How exhausted are you after you pushed it to the limit?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Ablaze, Jan 8, 2019.

?

How exhausted are you after you pushed it to the limit?

1. Not exhausted at all

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. Just a little jaded

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. I need a rest after a session

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Usually I'm knackered

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. Completely worn out

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  6. I'm sweating

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  7. I'm sweating and stinking

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  8. Please call me a doctor

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  1. Ablaze

Ablaze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    I mounted a sequential shifter and a handbrake to my cockpit and tested the new equipment in Dirt Rally. After nearly an hour I was soaking wet and smelled like a skunk. I don't exaggerate. I needed to take a shower and had to change clothes (all of them). When using paddle shifters and no handbrake it wasn't that bad before but when only the left arm can deal with the DD wheel and the right arm constantly whizzing between shifter and handbrake I get exhausted pretty heavy. :D
    I got curious if I'm the only one so here we are...

How about you guys? How do you feel after the checkered flag?

• Like Like x 1
  2. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Depends on your equipment I suppose. My wheel isnt strong enough to tax me too much. I do get aching legs from pedal work though. It's the concentration required rather than the physical effort that gets me, after a hard race my brain is fried.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Arcson

Arcson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I was wondering the same. I don't really feel any physical tiredness, but mentally I'm often exhausted. Even after a 20 minute race against real drivers when I'm more focused not to make any mess. It's nice to hear I'm not the only one :D

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  4. Neil Bateman

Neil Bateman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    Only since getting my CSW v2.5 and CS V3 pedals and having strong FFB settings have i gotten so knackered while sim racing, with my old G27 not so much.

5. Ablaze

Ablaze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    Absolutely. When I think back using a Fanatec Porsche Wheel with ClubSport pedals V1 it was almost relaxing to play with it. After every upgrade to my equipment it got more intense.

There's a nice video from the Simpit where Shaun Cole compares different methods for gear shifting. Best part is at 12:20 :D

And that's how I feel after a hard session. :)

6. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Exhausted, nope but 1/2hr qualy and a 4 lap race at the ring my eyes feel like they been on a sunbed and buckets of sweat on me head with the samsung vr ;)

7. Jorgen Wahlby

Jorgen Wahlby Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    After a 45-60min race I am sweeting so a shower is sometimes needed or atleast a new T-shirt :D

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Have a shower ya tramp :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    Driving high downforce cars through fast corners with my Simucube is getting me exhausted quite good.
    In certain situations the steering can get so heavy that I have to breath like a woman giving birth to gain strength to hold the steering angle :-D
    Anyone seeing this would believe I'm nuts.

A 60 minutes race and I'm sweating and feel like run over by a truck.

After a day with dirt rally my wrists hurt for some days and I could not lift 5kg+ objects at work lol.
    "I played too hard on the computer"...

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    You should probably turn it down, that's no where near realistic....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Ablaze

Ablaze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    Have you ever been driving a go kart?

12. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Actually, having done some research I take that last comment back. Here is Niels in a long video calculating max steering force in an unassisted mid 90s F1 car. It's 28Nm!!!! What the hell. Even DD wheels cannot go high enough....

13. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Yes. Many times.

14. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    28Nm steering torque actually translate to 190N of force when you use a Momo Mod27, which is/was often used in race cars. 190N are 19kg.. that doesn't sound much, but it's turning a wheel with a 19kg weight attached at its ends

That's why race drivers train with big heavy exercising weights which they always turn quickly, pretending it's a steering wheel.

:-D
    the thing in iracing is that you have different ffb strengths with different cars at the same ffb settings.
    I set the FFB so that the Mazda MX5 with power steering or other power steering cars just feel like my car at home, although my sim-wheel has a smaller diameter (and I don't have this super-light powersteering I once had in a Peugeot 308.. there I only needed the pinky finger for everything).

But when you then switch to a GT3 car the steering gets much(!) heavier.. on an oval track it's really tough at full speed through the banked corners...

and when you switch to a car like the Radical SR8 with no power steering at all, the FFB is very challenging, especially in high speed corners.. and if you're (un)lucky it's a high speed corner in a dip (like Fuchsröhre) which loads the tires even more. Taking into account that I set the MX5 steering force with my smaller diameter wheel, the SR8 should be even stronger because it has a smaller steering wheel than the Mazda MX5. (or maybe iracing already takes these differences into account)

(you can still use car dependent settings)

In Dirt Rally I only use 35% FFB strength in simucube, but with all the jumps it's getting very tough on the landings.

The "Large MiGE (30Nm)" would be capable of 90's F1 cars steering forces.. but unless you are a trained F1 driver... you should probably don't try it. I really cannot imagine how they could make more than 1 lap in these cars.. just watch all the 100% FFB challenges on youtube, they are all crying for mami :D

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019