What does oversteering feel like ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jo Ré Ta Po, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Jo Ré Ta Po

Jo Ré Ta Po Active Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Hello !

I have a recurring problem : I can never tell when my car is about to spin (lose grip ?) when re-applying throttle after a corner. I can only spot it "visually", but I'm afraid it sometimes makes me over-cautious, losing time in the process.

So I'm asking : using a G27 (fairly well set up, inspired by Georg's settings), should I feel something in particular in the wheel that indicates I'm about to spin ? I can feel tyres locking (wheel gets suddenly light) but I'm really struggling and basically always guessing if I'm about to lose control of the car or not after a corner ...

2. Georg Ortner

Georg Ortner KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +3,508 / 0 / -0
    When oversteering the wheel will pull in the opposite direction.

3. Jo Ré Ta Po

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    ... is it that obvious ? Man I'm really awful :D

4. Georg Ortner

Georg Ortner KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +3,508 / 0 / -0
    If your wheel is setup correctly, it´s quite obvious.
    If you want to strengthen that effect, increase the Steering Force Intensity.

5. Brandon Wright

Brandon Wright Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312 / 0 / -0
    No, not really. The weak part in the FFB in this sim is communicating when you're about to lose grip/experience oversteer. By the time you realize it's happening it's generally too late to do much about it. I've tried any number of combinations of wheel/ffb settings and nothing makes much difference. This is what keeps me from playing R3E more than I do.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    I pick up on it quite easily.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. James Nance

James Nance Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +301 / 0 / -0
    I got by feeling but also by sight, use them senses people!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. GroovyMotion

GroovyMotion Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    Yeah on the xbox controller there is no feedback of when the car is about to let you know that it likes that wall or gravel pit :(

9. Krzysztof Volek

Krzysztof Volek Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Than do yourself a favor and buy a wheel. You can't even imagine what you are missing by playing this game with gamepad.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. GroovyMotion

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    I know but I can't afford a wheel at the moment. I like the rush with the controller, but I sure would like to be able to have smooth laps with a wheel.
    I will check for sales, the G27 was on sale last week but I have also another SSD to buy! :(

11. Edelstahl

Edelstahl Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

The G27 (or maybe a G25) should definite be more important than another SSD ^^

If you need more free Disk-Space buy a HDD ...it´s bigger and cheaper

12. GroovyMotion

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    Nah I actually moved away from mechanical drives for my games. I don't know if R3E benefits from SSD at all since it's loading everything online?!
    Usually SSD's are great for games that have a lot of textures to load and have huge spaces to explore. Maybe it's not the case in R3E.

Edit: The G27 is on sale at newegg @197$...pretty tempting but Would need to buy a table to setup the steering.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  13. Bartosz Janus

Bartosz Janus Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

First go on to the Get Real mode then get some RWD car (standard RRE cars like Anquila or Siluette series are fine) lower down your back wings and on the lowerst gears try to push the pedal to the metal...it's that easy to feel it :)

Best place to control it is while corner exiting :) Try it old sport and have fun :)

14. MsportDan

MsportDan Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Personally mate.. I would (if moneys an object) get the DFGT cheap somewhere. Imo iv had both and apart from the more luxurious material and clutch of the G27, the DFGT is a good as wheel. The clutch imo doesn't work well with most of these games and don't have the same effect a real car has, nice gimmick though.

Secondly you should head over to http://store.steampowered.com/app/273840/ and buy GSC/demo, as even though it hasn't the GFX and licenses RRE holds, it has possibly the best FFB/physics you can get out of a sim. To me GSC ffb makes you feel like you have an expensive wheel and its utilizing all its quality. RRe ffb feels broken and numb in parts especially tyre feel. I have 300£ wheel and even that didn't improve RRe ffb over my previous DFGT. I like many others have tried many settings but the FFB just wont play nicely. Don't get me wrong RRe is an outstanding game/sim but realism err sorry "close but no cigar."

Of course its down to personal preference and all these devs are striving for what they think is realism, but I think S3 are off the mark here compared to other sims.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Krzysztof Volek

Krzysztof Volek Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    I haven't played GSC so I can't compare its FFB to R3E, but I own DFGT and can assure you that MsportDan is right about it, it's decent wheel, cheaper than G27 and has much more buttons available on it, which really comes in handy as you can control pretty much all most important things in the race without taking your hands off the wheel. So if you are low on cash I suggest buying it instead of more expensive G27. For me it works very well in R3E once you set it up properly.

• Like Like x 1
  16. GroovyMotion

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    Thanks @MsportDan @Krzysztof Wolek I will have a look at the DFGT...I will just wait for a sale and grab it. I also need some type of table to hold it since I play on my TV and sitting on a couch! :oops:

17. cjbifidus

cjbifidus Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Take a look at the Wheel Stand Pro ;-)

18. GroovyMotion

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    That's really nice but 169$ plus the wheel (169-209) that's a lot. I will need a salary raise and even though I work on the web I don't think I can justify those expenses for work! :oops::)

19. Sean Kenney

Sean Kenney Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    Build something.

I played on a TV table.

Friend let me borrow wspro. Its good but a damn pole in the middle.

20. Jo Ré Ta Po

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the tips & tricks gentlemen. I clearly feel the force when I'm spinning on purpose, but in race situations I have trouble distinguishing oversteer from normal wheel resistance ... I have come to the highly elaborate conclusion that I suck badly :D

On the same topic, what's a "good" reaction to big oversteer ? Do you suddenly lift your foot from the pedal ? Counter-steer smoothly ? Aggressively ? Trigger the ejection seat ? I can deal with slight oversteer after a corner, but when it gets worse I'm basically lost. Maybe at times it's too late and there's nothing to do ?

Maybe there are also car setting that help ? So far I've only messed with the rear anti roll bar.