FOV (Field of View) if you don't have triples, ONE computer screen is just fine

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Turtle Power, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    FOV (Field of View) if you don't have triples, ONE computer screen is just fine.

Raceroom FOV at 1x

Raceroom FOV at 0.6x (recently discussed topic)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  2. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    While triples and VR undoubtedly better I have no issues racing on a single screen. If you look at videos of people's triple screen setups 95% of what you need to see happens on the centre screen anyway. It's only really hairpin apexes and peripheral vision when in traffic that you miss (crew chief helps with that anyway). I do run a very slightly wider FOV than what would be true life, but it's so small it's not noticeable. It makes me cringe when I see people running single screen with the entire cockpit visible. A good comparison is to sit in your road car and actually look at what you can see in front of you, bearing in mind a race car seat will always be lower and further back....

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. fufsgfen

fufsgfen Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    For me, there is one and only one settings which allows me to hit my braking points and apexes, any higher or lower and I'm more inconsistent and that is where I set my FOV.

What exact number is, I don't care, if it is calculated accurate measured, I don't care either, I test different values and fine one that works for me and I don't really even pay attention what the number is, it just is something which appear natural.

I have thought about setting up FaceTrackNoIR, but then again I get dizzy if I use buttons to glance or if there is any kind of shaking or vibrating of camera, so I'm not all too sure that would really work for me.

I have 27" screen as close as wheel will allow it to sit (foot of monitor is bit of bad shape so I could get monitor 7cm closer if I would saw off part of monitor foot), so view angle is quite ok, far better than what used to be with 4:3 screens and especially at CRT era, when you really could not put your face too close.

4. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Note that the vibrations or shake you see in this video are not transfered to the monitors. Its just me holding the camera and getting shaked by steering forces :D

5. fufsgfen

fufsgfen Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    I'm puzzled, does that classify as motion platform? :D

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  6. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    N
    Nope :p

7. RWB Charger

RWB Charger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    While racing on a single monitor with the correct FOV is fine (and getting the FOV right helps) you really miss that peripheral vision, I could not race on a single screen any more, I have my FOV set very close to yours so that my wheel matches the curvature of the dash like yours but have so much more left and right to see such as other racers, apexes, side mirrors etc and the sense of speed is much better, just overall more immersion.

Try it in a real car and fix your head straight forward and put blinkers on each side of your eyes and drive like that, that's what a single screen is like to me, even with triples I don't have to move my head just glance across with my eyes as I would do in a real car, single screen is like tunnel vision.

Don't forget a single is 16:9 but triples are 48:9, cracks me up when people say I have a 60inch 4K TV at 3840x2160, yeah but it's still 16:9 so you don't actually see any more than a 24" screen just everything is bigger.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Of course you see more, because the window into the world is bigger hence a higher FOV. Resolution has nothing to do with FOV it's the size and position of the monitor that matters.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. RWB Charger

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    It doesn't work like that though, my FOV would be the same in game settings whether on single or triples, what you are referring to is width not FOV, if you set a FOV at 50 on a single it will look the same on triples if you turned the side monitors off, mine looks exactly like the OP's if I did that.

Aspect ratio is what gives you the bigger world view, 16:9 on a 24 is the same as 16:9 on a 60, you don't see any extra width unless you raise the FOV to let you see say the side windows which then becomes an incorrect FOV, the OP has the ideal FOV there as is mine, just the extra aspect ratio gives me the side view, I do not see any more height than the OP as my ratio is still 9

10. FlakNine

FlakNine Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    I've got no space for triples and not yet ready to jump into VR. I was lucky enough to win a competition where I won a Tobii 4C eye-tracker (Google it, can't post links yet). Although R3E doesn't offer native support, I could get it working by using FaceTrackNoIR and (for me) it's worked really well. I keep the effect fairly subtle, and find it way less disorienting than using buttons to glance left/right - having said that, I limit the left/right movement with the eye tracking so I cannot look a full 90° left or right.

11. RWB Charger

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    This is what I mean, my monitor is a bit further back as my base is long but if you look at my centre screen it's about the same FOV as the OP but I have more side aspect while maintaining a low FOV in game.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  12. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    It doesn't matter how FOV is calculated, vertically or horizontally the effect is the same. Respectfully, you are wrong. A 60inch screen at 600mm from the eye allows more world view than a 24inch screen at 600mm as you run a higher FOV. The screen is just an opening into the virtual world. What you are talking about is 3 screens of the same size, of course you see more as they are physically bigger...IE a bigger opening into the world.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. RWB Charger

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Respectfully I think you are wrong, a 60inch at 600mm gives a 'bigger' world view than a 24inch at 600mm the aspect ratio is the same still at 16:9, you would just put a 60incher further away and keep the same FOV, if you start going higher FOV on the same aspect ratio then you are doing the same thing as you would on a 24" closer it would be incorrect and you would start seeing the whole cockpit which narrows the visual road.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
  14. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Hold a piece of paper in front of your face, at 600mm everything you can't see is what would be on the screen. Hold that same piece of paper at 300mm. The paper blocks more, more of the world would be on the screen. That's how FOV works. Now tell me you don't see more of the world on a 60inch screen at the same distance as a 24inch screen. How do you think VR works? Small screen very close to the eyes (with a lens to allow thwneyenyo focus at that distance)

The whole point is you don't move the bigger screen away....you keep it at the same distance and adjust the FOV so it is correct at that setup.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. RWB Charger

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    I understand what you are saying and I think we are getting mixed up with eye FOV and game field of view, on a 24 or 60inch screen at say a FOV of 50 in game with a 16:9 would look exactly the same in terms of what you see on screen but scaled up directly in proportion as the AR is the same, if you move the bigger screen closer to your eyes then yes you have more eye FOV as the screen is physically bigger, like your piece of paper analogy the paper looks smaller further away but the closer you bring it makes it look bigger but the AR of the paper has not changed nor has the game FOV.

16. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
  17. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Exactly. That's what I'm saying. It's nothing to do with aspect ratio, it's the physical coverage of the screen that matters.

18. RWB Charger

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    It doesn't matter what calculators say, if you increase FOV in game on a 60" screen because it's bigger does not make it the correct FOV you are just pushing it further back which decreases the width of the road for the sake of extra peripheral vision, increasing the sense of speed disproportionally to your aspect ratio.

If I did this on a 24" screen and had it 6mm from my eyes then that would look the same as a 60inch at 600mm, the in game FOV would still be wrong

• Disagree Disagree x 5
  19. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    You're so wrong. There is only one correct FOV and it concerns only the size of the screen and the distance from the eye. Bigger screen, same eye distance, larger FOV. There's nothing more to it.

• Agree Agree x 5
  20. RWB Charger

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Not larger FOV though this is what I am trying to say.

I used the calculator for these results, 24" screen 16:9, lowest I could get was 20" close to the screen calculates a FOV of 0.5, a 60" screen is 2.5 times the size of of a 24" so you would take the distance to sit at 2.5x 20" so 50 inches away on a 60" the calculator say a FOV of 0.5 exactly the same.

You move the 60" screen closer which makes everything bigger of course but then increase the FOV to compensate which then starts to give you more FOV and warps the image further away, it may give you a sense of seeing more but it;s just altering the scale.

• Disagree Disagree x 2