FFB Guide

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KW Studios, Jan 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loki-D

Loki-D Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    My point about beta testers, yes its important to have them, but as Billy said (which i agree) in the latest video with shawn is that theres too many fanboy testers who just happy they have free content or in on it first sort of thing. Telling the devs what they want to hear just to keep them happy, and to scared of telling them whats crap. I imagine this happens in all sims! I have 300 hours in rr and I reckon 50% of that is trying to dial in the ffb and that's with asking advice here, been on this merry-go-round enough times! People not going on a forum and telling them whats wrong is why we have a ton load of problems in sims that never get fixed - ill have my say and I don't care what you think. Read it or not. - rest read below!

Trust me I don't give a FF either!

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Neil Bateman

Neil Bateman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    You give enough of a FF to post and give us more of your thoughts and to also emphasise you don't in fact give a FF but if needed will come back with another post should anything you say be insulted by someone who doesn't give a FF.

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +365 / 0 / -0
    With RaceRoom, feedback is constantly being given back and everything is being critiqued strongly. There is a good reason why sometimes people feel new content is slow to come out - its because feedback is taken into account, improved on and repeated until its polished.

I'm not sure how other games do it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    if this was sector3s plan to have fan boy testers then they completely failed so i totally disagree with everything above as it is utter crap
    we have probably the largest bunch of grumpy testers who tell it straight and fight there own corner
    i dont tell the devs what they want to here , i will keep hasling in the forum, in discord and if there mad enough to give me the address there face book etc

R3e testers have a great position , where they can be truthful , sarcastic and colourful with the devs , there is a strong community spirit between the testers and the devs

but as a tester we have to realise not everything can get a magic wand workover , somethings take time to fix , or find a solution so you dont break something else

i really like this game yes , am i a fanboy , nope , im probably more critical of the game than the average hater ... just more constructive

Andi

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  5. Karting06

Karting06 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    Regarding Force Feedback, in my opinion, it will always be subjective. For me, it's very difficult to switch between simracing games. I cannot play 30min R3E and then 30 min AC. It just doesn't work for me. I need some time (and patience) to adapt. I had trouble setting up FFB in AC. I'm sure that if I was a bit more patient and had a bit more time that I could have tweaked it to my taste.

Regarding betatesters, I think that we nearly never completely agree with the devs. We have countless discussions about specific things where every tester has his opinion. Sometimes, it slows the release of features down but it is worth the wait in most of the cases. In fact, what Andi said is completely correct.
    In my opinion, it would be worthless to have testers that always say yes to the devs. What's the point of having people that agree with everything without challenging it? The game wouldn't evolve! We provide another point of view of the game to the developers which is useful for them (I hope). But that's only my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +562 / 0 / -0
    FFB is not only subjective, but also extremely prone to muscle memory, as long as the FFB corresponds to what is happening in the game you can learn to work with it and it will ‘feel good’ once you learn how to respond to it. Because many sims have different approaches to FFB it can be hard to move between them with the same natural feeling, which is why sims that are not your ‘main sim’ tend to feel worse whatever you do. If you put some proper time into them (and don’t use completely wrong settings) that will slowly even out. I quite liked the ACC and iracing feel so i set out to change my raceroom FFB to be closer to those and I think i was quite succesful, but there are always fundamental differences.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Thomas Jansen

Ratings:
    +562 / 0 / -0
    In that regard the huge adjustability of the raceroom FFB is both a blessing and a curse. Gives you lots of freedom, but also makes people constantly adjust settings to try to equal their favourite sim, never accepting the FFB being different and living with it. Which means they never put the time in to get their feeling adapted to raceroom’s ‘feel’

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rmbonk86

Rmbonk86 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Is it normal that it drops below the yellow line in straights

9. Thomas Jansen

Ratings:
    +562 / 0 / -0
    I believe the yellow line is the minimum force setting you have. This means that any force under that is boosted up to this amount, but I’m guessing if the net force is exactly 0 the game doesn’t know which way to boost it so it just keeps it at 0. Could be wrong but that would be my guess :p

10. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Without reading up on it i think anything below the yellow line is too small a force for your wheel to actually put out so youd end up not feeling anything in the wheel at that moment. But im far from an expert there and might just as well be wrong :D

11. David Peres

David Peres Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    The only area where I feel Raceroom is noticeably lacking, FFB-wise, is the road texture feel. No matter what I change, the tarmac always feels very smooth compared with AMS and RF2. Maybe the physical mesh in the tracks is less detailed in Raceroom? I don't know. In AMS I can feel the road surface in a much more direct way, which makes me feel more connected. I love it.

But even then, I love the FFB in Raceroom. It does take more trial and error to setup than I would like, but what I have now feels very very good, and the more recent cars in Raceroom are getting closer and closer to the amazing feel I have in AMS...

...except for the very vague ground effects. A more detailed road texture feel is all Raceroom is missing to complete the overall already great FFB package.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Rmbonk86

Rmbonk86 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    I get feedback while cornering and it is solid , just when I get on the straights it lightens up, which is fine but just didn’t know why I get little spikes that drop below it

13. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    My response only refers to those little spikes under the line. The rest of the time youd feel what youre supposed to feel (unless youre clipping).
    Just as an experiment maybe try increasing the minimum force and see if the spikes disappear

14. Rmbonk86

Rmbonk86 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Minimum force i have at 25.. i’ll raise it some more see what happens

15. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Oh that already sounds like plenty. Maybe try something else then :D

16. Rmbonk86

Rmbonk86 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    Currently using monza with the FR. Juniors

Turned smoothing to 20 and minimum down to 20.. little bit better. Notice most of the dropping on the back strait before the finish line

17. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +365 / 0 / -0
    I think that's because Raceroom doesn't add OTT road bump effects through the wheel compared to real life. With a motion rig or a haptic feedback seat, you get full road bump and surface feedback. Running the Red Bull Ring on a haptic feedback seat literally kills your ribs. :grin:

18. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    I think some people feel road feel (the grainy bumps going down a straight) and think "good ffb" and then feel no road feel and think "bad ffb" even though you may be getting everything from what the car is doing.

19. David Peres

David Peres Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    But I don't think "bad FFB" when thinking of Raceroom... far from it :)
    And I do get pretty much the information I need to drive the car and really enjoy how it feels... but there is a difference when comparing with RF2 or AMS with how you feel the road texture, and, in my subjective opinion, that diference favours RF2 and AMS, which to me feel more natural in that sense.

Like I said, if feels to me like Raceroom tracks might have a lower resolution/less detailed physical mesh, becouse while I do feel the bumps, the texture of the road itself feels kinda smooth... like a bumpy pool table, as opposed to bumpy tarmac.
    Apart from this detail, still great FFB, and getting better and better with some of the latest physics developments :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Andy Kettler

Andy Kettler Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,107 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.