Offline custom liveries

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brototype, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Brototype

Brototype Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    I know that custom liveries for multiplayer have been a controversial topic in this community and I'm not planning in creating another endless discussion no one benefits from.

But since we've got this beautiful AI selector for singleplayer, recreating real life racing events can be done pretty precisely. While doing that I'm running out of skins really fast even tho R3E already offers a lot of skins.
    So what about a feature that allows us to import custom liveries just for singleplayer / offline races?

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    there is no offline play , your always connected , and i dont believe that the game will create a custom livery tool

my opinion

Andi

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Got to say, I would be massively onboard with this. The fact that in all the great skins there are very few team cars (e.g. #28 and #29 Land Audi) is always a disappointment to me and the inconsistency between the number plates of different series always looks untidy. Raceroom is far from the only game to have this issue and I understand why it hallens, but I'd love to be able to overwrite certain skins in folders, even if I'm the only one that can see them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Vern Wozza

Vern Wozza New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @Brototype - I too would love this as an option. An idea I had recently was what if a user could create a livery and submit it to RR for approval and then put it on the store to sell?

Maybe pick sponsors from an approved list? And the author would of course not need to pay for the skin as they created it.

Something that really bugs me about the DTM cars is that someone else's name is on a plate, inside the car! Personally that really winds me up.

As a professional graphic designer I actually owe my entire career to sim racing, I first learned to use photoshop by skinning cars for GP3 back in 2001. In some cases I actually prefer skinning the cars to actually racing hahaha. I wish they would allow us to skin cars in RR.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    dont take what i say as something that will or is going to happen , i dont ever see custom skins happening in this format of the game , what i hope will happen is that in the window , etc with the car number it will eventually be able to have your name replacing the Ai drivers name , or the car skins drivers name .... i think the custom skin thing even with selescted sponsor (sponsor A may not want to be linked to sponsor C ) and as some races are streamed etc ... you see where im going

Andi

• Like Like x 1
  6. Vern Wozza

Vern Wozza New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Got ya.

Even if the name situation was solved that would be a huge step in the right direction.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Bindaree Racing

Bindaree Racing Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I don't see why it can't happen, especially for offline play. If they wanted to limit the function either due to system capabilities or sponsor conflict, just use a skinning system like they did on the Shift 2 game. You were given a list of set sponsors, which no doubt the said sponsors would have had to sign off on and be aware of other sponsors signing on. This would remove the sponsor clash in my opinion. You were also given a large number of decals to choose from too. The sponsor decals had to go in certain spots on the vehicles as well.
    Using a system like this, I think would cover all bases. It keeps the gamer happy with being able to personalise their experience within the game and the game developer happy as this system (Shift 2 skinning model) does not really allow for ugly skins on cars.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Vern Wozza

Vern Wozza New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I tend to agree. I pretty much play exclusively offline, or in RR case in single player mode as the game is always connected to the net.

I think that's why I have spent so much time on rfactor2 in the past as it's so customisable as an offline game.

I get the impression the rationale for not allowing this in single player mode would be that they make money on selling skins in game. If this was the case then I put it to RaceRoom execs that I would pay good money to unlock single player skinning, somewhere in the region of £10 probably.

I know that may be an unpopular position but I genuinely would pay to unlock that feature.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    If they just allowed overwriting the skin locally, so it wouldn't need to display online but just in your machine, that would work perfectly for me. Similar to how it works in DiRT Rally. No-one else would be able to see it and you'd still have to buy liveries for 'slots'.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    After 2 years of absence i returned to Raceroom and just joined a league to race the new WTCR cars. But it still bothers me, that there were still no attempts been made to support custom skins. Every other sim on the market supports that.
    It makes me quite sad, that the owner of Raceroom seems to have absolutely no interest to implement custom skin support. I think it would be also a welcome feature for league racing and eSport. And even if the business model of Raceroom (regarding liveries) is different to other sims, but surely there are solutions which wouldn't conflict with the business model.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. NL-Jos

NL-Jos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +182 / 0 / -0
    Online change numbers could be welcome imo

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I've seen so many terrible custom skins over the years that not having them in RR is a refreshing change tbh

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    And i've seen so many fantastic custom skins over the years, that not having them in RR is a great loss of creativity.

Even a basic livery editor (with different presets and selectable colors like in iRacing) would be a step in the right direction to individualise the cars visually.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  14. Thomas Friedrich

Thomas Friedrich Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    ...for those who don’t want custom skins to be shown, there could be implemented an option to turn it off. That was also mentioned a few times...

This topic was brought up so many times by the community over the last YEARS and all the points for it being so important (in regard of league racing or eSports) have been made very clear all that times! There were also reactions/posts months ago from @Robert Wiesenmüller and @J-F Chardon I can remember, stating that it would be ‚investigated‘ and ‚discussed‘! So I think the demand and importance for the community is very well known by S3, sadly there were (close to) none reactions/statements furthermore over the last months!

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. fufsgfen

fufsgfen Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    Maybe after you have all skins for the vehicle, that would allow to buy custom skin slot for the vehicle, then it would not interfere with the business model.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    This thread is about skins for use in singleplayer, nothing to do with leagues or e-sports...

17. Thomas Friedrich

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    This „buy a slot“ model was also suggested a few times by the community, no official mentioning or commenting from S3 on this either!

18. Thomas Friedrich

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    I doubt there is a difference regarding implementation, licensing, etc., but would be great to hear from S3.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Would BMW be happy with their cars being displayed racing with dick pills sponsorship though? Doubt it. It's already been stated in other threads that some liveries were rejected because the manufacturer didn't approve them so opening the door for literally any livery is unlikely to happen.

20. Thomas Friedrich

Ratings:
    +192 / 0 / -0
    You know, all this has been discussed a lot of times. Also the fact, that there is no difference in online/offline(singleplayer), because aside from live-streaming an online race, you can also upload a singleplayer replay.... the facts that iRacing and AC allow custom liveries, although the have official licenses from car manufacturers too, was also discussed. I think we both agree, that there is the time for S3 to make a statement!

• Agree Agree x 2