Brake with or without ABS in gt3

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by benoityip, Feb 10, 2019.

1. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Right. And if you look at the ethos behind the GT3 regs you will find that ABS and TC are present to help the AM/gentleman drivers. There is a reason why some drivers in BGT are pro and some run ice-cream companies.

2. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    F1 teams would sell their grandmother to be able to use TC and ABS.

3. GrimeyDog

GrimeyDog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    IMO To date No Sim accurately replicates ABS/TCS feel... there are alot of other things to consider regarding the ABS vs No ABS... Most Notably there is No Seat of pants feel... RRE has Great Sound Quality that makes up for most of the lack of SOP feel <-- You can Clearly hear the wheels at the on set of wheel lock up and also feel it in the wheel...

After Not using ABS/TCS for sooo long Most of the time I choose Not to use ABS/TCS because in most cars i don't like the way it feels... It just doesn't feel natural to Me... I find that i brake better by Wheel feel and listening for wheel lock up... Nope I'm Not the fastest guy on the track but Not the slowest either... But i can Run consistent lap times.

ABS vs No ABS Bottom line No real Need for heated debate because it all about personal choice.

Practice with ABS On you will be fast as you can be... Practice with ABS/TCS off you will run the same lap times... Its all about what you get used to because subconsciously you develop Muscle Memory in regards to how hard you need to press the brake pedal.

I will say A Good Set of pedals help alot... I use CSP v3i for Me they work really well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    If you use simhub or simvibe you can have a shaker under the pedals which gives feedback at the exact point the front wheels begin to lock (abs off) It works very very well.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. benoityip

benoityip Active Member

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    Will the brake pedal bounce back in real race but cars when abs is engaged? I don't have force feedback in brake pedal so it is difficult for me to feel.

Anyone has force feedback brake pedal to share their experience with abs in game?

Bosch is a famous abs company, according to their product, it does up to
    40 times a second ABS reduces brake pressure then increases it again. I also checked Mazda YouTube video, it said it is up to 20 times per second

If we have a telemetry of wheel spinning speed in raceroom, we can find out how abs works in raceroom. Alex in previous post hinted that abs is simulated correctly. In real life, we control the abs threshold based on setup, this can be found in iracing

I guess in real life learning threshold braking with abs is easy, you just hit the brake till there is no brake pedal vibration.

In game, when I drive Bathurst, the abs significantly reduce the braking distance at the top of the hill. This corner (first corner downhill right , followed by left)is very very challenging to brake without abs. I drive BMW M3 Gt2 without abs, the brake distance is much longer. And what is even more challenging in gt2, different cars has different locking threshold, this make that corner even more challenging. My time for Bathurst in the BMW m3 gt2 is 2:03

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  6. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    i think you can leave out the abs and tc

Andi

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. GrimeyDog

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    Interesting:)... I have a Buttkicker under the pedals:D I never considered Sim Vibe until your comment... I will definitely look into it... Do i have to use a seperate sound card to use sim vibe or sim commander??? or can i run it off the Mobo audio output?

8. [RWB] FxUK

[RWB] FxUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Depends on your MB audio output :p
    For instance, I have a Realtek system (Asus MAXIMUS VIII EXTREME MB) which allows multiple simultaneous outputs. I can have the buttkicker run from one output and headset/speakers from the other.

image.PNG

Although I do use a separate sound card myself. Simvibe is totally worth it in comparison to splitting audio from your sound output because you get physics data instead of audio to control the vibrations. i.e in Pcars 2 (the only time I tried audio) the wipers used to set off the buttkicker because of the thump they made, you get none of this with simvibe, it feels awesome in Raceroom (better than Pcars 2 tbh)

• Like Like x 1
  9. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Seperate, yeah. But I just use a dirt cheap usb sound card. I'm only running 2 channels. 1 under the seat and 1 under the pedals.

Simhub is free to use or fully unlocked with a small donation. It runs my dash and collects lap data too....its brilliant.

• Like Like x 1
  10. RWB 3vil

RWB 3vil Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    The ABS and TC in Blancpain isnt just useful for the lower tier drivers to improve overall safety. It helps all the drivers maintain better tyre wear too. The BP GT3 series run on a single set of tyres for a few hours as they run endurance races anywhere between 4 - 6 -12 - 24 hours. The regs dont allow them to fuel and get fresh rubber on the same pit stop (unless that has changed recently) so they have to manage tyres a lot and having the factory systems in place helps them immensely.

11. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Last time i watched there were 1h, 3h, one 6h and one 24h race and you could always pit for fuel and tires. You just arent allowed to change tires while refuelling because of safety rules. But once refuelling is done you can throw on some new rubber

12. RWB 3vil

RWB 3vil Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0

Must be Weathertec IMSA series then running 3 12 and 24 hour races then

13. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Race length wise maybe but regarding fuel and tires at the same stop im pretty sure its allowed there as well :D

14. sbarro3

sbarro3 Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I loved it... :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. RWB 3vil

RWB 3vil Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    You may well be right, i was referring to the race lengths they do though.

16. RacingSym

RacingSym Active Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    i use the regular settings. If series have tc and abs i use it. I drive most with 5%-15% Tc and improve with the damage on the tires. But i have to be hornest, i need view labs with without abs.

17. Whipdiddywhip

Whipdiddywhip Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    can a driver be as quick without abs and tc? yes

will said driver be as consistent without abs and tc? no

18. GrimeyDog

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    Its a Learned thing...Once I got used to No TCS/ABS when I turn it on Laps times are +.500 to 1 full sec slower... Its just a matter of what you are used to Assist On/Off but most importantly how well you know the Track and Car.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mandorelli

Mandorelli Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Today, ABS and TC are (or could be) a massive boost performance for EVERY HUMAN in real racing.
    The other side of the coin is... talent leveling.

A 'GT3 Pro" driver braking "harder and better" than 'GT3 AM' driver (telemetry never lies) but... the performance is closer with ABS and TC than without them.

About ABS, the best values in my opinion:
    1) It's like to have 4 pedals for each wheels (MARTIANS, PRO and AM drivers).
    2) Safe the tyres... (blurt out? I don't have the right word, sorry!) (PRO and AM+++ drivers)
    3) Ego-booster for Gentleman driver :-D
    4) Gentleman ego-booster + their money = allows the Pros to race :-D

Summing up in few words
    ABS+TC for a Pro means 'better performance'
    ABS+TC for a AM means 'driving aids' to achive 'basic performance'

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  20. robertallinson

robertallinson New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0