Are there ever going to be custom liveries in RaceRoom?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KARS10VE, Apr 9, 2019.

1. KARS10VE

KARS10VE New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hello everyone. I'm Karsten van Eyck. I'm a manager and livery designer for the TCS Off Racing team that has it's main roots in rFactor2. We are racing more and more in Raceroom but there is one big problem that makes it a lot more difficult to really dive into this sim and that is liveries.

As a team we want to express and share as much as we can and off course the main part in that is liveries. Now I've searched a lot for answers but couldn't find any recent answers. Is it going to be possible to make liveries in the future or not? Thx in advance!

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    I would guess no, since some of RR's money comes from selling their own liveries through the store. I'm guessing the logistics of getting people's custom liveries shared amongst all those racing with them (since the game doesn't support regular modding) would be a pretty large barrier too. And maybe even licensing, since many of the series featured in the sim are official.

But that's just my thoughts, not the official line.

3. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +365 / 0 / -0
    Unlikely.

4. milewski.lukasz

milewski.lukasz Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    It could work i think. As long as it would be limited to players just being able to have their own livery and not allowed to share them, just be able to see other players liveries on track.
    Dont think sector 3 would allow a competition in their store especially if it was a free alternative.

5. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Next! :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    1 Yes.
    2 No.
    3 Maybe.

It's definitley one of those options....

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    But you have to share/download them in some form for other drivers to beable to see them..and there are more important stuff to have, if we had crap liveries like iRacing default ones then fair enough, but we have decent liveries.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. milewski.lukasz

milewski.lukasz Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Yes i agree 100% The liveries are top quality and I'd rather have the effort spent elswhere. Especially that raceapp lets you choose livery when you sign up for a race.

9. David Peres

David Peres Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    Considering the business model of Raceroom I can only imagine custom liveries under two conditions:

1 - They would have to be limited to non-official cars (the silhouette series, for example)
    2 - The liveries would have to be made in some form of official livery-maker app, using only the tools and decals on offer

Those are basically the same two conditions that will allow the next Codemasters F1 game to have custom liveries, I think.
    Anyway, I can't imagine Sector 3 sees this as a priority.

10. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. Bindaree Racing

Bindaree Racing Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    This would be the way to go. Very unlikely to get ugly skins by going down this root. And maybe only allow one "team" skin as it were to cover all the car models and makes. You design your skin, you race with that skin throughout all the cars you race. (Maybe even allow an AI teammate that runs the same skin even.)

Until @Sector3 come out and answer the custom skin possibility once and for all, this question will keep being raised. (If they have, please point me in that direction.)

12. NL-Jos

NL-Jos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +182 / 0 / -0
    And what if someone have a livery and give sector3 money so that they can make it into the game.
    Type of business agreement
    This would then earn sector3 money

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. kendoslow

kendoslow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    Hope not, what makes RaceRoom unique in sims nowadays (besides the content) is the plug and play concept.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Well, it wouldn't earn S3 money but RR, but leaving that aside, this already happened (just look at the Sidney Industries RUF livery) so I don't see why it shouldn't be possible.

Just send 5 gold nuggets and a sketch of your livery design. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  15. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    [​IMG]
    here's my livery design for greenwood, where do i send those gold nuggets? :cool:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I'll pm you my address RaceRooms secret gold nugget depot location.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Well, i see a lot of sarcasm in this thread, because the question was asked many times before. But the elephant is in the room .... again. And i can't remember a recent official statement from @Sector3 about it.

Personally the lack of custom livery support in R3E bothers me. It's one missing part of a puzzle. Business model or not.
    The "i don't want to see ugly liveries" is quite a selfish argument, but i accept this standpoint. However, at least i'd like to have a choice to use a custom skin, if i want to. For me it's a big part of the immersion and much more satifying to race with a self-created livery.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Dont quite get that one. Do you think the ferrari is red because vettel wanted it that way or because some people way up higher dictate this is how the cars gonna look and thats that? Most immersive would be you get a random livery out of those available and have to deal with it :D

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
  19. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Is that original or honey nut?

20. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Perhaps "immersion" is the wrong word in this context, but for me it's a more enjoyable experience driving my own livery. See it as a "deeper connection".;)
    The comparison with Ferrari or real world teams doesn't matter, because in SimRacing i can have my own team and my own livery.:p

• Agree Agree x 1