In-Gameplay Web Overlays

Discussion in 'Community Workshop' started by J-F Chardon, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Eric Statkevicus

Eric Statkevicus New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the info. I set up a quick Nginx web server on my local machine an put my modded webhud there. All I'm using from webhud is the radar component (I doubled the size of the circle and made it transparent) and the rest native HUD. I agree 100% with RWB, this is nice, and I assume it's mostly for multiplayer broadcasting functionality, but it would be great to have some of the flexibility (and radar component) of webhud in the native HUD. Still love the update and really looking forward to the new damage model!

2. Virtual Apex

Virtual Apex Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    UPDATE:
    The issue seems to be on specific tracks, @ Road America the game works fine in different cars
    upload_2019-4-6_22-37-59.png
    @ Sepang the game pauses
    upload_2019-4-6_22-45-44.png

Monitor is a Samsung Ultra Wide 3840 x 1080
    Custom Loop WC PC:
    Windows 10 Pro
    Intel 17 8600k - OC 5.0
    Aorus 1080ti GPU - OC 2035
    Team Force Night Hawks 32mb @3600hz
    Crucial 1TB M.2
    Wheel Base:
    Fanatec CSL PS4, McLaren Rim, V3i Pedals

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  3. yoori

yoori Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    You guys are complaining about the web hud but it's not a replacement for the in-game hud. It a sample app using web overlay and new shared memory . The possibilities for web overlay are endless. We can create our own in-game chat app, a league app with server password distribution and custom race control, an in-game admin tool for dedi server, etc.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +365 / 0 / -0
    Soon. o_O

upload_2019-4-7_10-52-40.png

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  5. NL-Jos

NL-Jos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +182 / 0 / -0
    And yet I wonder why this is not in raceroom itself?
    And not the layout in particular, because 100 people can have 100 different tastes.
    But more so that you can move and resize items on the screen ingame.

6. [RWB] FxUK

[RWB] FxUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Not sure which guys you mean, but feedback and observations are not always complaints.
    As for making our own in game chat, that will only work if everybody else has it.. which is not going to be the case, unless it has no performance hit at all (on some systems) and is easy to share/install/get up and running. So I would say that one area, at least, could really really do with some TLC natively. Besides, you can't turn off the ingame one.

Everything else, yeah, huge potential. But not that flexible. Let me explain. So, I make Widget 1, you make Widget 2. Both are awesome and everybody wants to use them both. The only way for this to happen is if we combine our code / distribution files and host it, or everybody runs an localhost copy and still has to merge our widgets into the code.

Now, other apps like the one posted on here, R3E Web Dashboard Released or Simhub offer more flexibility in terms of being more modular and allowing sharing of specific modules. The great thing is, they can be used as they are, or now even as a webhud url, although simhub needs a small change to remove a black background, that I have already requested, after which dashboards can be created using many different widgets that can easily be shared and added very easily.

And that is why I would like to see some TLC to the native elements. Like chat.

7. yoori

yoori Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    What I want to say is that we've been given a sandbox to play with . I see the web hud as nothing else but tech demo and I don't expect it to be perfect or updated.
    Regarding modular out it is also up to us .I would expect someone at some point will create a container with a library where others can upload widgets they create for everyone to choose which ones they want to use. If you don't use shared memory you don't need any apps you just need to point rrre to the url it needs to display everything the load is serverside.

The in-game hud should be worked on by s3. The web overlay is for us to play with.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    yoori, keep in mind that performance issues most likely come from the web browser and its rendering within r3e. Completely independent of the webserver's load. That "display" cost and client sides logic, has to happen now within r3e and wasn't there before.

9. [RWB] FxUK

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    A workaround to make a simhub dash display "in game" and not as a seperate window, so also works for VR.

EDIT ** SEE POST BELOW FOR LINK TO BETA VERSION OF SIMHUB ***

** These are required, to use the webhud url below:
    1. Name your dash: RaceRoom
    2. Make sure it has a transparent background
    3. Size your dash / widgets appropriately
    4. Use the following parameter in steam launch option (I have made a simply redirect to load your local simhub file)

-webHudUrl=https://fxuk.github.io/webhud/simhub/

This was a quick and dirty test, nothing special, but working a treat.
    Sidenote, Simhub dev is looking into a proper way to make it work too, not reliant on a served file, but using localhost created by simhub itself. :)
    SimhubDash.png
    ignore squished graphics, running single screen with triple screen parameters :p

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  10. [RWB] FxUK

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Thank's to @Wotever for providing the following Beta version of simhub, there is now no reliance on a hosted page.

This is an unoffical beta but except the modification to make it work with the webhud, it's the same as the one promoted for the shakeit beta:

http://www.simhubdash.com/unofficial/HubPackage.6.08.0b7.zip

Simply install, make a dashboard (with a transparent background) and position elements appropriately
    Then use the following launch option for raceroom, via steam:
    -webHudUrl=http://localhost:8888/Overlay/NameOfYourDashboard

i.e
    -webHudUrl=http://localhost:8888/Overlay/RaceRoom

The required URL can be copied from simhub by clicking "More" next to the dashboard, then choosing copy OBS browser address to clipboard ;)

I made a new thread for this post, since I know this will get buried in the discussion soon enough :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  11. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    This simhub based integration is great. It allows plebs like me design an overlay that would never be possible otherwise. I don't actually use any onscreen stuff as it's all handled by dashboards and timing monitors but having the option is great. I can definitely see me using a delta bar for practice/qualy sessions for example.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    SimHub overlay without the need to run the game in windowed mode is awesome news (though I really like the default webhud as well).

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. ROBERTO GIL

ROBERTO GIL New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    It does not work for me.... is always loading

14. RWB Charger

RWB Charger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Got SimHub up and running last night with Fx's help and it's really really good, I like what Sector 3 did with the new overlay but this is a better solution imo.

15. ROBERTO GIL

ROBERTO GIL New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Q1. Did you install the beta version, linked above? YES
    Q2. Did you use the URL via "More" > "Copy OBS url..." as the launch option in steam? YES

I will try again later....

16. RWB Charger

RWB Charger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
  17. [RWB] FxUK

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    Ahh sorry, I deleted my post because I realised I was in this thread and not the other :p So I thought you where on about the sector3 webhud and I was just being too keen :p But yeah, try the post Charger linked above.

18. easy_kill_72

easy_kill_72 Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Hi,
    I have an error with dash, it's like if everything in the HUD was paused since the last time I played.
    And the error line in the command is : *date**hour* |ERROR|WebSocket.Send|This operation isn't avaliable in: Closed

Thanks in advance for your help

19. [RWB] FxUK

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    I think Shift + Space, or Ctrl + Space pauses the sector 3 ui, generally you will get a message stating UI restored on loading it, if this is the case. Sorry can't quite recall the keys since I am using a simhub implementation now.

Edit: Yeah, its Shift+Space to freeze/unfreeze the current game state

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. ROBERTO GIL

ROBERTO GIL New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Now ir works. Great.

• Like Like x 1