GPU Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Neil Bateman, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Neil Bateman

Neil Bateman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    I currently have 2 MSI GTX970 Twin Frozer GPU's in SLI and a MSI GAMING SLI bridge and am looking to change to a single card set up. Obviously I need to sell my 2 cards first but the GPU pricing market is so confusing at the moment and I am really not sure what I should or could be asking for both cards plus the bridge.
    The prices you see are so varied and I am also unsure whether to try and sell all 3 items separately or to try and sell all 3 items together.
    I want to get a reasonable amount to make it easier to buy a new card and first thought sell all separately as maybe there would be more people looking for a single card than there would be people looking for a 2 card SLI set up.
    Ideally selling and shipping all 3 together would be much easier but its more about what price I can get to minimise what I will need to make up the shortfall.
    Any advice would be very welcome.

2. ducman888

ducman888 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0
    I had an ASUS GTX 970 I sold on eBay for $105. Sold right away as a BUY NOW. Might have got a little more if I went to auction only, but I wanted to make sure I got at least the 105. Probably as single cards as anyone that may use them as SLI would probably do just as well as getting a 2070 or similar. Good Luck

3. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    If you want maximum return then selling individually is the way to go, then you have to add postage x2 as opposed to selling together unless you sell private locally.
    To give you an idea previous sales prices on ebay look like they average at around £90, search results for sold listings - https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=gtx+970&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc still a decent card but the value is falling fast going by ebay pricing £120-130 avg in Jan to what it is now!

CEX will give you 76 hassle free pounds per card, that might be easier and more convenient than ebay, no charges no postage. All down to you, what you are expecting to receive for them, try gumtree @125ish let someone knock you down a little, £70-130 on Gumtree big variation probably geographic.

4. Neil Bateman

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    Thanks guys, btw i was looking at RTX2060, would you go founders edition?

5. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Honestly, if i was thinking of that card i would probably go for a used 1080ti for a few pounds more, 20% more money 30-50% more performance from what i have seen.
    Its all down to finance, Im a vfm person, i`ll look for the right item at the right price there are 1080 tis on gumtree now for less than £400, £270, £330 and £410 to over £500, even used, thats where my money would go.
    all my not so humble opinion obviously :)

6. Neil Bateman

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    Good point, I have spent months looking at reviews and comparisons with 10 series, it all boils down to what you have to spend. Right now founders edition 2060 is £329, if I can get £200 for my 2 cards I can just squeeze enough out the piggy bank for a 2060, I tend to prefer buying brand new due to bad experiences in the past and you can never tell if a used card has been abused.

7. ducman888

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0
    Not sure how you plan on using it but I recently upgraded to a 1070ti and triple 144hz monitors and its fantastic.

8. Neil Bateman

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    I don't have triples, just a single 1440p 144hz Benq monitor, but hopeful for a triple xmas:)

9. ducman888

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0
    Curious, does the SLI not perform?

10. Neil Bateman

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    I bought the 2nd card but was dissapointed with the performance gain, I did not fully understand how it worked and the fact if a game did not support sli you had to use nvidia profile inspector and mess around with profiles which didn't always work, It may be just me who just doesn't like messing around with that stuff and dont know what i am doing, i just prefer to plug it in and leave it alone.

11. ducman888

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0
    I think for most of us, we can relate. The 'advances' in hardware aren't always communicated clearly to the consumer. I found out the hard way a few times myself. But I think you going to a single card will benefit you greatly, a bit of advice if you plan on going to triple screens at some point get a card with three DVI or Display Ports to support 144hz monitors. It may save you from upgrading again...or at least prolong it.

12. Blanes

Blanes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +188 / 0 / -0
    hey Neil, I was in the same boat few years back when I had 2 x 970's and due to the sli muck about all the time I swapped them out for a single 980ti which was fantastic in the early vr days. I sold the 980ti fairly easily on gumtree and bought a straight 1080 back in July 2016 and been happily using it ever since for VR. A 1080ti would be better so I agree re picking one of those up 2nd hand and just take what you can get for the 970's ... selling singly probs more successful. Good luck and let us know what you end up with. Personally I have no interest in the new ray tracing featured cards and would choose a 1080ti just for current gen vr racing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Neil Bateman

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    @ducman888 @Blanes Thanks for replies, I agree on all the points you made, yes a 1080ti would be a better buy and you never know there might be one out there at a price I can afford when the time comes, as i mentioned earlier though 2nd hand can be risky as I have found out in the past so for me new with a warranty is preferable. I will post what I end up with and if anyone is interested in a 970 just let me know.:)

• Like Like x 2
  14. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    So no shop has a 1080 ti on stock anymore, left us buying a 2080 instead.
    Hoping it is a good decision.
    The KFA² 2080 EX seems to be one for a good value.

15. Josephlio

Josephlio New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    1080Ti is out when I last checked.

16. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Glad I have one. Sad that it already is an outdated card. :(