0 wing on GT3 cars still a thing?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ravey1981, Jan 21, 2019.

1. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I'm busy with setting up my Merc AMG for the upcoming Bathurst event. I currently have rear wing at 3 clicks, I know I am losing out a bit on the straights but any lower and the rear gets really loose on the two fast left handers before the skyline section. Turn in and traction out of bends are fairly good.

I know everyone says run rear wing at minimum but I dont seem to be able to...

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. fufsgfen

fufsgfen Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    When I'm driving GT3 cars, then I have different TC settings for some corners, not really sure if that helps you as usually it is slow corners where I choose profile with higher TC. So every lap I adjust TC several times as there is different setting for different part of the track, which then allows me to have bit different tune as there is TC to help on some nasty parts.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Just been watching some laps and some guys are taking those corners flat where I am having to lift slightly. I think I definitely need to work on my line through that section but adding more mechanical grip to the back end via springs and dampers just brings the balance back and makes turn in more difficult....

I'm by no means a fast driver, my time is currently mid 2.05 and there's definitely a low 2.05 on the setup I have. Fast guys are doing 2.01

I think for the race I will run an even more stable (slow) setup as I see a lot of drivers ending up in the walls at this track....better safe than sorry.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. m.bohlken

m.bohlken Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +988 / 0 / -0
    Definitely... Wing 0 is still working on GT3s but the two fast corners on top of the hill are a bit tricky then... maybe having a look a the differential-setting can help with that...
    If you found a setup you feel comfortable with, be sure to make a few test-stints to see how the car behaves with different tire-condition and fuel-load... that can really make a difference in bathurst...

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Yeah setup is more or less sorted, I don't mind being a mid pack driver.....not everyone can be super fast, I do want to finish though! Will hopefully run couple of practice races against AI to test fuel and tyres.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
  7. Yevgeny Lazorenko

Yevgeny Lazorenko Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +793 / 0 / -0
    I am able to run with 0 wing almost with every GT3 car and I wonder how "real" is it?
    Does 0 wing exists in real life GT3 motorsports?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    I believe I have read that 0 wing in raceroom does not mean zero - but instead means the lowest it can go on the selected car. It of course gets more odd when they have a few cars that don't go to zero but instead max out on the low end at 3 (BMW M6 comes to mind). Hopefully someone corrects me, but even at Monza, GT3 cars are using some amount of downforce..

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  9. Carstenh

Carstenh New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Problem isn't that you can set rear wing to zero. But being able to go quicker around a corner by decreasing downforce indicates that theres a problem. Less downforce is supposed to do it the other way round.

The aerodynamic balance of the Gt3 cars in R3E is poor.

10. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    I don't find your first statement to be true. High speed turns do seem to benefit from more wing, but I have to alter setups to run 0-1 aero.

Zandvoort for example I run 2-3 wing and can drop in the low/mid 1:37's consistently.

Bathhurst I can drop into the high 2:02's but need 1 click on aero to get section 2 and the last chicane decent. I've been on track with folks pulling low 2:02's and they are not gaining on me on the straights.. mostly section 2 (uphill).

What I don't get is why no matter the track - very low aero is needed for the fastest times - I think there is an issue as well, but in my opinion there is basically 3-4 settings for aero that are useful - the first 4 settings of the gt3 cars are all that's ever needed.

I think we need someone who is always fast like Thomas Jansen to weigh in - he's lightening fast and consistent.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  11. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    It's complicated though because drag still occurs when cornering, so assuming there is enough grip to get around a corner at a given speed lowering wing reduces drag and the car goes faster. Obviously reducing wing reduces load on the tyres and gives you less grip. But you see what I mean...it's not just a case of more downforce, higher corner speed. It's getting the balance between speed and grip that counts. The game does seem broken with these cars in that under no cicumstances would you run high wing, maybe that's what happens in real life though, who knows...

Mainly on these cars the wing is used to balance the car, my problem is that at 3 it's nicely balanced but slow on the straights, at 0 it's very loose on the rear in some parts of the track (dangerously so).

I would be very interested to see if the fastest guys are running 0 wing and if so how they are balancing the car through other settings....

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. stobbs

stobbs Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    When setting up gt3s if I reduce the rear wing - thus reducing the weight on the rear, especially at hi speed corners - I normally reduce the rear spring rate accordingly. I find this maintains balance whilst giving a bit more top speed.

13. Nir Tal

Nir Tal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +53 / 0 / -0
    From the all GT3s cars, I usually drive the Porsche and manage to set a good setup (wing at 0) i use for most of the tracks.
    I tried this setup with wing at 3-4 and i can tell you it loose ~3kph of top speed and only above ~240kph.
    So if top speed on the track is lower then 240 - not much to loose.

The benefit is a bit of shorter brake distance so u can gain a bit there. From cornering perspective - I use it mostly on tracks with lot of elevation changes to reduce snap oversteer, no gain in corner speed as far as i can tell

14. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    My feelings about the 0 wing in RR summed up in 1 picture.
    [​IMG]
    WTF, how ;)

• Creative Creative x 1
  15. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    It is a thing for now but will be rectified soon. See GT2 cars for an example of what's possible.

• Like x 6
    • Informative x 2
    • Love it! x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Winner x 1
  16. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Haha I've had that exact same crash many, many, many times....

17. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    @Nico Kunze any chance I could have a look at your setup...interested to see where it differs (if any) from mine. I promise not to go faster than you (in fact I can guarantee it!!)

18. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, i'll post mine up later and then you can all laugh!

You have front dampers all soft and rear all hard.....wasn't expecting that.....

19. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    This is my effort for the AMG... Feel free to point out any glaring mistakes, be interesting to know what others can run on my setup (then I'll know for sure I'm a bad driver!!)

Attached Files:

20. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Yeah i can do a low 2.05 on it. I think it's me that's slow though not the setup.... I haven't had time to run any laps tonight, maybe Wednesday if I'm lucky....