Why am i so bad changing gears?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by neil, Apr 11, 2019.

1. neil

neil Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I can use a manual fine in other sims AC RF2 & irl but i keep missing gears in R3E. Do i have my clutch setup wrong or i'm doing something wrong? I notice it most in the 964 934 but in some other cars as well, i guess i'm driving these cars more than other though.
    Appreciate any help.

2. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Maybe you could play around with the clutch sensitivity and see how you go.

3. Barbie

Barbie Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    If it happens mostly on downshifts, it's because you're doing it too early. Or maybe you're just shifting too fast. It's less forgiving in R3E than in other sims since the clutch update.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Trying to change gear too quickly, and/or not pressing the clutch enough or for long enough are the usual culprits when upshifting. Same applies when downshifting, but you must take extra care to ensure you're not trying to change down too early and that you're matching the revs between gears.
    In addition, both the 934 and 964 (as well as the 962) use a syncromesh gearbox, which is basically a road car gearbox. That means they're typically slower to change gear and so require a slightly different technique.

Some tips here if you haven't seen:

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  5. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Sorry if this is OT, but seems related. Why can't I seem to shift gears unless I press the brakes first (weird)? My setup just has me shift using the T300 paddles and only gas/brake on my G27 pedals (don't use clutch). Seemed to be the same with the Nissan. Tried them both first from the store.

6. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +562 / 0 / -0
    Are you using autoclutch?

7. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I think I do, since I don't use clutch. GT3 cars seem fine. Anything peculiar with these newly released cars, and how do I manage to try them w/ my setup?

8. Thomas Jansen

Ratings:
    +562 / 0 / -0
    With autoclutch it should work completely fine with paddleshifters. Shouldn’t require a lift to shift up. Maybe check if you have automatic gears on? That could interfere with your own gearchanges, though I would assume you would have noticed hehe

9. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    You're trying to downshift without slowing down (or rev matching), that's why it won't go in. Try that in a real car and see how long the gearbox lasts....

• Like Like x 1
  10. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    You should make sure it says "Manual + autoclutch" in the steering settings.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +455 / 0 / -0
    It's not weird, the gearbox/engine is not supposed to be used as brakes.

12. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Im pretty sure it was in Manual and Autoclutch, but will check again the suggestions tomorrow.

I know that. Upshifting was also an issue, as it also wouldn’t shift to 2nd gear from 1st, again unless I pressed the brakes. In the Nissan, the car also would turn off, like the clutch is released in manual, even if zim pretty sure I have autoclutch. But again, I’ll check it out again tom. Just wanted to know what was going on, and what peculiarities there were.

13. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +455 / 0 / -0
    That is weird. It sounds as if you have assigned the brakepedal as a clutch, but i guess that's not the case :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. neil

neil Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for all the tips on here.
    Its changing up i had problems
    My clutch sensitivity is at 50% I'm not sure what that setting is for.
    My clutch low deadzone for some reason was set quite high so setting this back to 0 has helped I guess maybe it's good advise not to touch the dead zones?
    Now i just seem to get punished by the odd sloppy gear change but its much more rare.

15. Barbie

Barbie Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    No problem ;), I never had to change my clutch sensitivity. Default settings are working fine in general.

16. j.mcleod

j.mcleod Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Of course it is! Engine braking is a big part of slowing down a car, particularly older cars with less effective brake pads and cylinders.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +455 / 0 / -0
    Never heard of blipping the throttle or heel n toe? Do you know why this technics are used?

18. Thomas Jansen

Ratings:
    +562 / 0 / -0
    To make sure you don't get too much engine braking and break something or lock the wheels, still plenty of engine braking with normal driving though :D

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Tuborg

Tuborg Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +455 / 0 / -0
    I don't know if I would call a correct blip of throttle (rev matching) "a big part of slowing down a car".