Question Steering wheel of Lotus GT4

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Manfredk2, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    In VR the steering wheel of the Lotus looks like it has a diameter of 60 cm - its a huge wheel.

Head of the VR driver is positioned correct on the shoulders. All other cars i tried in VR so far seem to be ok. World scale is on default

2. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    We've been discussing this extensively back during testing and made the devs check and re-check several times cause we also had the impression it looked bigger than any other wheel.
    Yet everything about the Lotus' wheel is accurate to real life from the numbers side, all the measurements and dimensions are set correctly, so it remains a bit of a mystery why it looks so much bigger than other cars' wheels.

You say it looks huge in VR, did you compare to how it looks on a screen? Maybe you could take a screenshot of how it looks for you in VR.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2019
  3. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    I did screen shots from various perspectives to see if I could work out why it looks so big, but it was a waste of time. It looked ok on the screenshots but massive in the headset. It's puzzling

4. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Here are some shots from the mirrored monitor. As comparison also from the Cayman and the KTM. Every pic taken from the correct "head position"

20190316193740_1.jpg 20190316193943_1.jpg 20190316194228_1.jpg

5. Heath

Heath Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    adjust world scale in VR to suit your desired fit

6. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    not really a solution. If you do so, the body of the driver has the size of a 2 year old child, the car has a width of maybe 100cm and all other cars have the wrong world scale

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    I have the same problem with the gt3 Porsche, the cup car looks fine, the wheel in the GT3 looks massive.

8. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Hm, looks ok for me with my pimax

9. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Surely this is a seat position problem? Given that the size of hands doesn't change if you adjust the position so your hands look correct in each car then everything else should also be correct. I'm not sure how FOV works in VR buy surely that never changes?

10. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    No, i move the seat to that place the head should be, so that i can see the shoulders and the thorax of the virtual driver if i look down. There is less space for error...

Edit: Checked this again now, head is on the correct position. Another "issue" is, that you could only see the lower part of the display through the wheel, the shifting light are above the wheel. Maybe a scaling error of the driver or the wheel

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  11. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Same issue on the BMW M235i. In VR the wheel looks like it has a diameter of maybe 50 cm

12. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Could well be the same issue, but I have to say that on the M235 the steering wheel is massive irl:
    201311_P90140011-zoom-orig.jpg
    The more I look at these cars, the more I come to think that in these cases it might just be an unfortunate combination of

Large wheel diameter
    +
    Crammed cockpit space
    +
    Seat/body position being closer and/or lower than normal.

13. j.mcleod

j.mcleod Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    If you are playing in VR you won't see the steering wheel much? Because naturally you'll be looking ahead. The only time I see the steering wheel in my car on the road is when I'm looking down at the dashboard. It's why I also always find the bonnet cam is much more realistic than the cockpit view.

14. keanos

keanos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +137 / 0 / -0
    No its not, the cockpit view together with the real (calculated) FoV is the most realist camera view.