Which has the best AI in your opinion?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bull Shark, Mar 30, 2019.

1. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Hi all,

Perhaps this is asked before and probably I did not search good but,
    Which of the race-sim games has the best AI in your opinion?

As I do not race online I would love to know this. I know it is all a matter of personal taste of course. I keep going back to Pcars not because of the great AI but for me it is the overall winner. Mostly because of the looks and feeling of this game.

I love RaceRoom for it’s FFB and sound but it does feel more lifeless and colors are dull (lack of contrast although I tweaked the Nvidia options)
    I do like rFactor but it looks like a game from 15 years ago. I also like ACC but the GFX and the interiors of the cars are not as nice as seen in Pcars for example.

So I would like to hear some thoughts from you..[​IMG]

2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +365 / 0 / -0
    iRacing.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. RoccoTTS

RoccoTTS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    R3E and Automobilista both have very good AI. Never tried RF2 and iRacing.
    PC2 has one of the worst AI IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bull Shark

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Yeah the AI of R3E is not bad indeed. I think I should delete the AI file and re-train them again.
    Automobilista I never seen before I believe. Lol. I feel ashamed.

5. Ablaze

Ablaze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    RaceRoom and Automobilsta have a pretty good AI. They defend their lines, close the door, try diffened lines to overtake you, try to avoid collisions most of the time, makes littles mistakes from time time (locked wheels, spins), they make counter attacks after they were overtaken, you can go 3 wide with them.

rFactor 2 has very advanced parameters to control the AI. A modder could assign a differend fast path for every AI car so each can have slightly diffened driving lines.

That's because the game is from 2005. :p

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  6. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    R3E, AMS and rF2. Which you prefer is either a bit of a toss-up or based on other factors in each sim.
    AC and ACC isn't bad, but it's far too nice, and there's very little AI vs AI fighting.
    pCars (either one) is just ridiculously bad.

7. RoccoTTS

Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    Automobilista is one of those games made by a small team with a lot of passion. It's something for the real sim lovers who only are interested in those things what really matters like physics, ffb and good ai.
    If you are only interested in nice and shiny graphics, this game is probably nothing for you.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Bull Shark

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I'm not only for the GFX.. I want to see some nice battles with the AI without beeing constantly bumped like we see in Pcars indeed. R3E has a nice AI but as said a bit dull in GFX. I prefer good AI and dito FFB above shiny GFX of course. If it only is for nice and shiny GFX I'm better off with Forza 7. :)

I see AMS is on sale atm. So I'll buy that one as well. I presume it supports triple screens setup as well?

9. RoccoTTS

Ratings:
    +534 / 0 / -0
    Here are some good videos about Automobilista, so you can see what it's about :

• Like Like x 2
  10. Bull Shark

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Thanks will view them...:D

11. bhendrik

bhendrik New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Rfactor 2 is miles ahead, followed bij RRE and AMS

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    RF2 ai is very good , RRE also. Both have imho issues with to often crashing ai cars.

Try RF2 USF2000 at Lime Rock, it is a crash orgy. Try RRE GT1 at Spa, also a crash orgy in Eau Rouge.

RF2 ai seems to be faster in some turns - for example Spitzkehre at Hockenheim or chicane at spa (and many others)

13. kendoslow

kendoslow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    I don't think that's so true nowadays as it used to be.

14. Bull Shark

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Indeed a matter of taste I see. The AI in R3E is not bad at all but indeed they love to build high piles of cars in tight corners and do brake a bit early. I do not have much experience with rF2 AI as I only played that game a few times.

15. kendoslow

kendoslow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    That's true.
    A couple of years ago I would have agreed that rF2's AI was well in the lead, but the work that S3 and Reiza have done since has whittled that away. As you say, tastes vary.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    In the interests of improvement I'm always glad to hear about particular behaviours of AI from you all. After all, there are many thousands of you and only one of me. I can only focus on improving small things, one at a time so for example somebody mentioned that certain AI brake a bit early. That's something I can look at and improve. So, which cars/classes are doing that?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Bull Shark

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Well as far as I experienced, the most classes show this behaviour.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Lets not forget that it always depends on the car/car class driven in an AI race. A sim which has good AI in touring cars, may perform not as convincing in open wheelers. In generla I seem to see a trend that the higher the acceleration, the harsher the breaking power, the more "brutal" a ride a car can provide, the more probs the AI has to control them.
    Raceroom is bestamongst all AIs I know, and I hope they do not add any drastic chnages to it anymore: to me, its a complete, closed project. 2, 3 years ago I tested rF2 repeatedly, I did not like it but recall that I found the AI very good back then. AC and ACC are solid, reliable, too, but too pacifistic and too perfect.
    It also depends on the general game model of a title. Taken for itself, the AI in Gran Turismo Sports is not impressive, and rubber band AI that it is, it cheats. But in context of the general package that GTS wants to be, it works well enough.
    I dont care whether or not an AI algorithm "cheats" or not, the reuslting car behaviour in track is what counts, and if that imprssion is convincing, then it works well to get a pleasant gaming experience. A simulation always is just illusion anyway. ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Bull Shark

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Indeed. The most of the time I have a good time when racing against AI. Whether it is R3E, Pcars or whatever. There are times I really don’t like the AI and that is when you have a good pace but at the end of the race, the AI suddenly doesn’t see you anymore and rams you without any regrets off track. It happens more than often in the last round.
    Could be me not driving well anymore after a race with xx laps. :D

20. nobledms

nobledms Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Assetto Corsa AI could be a lot better but they have messed up the race/qualifying pace ratio. They run a lot slower during race sessions. Raceroom has the most consistent AI out there in that sense.

• Like Like x 2