News The March 2019 developer notes

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by J-F Chardon, Mar 15, 2019.

1. totalgamertb21

totalgamertb21 Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    It's honestly better that way, it comes more gradually and not just in one big patch.

That also means that Sector3 can prioritise stuff, then release it, then work on something else, etc.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    Right there with you.
    I absolutely hated the 934 at first.
    Couldn't turn, couldn't brake, and if you even glanced at it sideways it would happily proceed to murder you. :D

However, being an unapologetic Porsche fan-boy, I stuck with it, until suddenly the proverbial light-bulb went off.
    As long as one respects what it can and cannot do, it's fantastic fun. But it does require a drastic change in driving-style.
    Nor does it mean I'm any good at it. Right now I'll settle for keeping te bloody thing on track. :cool:

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. rad

rad Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +458 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, this was a case for me also. I couldn't drive it at all and than suddenly I could reasonably well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. RacingSym

RacingSym Active Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    all this is awesome. Now we get a online ranking, penalty system. It will take time. The Community need time to adapt. I think we all will benefit from it. We get more clean races. Online racing will grow on a New level. Thats the most reason for the great success of iRacing. Next flatspot and other dmg behaviors. Grp. C. I have to write it again, yes its that great. Group C<3. Whats next after that. Day night? Rain? Japan Super GT?^^ S3 you are great! All of u!

5. Rmbonk86

Rmbonk86 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    I was going to say the same thing. My difficulty is around 100, I’m not the fastest by any means. But I find it quite frustrating when the ai is faster than you and your on their racing line, they don’t move for anything and I get slammed from behind and they seem to plow past me like they are a tank.
    I’ve seen in some threads that if they difficulty is higher that they are better but then I can’t seem to keep up. I would train the adaptive ai but I really don’t have the time to commit to do it. It would be nice if the ai has more awareness. I expect contact in terms of a bump or a nudge, but not being run off track or directly slammed into. I don’t have any saved replays of these incidents, so next time it happens I will have to watch to see what is exactly happening.
    When I’m behind ai that are in the same class as me and we approach a group of slow cars, they behave like you would expect, they get around with out making contact unless that certain part of the track is more narrow.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  6. augustkekule

augustkekule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    The Porsche 934 is the best car in R3e. It´s just not that easy to drive fast than other cars, but when one has learned its driving characteristics it´s so much fun . This car absolutely doesn´t need any kind of changes altering its vicious character.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    I believe that 911 cup will be way better as it should have a perfect balance between hard and fun to drive, challenging and rewarding. This is my guess, wait and see what happens.

In addition, I personally draw the line between "very hard to drive" and "hard to drive". Very hard" is mostly exaggerated, frustrating and tiring, whilst "Hard" can be challenging, rewarding, fun to drive. For example, 934 and 911 GT3 CUP are one of the best cars with many details felt through the steering wheel but when it comes to handling/ driving I just wish if they were slightly more friendly.
    For instance, 911 GT3 CUP is the undisputed king of understeer, so exaggerated to a point that I started to hate this car. Some of you may disagree but that's fine. As for the 934, the best I could describe, this car is very nervous that even an AI struggles with it.:D

Just my two cents. Now feel free to bash me!:eek:

8. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    If you insist. :D

The 911 Cup car is like the 934. You simply can't drive it like you would a 'normal' car.
    I'll be the first to admit that it's a handful to wrestle down the track, but right now, the 911 Cup car is probably my favorite car in R3E.

Not particularly true. Depending on the car/track combo I use between 95 and 115, and there's no real difference. Or at least it's not big enough for me to notice.
    The biggest issue with the R3E AI is that it's very dependent on having the right level set, probably more so than other sims.
    And if you're getting rammed from behind, you probably have it set too high.
    As for training the Adaptive AI, it really doesn't take that long, particularly if you've already raced against fixed AI.
    Once you have 2-3 tracks set for any particular class, you can pretty much switch to Adaptive and it'll do its thing without further input from you.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Rodger Davies

Rodger Davies Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +594 / 0 / -0
    Nice post and look forward to more of these thanks.

Been enjoying Dirt Rally 2 recently but getting the developers to talk about their plans or what they're working on is blood from a stone stuff, so nice to be back in a place with this openness.

10. David_Wright

David_Wright Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Given Dirt Rally 2.0 was only released a few weeks ago, its pretty certain they are working on bug fixes, DLC and VR. Codies don't usually add new features after release. They will work on Dirt Rally 3.0

11. Rmbonk86

Rmbonk86 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    I’ll have to try again one of these weekend mornings when our kids are still in bed While searching the forum about the adaptive ai I found your thread on it from a while back. Last week I had deleted that folder with all the inputs with my lap times and such , so i’ll try again

12. theravenousbeast

theravenousbeast Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155 / 0 / -0
    No one's talking about rams from behind.

I'm talking about that annoying thing when AI to player contact, no matter how small, often results in the player car going into an unrecoverable spin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I concur that this is a problem. It doesn't happen all the time but when it does its effectively race over. Collision physics definitely need looking into. Light rubs especially at low speed should not cause a car to spear off the track.

14. Rmbonk86

Rmbonk86 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Its still a form of contact from the ai regardless if its from the back or the sides.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    The rams from behind are (usually) as a consequence of driving against the AI at the wrong level. They don't expect you to be at that speed at that point and so hit the back of you. I've found that when using adaptive AI this happens very seldomly as the AI generally drive at a similar pace to the player.

It's a different problem entirely to the collision physics problem, I don't mind an opponent touching or colliding with me sometimes, it happens in real life, what I do want is the effects of that collision to be realistic which currently they aren't.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Rmbonk86

Rmbonk86 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Right...I expect contract while racing, if there was none it would be boring to watch or play while in sim. :D

What you guys are experiencing, I also had the same issue but that was prior to using the crew chief app and before finally being able to have triple screens. When i was on single screen with crew chief i still did pretty well with avoiding side end collisions, but having the spotter helped a lot.

17. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I use crewchief. I don't have an issue with knowing where other cars are, I generally don't hit them. They just need to work on the collision physics for when contact does occur. It's as if to much momentum is transferred between cars making one or both cars lose control when in reality it would be a bit of a bump but no big deal.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Nano 10

Nano 10 Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    It is really very annoying the AI

The bots seem to have different physics compared to the player's car.

It is not explained how they move sometimes so fast and sometimes so slow, that is the main cause of the crashes.

A serious solution to stop testing with gamepads and incorporate a deep improvement with the AI, unfortunately is not in the plans according to the roadmap.

So many and many complaints, different players, it is clear that it has nothing to do with the driving style.

• Disagree Disagree x 9
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    This has nothing to do with AI strength or aggression which we all know you think is wrong. Usually because if your bad driving or running against AI that is to fast for you.

It's only the collision physics I'm concerned with. I race almost exclusively against adaptive AI and I have competitive, fair races.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +791 / 0 / -0
    i dont test with a gamepad ,
    today i tested 15 tracks with 1 car over 3 different AI%: 105.110 and 115%
    10 and 20 laps ;
    i got hit 5 times in the ass , and 3 side swipes , i hit them about 20 times :
    when i was hit in the ass it was 90% my fault , being gready , hitting my brakes to early or just being a clutz

sideswipes because i dive bombed basically ; id say 10% of the hits were possibly the Ai bugging , which is better than a public server

Andi

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1