General Setup Discussion

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base' started by Thomas Jansen, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    Here you can discuss anything about setups in general, once the forum structure is up and running there will be a separate thread for every car class to keep it a bit more focused:p

• Like Like x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Bravo! Someone has some spare time on their hands because that sir, is one mighty task! ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. ducman888

ducman888 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0
    Ok, where to start?
    I run the car until which time my lap times max out and then begin to drop off because I am 'over driving' trying to get the last bit out of the car, and me.
    Now what do I look at first, ride height, springs, gear ratios...it is all a bit intimidating and are the adjustments made concurrently, or in succession?
    I see folks posting setups all the time, and I am grateful for them sharing and I have even tried some of them, but think of a setup as being somewhat unique and wonder If I am adapting my driving skills to accommodate their setup.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Thomas Jansen

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    This is the big hurdle when it comes to setups, it's one thing knowing what certain settings do, it's another challenge knowing what to touch :D. Unfortunately, there is just no good answer for this, it always depends on specific situation. Just as with driving itself, it takes hours and hours of practice to build up experience which helps in connecting what you feel in the car to what you could do with the setup.

My best advice to start learning setups is to first know what a particular option does or should do to the car. Read guides, watch videos, do research :p Then try playing with that setting on the car and see if you can feel that effect or not. There is not much point to changing settings around if you don't have an idea of what it should be changing, you will never learn much from that.

While it is true that everyone has their own style and preferences in setups, it can be a good idea to start from a setup you know is good, rather than default. As the car will be in the right operating range in most aspects, settings you change will behave closer to what they should do in theory. On default setups, although the new ones are mostly quite good, you can't be sure, an example being the rear tire pressures on the 934 I encountered.

So in the beginning maybe don't even aim for results, but aim for experience. Accept that it will take time and effort to learn, I've been in that overwhelmed phase too when starting out, not even that long ago, was probably a year and a half back when I started looking into setups. Learnt a lot from @Sebastien Brunier and @Alex Hodgkinson and a lot of driving and trial and error! :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I still live by this chart when it comes to setups, covers all the bases in a logical order. Now we have ride height telemetry and tyre pressure adjustment it's even better....

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  6. ducman888

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0
    Thank you @ravey1981 that looks like a very good tool to begin with.

7. Thomas Jansen

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    Yup stuff like this can really help to learn, just make sure to not follow it blindly and try to understand what you're changing when using it :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Thomas Jansen

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. ducman888

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for taking the time and effort in not only making and sharing your setup, but also explaining the whys behind it. I have used the 962 at Road America and took 2 full seconds off my best (about three hours total driving time) in only forty minutes total including experimenting with fifth gear and trying to get a little less understeer exiting turn three, the Kink and Canada Corner.
    Look forward to future setups as you did the heavy lifting and I just had to make a click or two to fit my driving.

In addition to Thomas' fantastic setup I made two minor changes
    I was hitting the rev limiter at the end of front straight and going into Canada Corner so I made a single click on fifth gear.
    I was also getting understeer at turn exit on 3, The Kink, Canada Corner and 14 so I changed bump from 11 to 12 on the front.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Thomas Jansen

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    If you're hitting the rev limiter with my setup something went wrong, I'm not even close to the rev limiter in 5th anywhere. Did you copy my setup file or just copied the settings manually?

12. ducman888

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0
    I used your set up manually entered from screen shot provided. I was not able to enter tire pressures (i think they are locked at 174) as I was in the Competition but all others were as you had originally.

13. Thomas Jansen

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    Yeah tire pressures and temperatures are locked on the leaderboards, which is why you should never work on a setup there btw :p I only set some laps on there once I have finished my setup, to verify it's quick :D You must have missed something in the gear ratios though, otherwise something doesn't add up..

14. ducman888

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0
    Next time I will do set up changes in Practice, and I will double check I didn't get click happy. Either way great set up, I would have never in a million tries got to that without your help.

15. Thomas Jansen

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    Glad you liked it! quite often what happens when you make a setup on the LB is that they will only work because the rear tires don't overheat. In a normal session the rear tires will heat up and start sliding more, only compounding the effect. Ofcourse if your only goal is to set leaderboard laps then that doesn't matter, but that's definitely not what I make my setups for :D

16. Thomas Jansen

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    And to add to that, that is also most likely why you felt some understeer, as the rear grip is often higher on the leaderboards due to the perfect temperatures.

17. SargeFIN

SargeFIN New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for this guide. I will definitely use this with Porsche 911 Gt3 Cup car.

I tried it today in Imola and A1 ring and oh boy does this car bounce a lot. For example in Imola when you approach those first chicanes from the main straight the and when you hit the brake zone car bounces up and down so hard its incredible and its easy to lose control. Same thing in A1 ring in that fast chicane at the end of the track. Compared to this with BMW GT car with same FFB settings and its smooth as butter compared to Porsche through those places. Both were driven with default setup.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Thomas Jansen

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    Yeah it's just how the Porsche GT3 cup is. This is the problem with the GT3 name of the car, it is really quite different from real GT2/GT3 cars

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. ozcanuck55

ozcanuck55 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for KTM guide ( and all the guides....very helpful!). I mainly run this car in a Bathurst 12 hour grid, so it's perfect. I'll give yours a go ASAP.

20. ducman888

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -0
    I should have kept my foot planted a bit longer as I still had a few revs left in the bank, your ratios are fine.
    And while on the setups would you think this setup would be useful at Spa?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019