Problem Frozen display (but game still running)

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by haik, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Paul Darke

Paul Darke Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. I will add them to the report.

2. Lucas dos Santos

Lucas dos Santos Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Thank you! :)

3. Peter Müllner

Peter Müllner Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I know the problem of freezing, too and I can not play for weeks anymore. Everything already tried to make it work. After hours of weeks, uninstall, install, replace and replace all possible driver files. Rebooting the system did not help. You also get no response from the operator of this game if you send them the crash file. The forum made a great effort to find the mistake. I had to switch to another game because Raceroom is not playable for me. Solution or answer, there are no more from the forum or operator.

Ich kenne das Problem des einfrieren, auch und ich kann seit Wochen nicht mehr spielen. Alles schon probiert um es zum laufen zubringen. Nach Stunden Tagen Wochen von deinstallieren, installieren, austauschen und ersetzen aller möglichen Dateien Treiber. Neu aufsetzen des System hat nichts geholfen. Man bekommt auch keine Antwort der Betreiber dieses Spieles wenn man ihnen die Crashdatei übermittelt. Das Forum bemühte sich sehr den Fehler zu finden. Ich musste umsteigen auf ein anderes Spiel da Raceroom für micht nicht Spielbar ist. Lösung oder Antwort gibt es keine mehr vom Forum oder Betreiber.

4. Lucas dos Santos

Lucas dos Santos Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Hi guys!

I'm back to bring more details about the issue.

I just realized that this issue doesn't happen in Portimao track. I can drive there without problems. I'm am not sure, but I think that it never happened in Sepang too. I need to do more tests.

It looks like a "track specific" issue. Raceroom Raceway and Zandvoort are the tracks where I had that problem. I don't remember if it occurred in other tracks. I need to do more tests.

I hope that info can be useful to track what is causing this issue. Would be useful if more people with this issue reported here in which tracks it occurred.

Forget what I've said above! I just had that issue today in Portimao. :( It was a 12 min online race and it happened on the last lap, before the checkered flag. :mad:

Before, I was in a 15 min online race in Sepang without problems.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  5. Lucas dos Santos

Lucas dos Santos Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    I'm starting to suspect that this could be a hardware issue and not a game issue. I just found out that this problem occurs in Grid 2 too. It's exactly the same issue.

Someone managed to capture it in video:

6. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Ive had the exact same happen in vr and always put it down to vr\steam\samsung issue, can happen 2 or 3 times in a night then not happen at all for days, Nvidia drivers by any chance.

7. AMG Vilas ®™

AMG Vilas ®™ Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    Pareil mes amis faite bouger les studio3 merci

8. AMG Vilas ®™

AMG Vilas ®™ Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    I think I found the answer uninstalled the driver realtek audio e NAHIMIK plus reinstalled the audio driver of your motherboard it works perfect

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    I use a dedicated sound card, onboard is disabled, it may work for you but isnt the cause of my problem.

10. Hyper_Fusion

Hyper_Fusion New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I installed the game over the weekend as the content was free to use and had no issues so I have been playing around trying to get the ffb feeling good and downloaded the RMG -g27.rcs file to test feedback and it started freezing.
    Just removed that file from docs game folder and now its not loading in to servers and hangs and goes back to server list.

not sure if this is coincidence?

My specs.
    Asus ROG Strix X390-f gaming mobo
    i5 9600k
    Gtx 1070 ti Cerberus
    16gb ram

any help would be appreciated.

11. TheJackal

TheJackal Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Hi everyone,

I've also been plagued by this issue!

I've been doing a load of testing on my current setup (see down below) and I've come to one simple conclusion, in my case its down to GPU overclocking. I'm running a 1050ti (MSI 1050Ti Gaming X 4G) at 1440p and was struggling to get a consistent 60fps so I pushed the GPU to +130 (MHz). Framerate got better but still not perfect on the heavier tracks so I pushed it a bit more (+135) and the random freezes started happening.

One interesting thing I did notice is that just before the video freeze (game and sound keep working) the GPU usage in MSI Afterburner spikes to 100% and then drops down to <10%.

I can bring the GPU back down to +130 and do a 1h long race without any issues at all with a GPU usage of around 80%, higher and I always run into random video freezes (game and sound keep working). If I push the GPU to +150 then the game most times won't even get past the RaceRoom splash screen. Any higher than +150 and it definitely won't get past the splash screen.

Weird thing is, other games with different engines (Source, Unreal 4, etc) don't have these issues even at +150. Wonder if this is a game engine / DirectX 9 problem?

Anyway, ended up turning shadows off and can now manage 54-60fps on most tracks. Still not perfect but I wonder if my rig is underpowered apart from the GPU ?

Current rig:

HP Z400 workstation
    Xeon X5650 CPU @ 2,66 Ghz
    MSI 1050Ti Gaming X 4G
    16GB RAM
    All the latest and greatest drivers!

12. TheJackal

TheJackal Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Also considering how games like Assetto Corsa don't have these issues when the GPU is pushed a but more.....I really begin to wonder if its an issue with the RaceRoom engine or Dx9.

13. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    turn off afterburner and riva tuner and test again

Andi

14. TheJackal

TheJackal Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    Turning off Afterburner negates the possibility to push the GPU, I've come to the conclusion that not pushing the GPU as much (with Afterburner) is more stable.

Do you reckon the problem is pushing the GPU WITH RivaTuner enabled?

15. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    there have been previous issues with riva tuner , crashing r3e

this may have come back

RivaTuner and NVIDIA driver 431.60 update are reported as preventing RaceRoom from starting. If this is your case, the Riva Application Detection needs to be set to "None" for RaceRoom to operate normally again.

you could try this

Andi

16. TheJackal

TheJackal Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    NVidia drivers are 445.87 but uninstalled RivaTuner and tried the same batch of tests again with the same results.

I've attached a photo where you can see the spike in "GPU usage" just before the video freezes. I was watching a replay and then exited back into the R3E interface (drop in GPU usage) but then for some reason it spikes again.

I'm pretty sure this is the point where these "video freeze" issues happen. Again with +130 GPU clock increase, this spike doesn't happen.

I think only Sector3 can understand if this is realted to some sort of Dx9 processing or error handling.

Attached Files: