Question New Player , Poor acceleration

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Jas, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Jas

Jas New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Hi , I am a completely new player trying out RaceRoom , I have a very basic wheel pedal set with paddle shifters that works ok ( I plan to get maybe a nicer thrustmaster ffb set later) I have noticed that when I get into a turn & downshift ,..weather automatic or manual It seems like it takes forever for the car to come back up to speed , the acceleration is very slow , Ive tried a few different cars & it happens with all ,...I am most interested in the wtcc cars , I am completely new to this & so my problems so far is when I get down to 2 or 1 gear the acceleration seems very very slow & of course when I do get a good run Im still struggling with keeping the darn thing on the track with all the push in the steering , I imagine thats a matter of learning the braking points & entry speeds though ,..but the low acceleration is killing me , Im sure im doing something wrong ,I just cant figure out what ? :)

2. .OG Isaac

.OG Isaac Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    Is your pedal getting 100% input? (You can check this in the control menu's, at the right top there'll be some bars that will fill when you press pedals and rotate wheel)

Maybe it's one of the assists that's on, like braking/steering assist.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  3. Jas

Jas New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I think I did increase it to 85 to test the other night , It was at 50 by default , but It did not seem to change anything , Ill take a look at that again , I was thinking it was something with the autoshift , like maybe if you give too much throttle or something , but it does it when I manually shift as well , other than the bit of a learning curve , seems like it will be fun game

4. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    The 50% default setting will likely be the sensitivity. This has nothing to do with whether you can hit 100% throttle with the pedal, it simply changes the input curve. 50% is linear, meaning the input will increase in a straight line from the bottom of the pedal to the top. Lowing the sensitivity will make the input increase more slowly at the bottom of the pedal and more quickly at the top, and raising it will do the opposite. For pedals, 50% is probably the optimal setting.

On the advanced setting screen within R3E, look at the axis displays at the top of the screen when you a pressing your pedal down, and ensure it is reaching the very far right of the input bar. That will tell you if you are able to get 100% throttle or not. If you can't, check the upper deadzone settings.

As for the issue you're having, do you have Traction Control turned on in the driving aids? WTCC's are powerful front wheel drive cars, meaning it's very easy to spin the wheels under acceleration, especially if you are cornering at the same time. With TC on (the driving aid version) it will eliminate this wheel spin entirely, so trying to accelerate out of a corner, especially a tight one, may feel like the car is bogging down and slow. Try setting the game to Get Real mode and try that.

5. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Is brake assist set to on?

6. Jas

Jas New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the replys ! you guys have given me more things to try :) So I will also try Traction control on & turn off brake assist as it is on I believe

7. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Traction control off is what you should try out :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. .OG Isaac

.OG Isaac Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    True but traction control shouldn't feel like it's bogging down the car, any car. You can still go reaaaally quick with it, accellerating out of corners.

9. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    In front wheel driver cars it can indeed feel like the car is bogging down, especially on corner exit. The grip the tyres have is limited, so if you're using the majority of it to change direction on the exit of a corner, then attempting to accelerate too much too soon will cause wheel spin and engage the TC. Unlike the adjustable TC some cars have, the "driving aid" TC seems to prevent all spin, so will kill the throttle almost entirely if you start to lose traction.

(Never use assists myself, but had them on accidentally just the other day when I was testing something quickly using my XBox pad instead of wheel/pedals. Literally noticed the same issue the OP has mentioned until I turned it off.)

10. Heath

Heath Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    @Jas Hi , can you try something more me? When the car is bogging down go back to the garage and where it says reset to default , hit that button then go back on the track and retest . Let me know if any change. Thanks :D

11. Jas

Jas New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    ok Thank you for all the suggestions , I have turned off all assists including traction control & that seems to have fixed it :) , now I just have to lean to drive ,It's a bit embarrassing that I have not driven a manual car before , I felt pretty triumphant beating the ai for the first time lol

• Like Like x 4