OpenVR support

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RaceRoom, Jan 25, 2017.

1. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    I had the same occur. Very irritating- It’s the new steamVR motion smoothing crap and AReprojection. I had to roll back to a old version and stop steam from updating which is stupid and unfun.

You’ll note on the current steamVR - reprojection is now alway on - and they removed options - on my system it flutters all over the place where as a few weeks back I was running SS 2.1

You can turn reprojection entirely off - but not in the menus cause ... well .. cause they are having a laugh. Regardless, you can click on the hdm visor icon - select mirror and then hit shift and A - then you can start the game

However - it now runs horrible. I was for the record running with it off before. But whatever they’ve done has mucked stuff up.

2. Michael Jeffries

Michael Jeffries Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Yes I did notice that SteamVR is always on with Motion Smoothing and Repro - how can I rollback my version of SteamVR?

3. ndwthx1138

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0

It’s not as hard as this makes it sound but this link will get you all the info and the first post did all the hard work of finding the data.

I wish I had locked up the nvidia driver and the steamVR version from 2 months ago.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/250820/discussions/0/1741101364288717349/

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Michael Jeffries

Michael Jeffries Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I figured out the issue. SteamVR SS estimated my SS for the pimax 5k+ needs to be at 60%. I dropped it down to 60 and then 70% SS and got 90fps. Something changed in their SS Calculations with the pimax probably.

Thanks for the help though.

5. Rella

Rella Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Hello,

trying to set up my Rift and I'm slightly confused how the different settings correlate:

1. Launch parameter (-vr #.#): Is this still being used after the recent update?
    2. Resolution setting in Steam VR: There is a general video resolution slider and an app specific one. Isn't it sufficient to use this setting instead of the launch parameter or is the R3E implementation designed to use their own parameter instead and set Steam to 100%?
    3. Monitor resolution in R3E: That confuses me the most because it also has an impact on the quality of the Rift. I read somewhere I should set the monitor resolution to the lowest possible first. First time when I started in VR I still had the resoltion of my 21:9 monitor set to 3440x1440 and the picture seems to be much clearer. The setting can't be changed while using VR so why does it still impact the resolution of the headset when it's kind of deactivated? It seems to me like this would be the next setting for supersampling. It definitely has an impact because also the timing bar at the top is much smaller then.
    Is there kind of a guide what basic setting I need to configure before I start VR and which settings I'm allowed to change in order to adjust the quality/performance? A guide that is a bit shorter than the 62 pages of discussion here ;) Thanks in advance!

6. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    What I did the last weeks and hopefully answers your questions:

Disabled Startup Parameters. Starting Steam VR and then R3E

Resolution Setting in Steam VR: Don't use the per app slider as it gave me some trouble while racing (SRS starts with some problems on the oculus) Disabling the per app feature and using the general slider fixed it complete

Monitor resolution has an impcat in the quality on your rift. Setting it higher, betters the quality, lowers the performance. You have to play with ingame resolution and SS to handle it. More Resolution - less SS or vice versa. It changes nothing except this.

• Like Like x 1
  7. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Some additional notes to your questions:
    1. this option is still working but only when you start Raceroom and select the option without VR.
    2. as @FormelLMS already said, the option per App is causing some trouble - not only in raceroom. So select the general SuperSampling-Slider and set the value there - 180 or 200% for example.
    3. Yes, Raceroom still uses the monitor-resolution from the graphic-settings and so it has an impact in performance and quality as @FormelLMS said. If possible you should try to set it to 1920x1080. That resolution will be the base for the Super-Sampling and IMO it is a good compromise between quality and performance. With your current resolution you might loose some frames due to the higher resolution without noticing anything due to the aspect ratio of 21:9 .
    And don't forget - the output on the rift can be mirrored on the Monitor, too.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rella

Rella Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108 / 0 / -0
    Thanks guys, I will try these settings.

9. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the info. Didnt know SS used the monitors resolution as base. So since I have my monitor res set to 720p, that’s where my SS is based on? Been running this way per some suggestions here, as part of lowered settings to keep 90fps.

10. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Yes - well in fact it seems like that. As that Performance-Tip came up, I've tried that and yes, the Frames where higher and more constant, but I noticed that the result wasn't as sharp and crisp as before.
    It seems that (in your case) the game now renders in 720p send it to the HMD that renders that image into the Resolution of the Headset. As the Headset already has a higher Resolution, it does some Supersampling it self.

11. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Uh, could someone please explain the world scale thing? I always was rheet on standard setting but now someone told me, that I have to set my eyes distance there.
    Like what I did in the Oculus settings. There I've set mine to the regular 61 mm.
    So do I have to set world scale to 0,61?

12. ndwthx1138

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    This only affects the in game menus as far as “being soft”. The rest of the game is running at whatever resolution you have super sampling set to. I find it well worth the performance gain to have menus that are soft.

13. m.bohlken

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    For me the video-quality while driving was not as crisp as having a higher resolution set in game.

14. ndwthx1138

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    That simply doesn’t make any sense, so not sure how that can be. The in game resolution is literally for those menus.

15. ronian

ronian New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Anyone else having issues with the scale of the cockpits being off? The dash and the rest of the car seems to be stretched but other cars and the rest of the tracks seems fine. It feels like the windshield is about 6 feet in front of me and the bumper of the car 15ft. Anyone else having this issue? (Running odyssey+).

16. Michael Jeffries

Michael Jeffries Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Yes I had a similar issue until i stumbled across camera options that moved the IPD. It's in the settings and it takes your "PD" i believe it said and multiplies it by a factor. Mine was at .67 x 1.1 or so, and I put it down to 1.0, and it made the cockpit seem just right. You need to set the camera options and play with the settings until it looks right.

Im on a Pimax 5k+ by the way

17. Michael Jeffries

Michael Jeffries Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    By the way, does anyone know how to keep RaceRoom from locking the mouse inside their window? I can't stand then when I'm in VR. I can't change settings in other windows I have open.

18. Michael Jeffries

Michael Jeffries Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I noticed that also. read my statement above. Mine looked off and i stumbled across this setting yesterday. The multiplier was over 1.0, so I set it from .67 where's at at now to multiply by 1.0, and it came off just right for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. ronian

ronian New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks a lot. This did help get the cockpit looking closer to what I would expect. The steering wheel and hands in game are much too small now but I guess of the two I would prefer the scale of the wheel being off than the dash/hood. Hopefully they can fix this as I've played many other VR race sims and never had an issue with the scale such as this.

20. Michael Jeffries

Michael Jeffries Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Yes, this was a first for me. I've never seen a setting like this in any other sim.