose it anyhow: what happens to the AI when the difficulty is adjusted?

When difficulty is increased above 100, what advantage do the AI cars receive? Less drag? Less weight? More grip? More power? Or is there specific "talent" files for each difficulty increment? I notice a marked difference in the AI pace between levels 100 and say 120, but where do they get the extra pace from?

I ask, as from a user's perspective, I'm always trying to improve and find pace, so naturally this means periodically increasing the AI level. There will however be a threshold, where-by the AI could be "artificially" too fast and it not be actually physically possible to match their pace. In that extreme case, there is no point in trying, so I'm curious to know if trying to match a faster AI for pace above 100 in some cases is an impossible task, or is true that the AI never operate beyond the "constants" of a race car/track, and there absolutely is merit in spending time to find any missing pace against higher level AI?

It's a niche and largely academic question I appreciate, but I'm curious nonetheless.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. milewski.lukasz

milewski.lukasz Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    This is a great question that been bugging me as well.

3. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Its possible to match AI at 120%.
    Unfortunately the leaderboards have just been wiped, otherwise it would've been a simple task to check the highest AI levels against the leaderboards.
    Granted, there is maybe a handful of drivers capable of doing so, and I sure as hell will never be able to do it, but it is physically possible.
    So I don't think there's anything artificial about the added pace at higher levels.
    I think it has more to do with the talent-files using more and more of the theoretical grip available. Or in other words, driving the car closer and closer to the limit.
    But without access to the files themselves, this is pure speculation.

4. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    What's got me curious is that I think I read some where that the AI uses the default set ups.
    If that's indeed the case then I ponder the following
    • I've seen the AI roll their car whilst going over the first chicane at Zolder and at the sharp right turn at Zandvoort (turn 8)
      I can't make my car roll on the default set up (on any setup) so it appears that the normal physics rules for AI don't apply!

• I find it hard to believe that with the default setup that the AI set at 120 could take some of the less ideal corner lines and still generate the exit speeds they get out of a corner such as the final corner at Zandvoort.
      When the AI takes the less ideal line through a corner they still seem to be able to hold their speed where if I took that racing line I'd have to back off else I'd slide off the track due to the lack of grip.
    I will say however that even set at 120 the AI braking is not unrealistic (I can still out brake them). To me they just seem to have greater speed (grip) through mid corner and corner exit which makes them faster on the straight.

So it feels like they do have their own set of physics rules but never the less they are still the best AI I've raced against so I'm not complaining..I too am just curious.

I tend to race the AI around the 110-115 strength

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, AI in general uses simplified physics model, but couple patches ago it was changed so the closest car to you is using full model

6. Rhino_WJB

Rhino_WJB Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    It's actually this which prompted my question in the first place. On the higher difficulty levels, I've been passed numerous times by AI (often on the outside) when I'm right on the limit, yet they sail past. Therefore, is it true that a) I am just too slow and need to somehow find a faster way through said corner, or b) the AI have an "artificial" physics advantage and thus there's no point in even trying to match their pace.

7. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    First time I ever heard of this. Any official reference available? I just want to be sure its not just hear-say and rumour before I may refer to this in any future discussion somewhere.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  8. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    30-11-2017
    • AI - Rate for AI calculations is now increased for AI’s in the direct vicinity of the player

I'm pretty sure there was more info about it somewhere and it was said it uses full simulation, but don't feel like digging through internet :p Or maybe I just mixed things up

9. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    Slightly off topic: I've come back to R3E after a 6 month break, and have to say I'm not particularly impressed by the unadjustable aggressiveness of the AI. I have no real problems keeping up with 100% AI, but the average race still involves much diving, punting and shunting from the AI (where only I come off 2nd best), and a lot of AI passing on the outside unaffected by grass and kerbs. Sure they may seem "racy" but it seems to be at the expense of simulated basic etiquette and racecraft. I'm sure I won't be the last person asking for an aggression slider, as is present in every other sim racing game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    Yeah it fantastic hey! It’s what makes the AI so great, white knuckle, seat of your pants, butt puckering racing

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Nano 10

Nano 10 Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    tpw totally agree.

This AI is the opposite of a normal race, I never understood that it is interesting that cars crash all the time.

In addition they continue adding complaints and complaints from former players and new players and it is not fixed.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
  12. kendoslow

kendoslow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    I know you think AC's AI is the best which explains a lot, it's okay, but lacks the real fight you see irl motorsport.
    RaceRoom AI may have some issues and the collision box may need some more tweaks but on the whole they mostly give good battles, especially if you follow @CheerfullyInsane's training method.

• Agree Agree x 5
  13. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    See this is why we all know that you are full of shit mate.
    One of the biggest improvements I've seen with the AI in this update is how they behave in chicanes; particularly at Zolder

Plus I never raced AI in the DTM 2016 series because I always got shunted from behind in braking zones. I did 8x 20 minute races the other night at 8 different tracks and not once did I get shunted off the track.

The developers do listen; they just choose wisely who to listen to :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  14. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, a raise in frequency of a calculations was what I rememberd as well. On the physics model of close AI cars I am still in doubt. If they announced that, I completely missed it.

Occasionally I get touched by AI cars, too, but usually it is such that I rate it as normal race b attling: some paint gets traded, some mirror shaved off, some door-to-door kissing gets done, some reminder gets send that somebody is still on my six. Usually I do not comlain but must say that is exactly what I want to see, and it is not worth to be called "crahsing". AC's old and also new AI now lacks this completely, making it very sterile and lifeless. Fast, reliably in situational awareness, yes: but sterile and lifeless indeed.

With latest update of RR however I found the AI in GT4s apparently having some detail broken, at Zolder And Sachsenring I had a little bit too much of such door kissing, and under circumstances where it should not happen, in turns, and the AI touching, giving room to the side, then returning and touching again, then giving room and sometimes then even returning for a third contact, as if it cannot believe that I am still there. Usually I defend the AI and defend the mild touches here and there, but this looks queer even to a forgiving driver like me. Should be looked into, really. I saw it with GT4s at Zolder and Sachsenring, in turns, always sidedoor to sidedoor, no impacts from behind, always in turns, sometimes beign repeated in just one and the same turn. Strange, definitely something looks broken.

15. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I think this is what they call the BTCC AI model :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. RoccoTTS

RoccoTTS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    In all honesty, the Raceroom AI is not more aggressive than the average race i watch IRL or on TV.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  17. DonArturo

DonArturo Active Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    I would even say raceroom‘s AI is by far the closest to your average irl-race!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Nano 10

Nano 10 Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    RoccoTTS
    "In all honesty, the Raceroom AI is not more aggressive than the average race i watch IRL or on TV"

Don Arturo
    "I would even say raceroom‘s AI is by far the closest to your average irl-race!"

At the end they are funny guys, far from reality and fans but fun too.

Now seriously, the idea of AI aggression slider should take priority in the next patch, let's cross our fingers ...

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
  19. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    I think using term "AI" and "aggresivness" in one post summons this guy

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I just read it as "I'm not good enough so please can I have the option to not allow the AI to pass me..."

75 forum posts all relating to AI aggression, he's commited I'll give him that....

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1