Problem Ridiculous framerate at "Shanghai"

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by NoXiD, Jun 9, 2015.

1. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    :)Had to google that :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. ThereIs0nly0ne

ThereIs0nly0ne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    I think there's likely a fourth. Given this issue seems to be track specific, it wouldn't appear to be user error (which would affect the game as a whole), a hardware conflict (which again would affect the game as a whole) or a general lack of optimization (it would affect everyone). My guess is it's possibly a hardware architecture/driver issue. Having said that, I've no idea what makes this track (and Moscow) any different from the others. Only the devs can know that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Seb S15

Seb S15 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    Hi guys,
    I also encountered such problems in Shanghai on Moscow about 30/45 FPS,
    I am unable to ride in these conditions :(

I tried all the solutions and nothing to do !!!
    but when I switch on one single screen, the problem disappears, I think I have to change a video card in the near future or wait for Windows 10 ...

4. NoXiD

NoXiD Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Is there any option to disable record replays? Maybe that is the problem?!?!? I spend now more than 3 hours of testing different settings. The problems are still there :(

5. Clover

Clover Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Well, that was fun while it lasted. If this is the new standard of tracks in R3E then i am screwed for now, i cannot afford new GPUs at this point. i'm running two old EVGA GeForce 450 in SLI and i have been able to keep it at 60fps so far with all the other tracks before Shanghai. Even Sonoma and Moscow, i had no problems with as some people here has said they had.

I started up Shanghai with my normal settings and 20fps :( After some tweaks i have got it up to 60fps even with 23 opponents, AS LONG AS i don't see the complex above the pits, then my computer just goes hurrrf and down to 18-20fps. if i run solo my GPU can crank out 60+ fps, 47isch with the complex in view.

Sector3, guy's really. Why are you not fixing the SLI, Crossfire? i could tweak it before to run SLI, but now since last patch nope, not working. I know my GPUs are old but i have been running R3E just fine up to now, and i can run iRacing, Assetto Corsa and even Project Cars at atleast medium graphics with out problems, I was surprised as hell when i could wizz around at Circuit de la Sarthe in the Prototypes in the rain at 60+ fps with good graphics on i Project CARS.

But i need my R3E, nothing measures up to it. :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mike Demers

Mike Demers Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +59 / 0 / -0
    I did a bunch of testing on the weekend. Many combinations and recorded the fps. turns out I can maintain a locked value of 60fps just by changing car reflections from high to medium. no other settings made any appreciable difference. I was getting slowdowns near 42fps in the first few corner section of the track. FYI YMMV.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Interestingly Macao is giving me no such issue - smooth as butter at medium-high settings 5760x1080. Shanghai still poor at absolute lowest settings using 5760x1080

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. NoXiD

NoXiD Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    So. Macau run so smooth. Excelent!!! I can play nearly all settings to maximum. Reflections low and no FXAA 8*MSAA Shadow High, all others also on high and i reach lowest 95 fps and highest 140 fps. I set up my PC complet new today. Fresh win 7 and all other drivers. But Shanghai is still unplayable.

This is so weird!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. James Cook

James Cook Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,013 / 0 / -0
    May I ask - and please don't take this the wrong way - but how did this issue get through the beta testing process?

As I've already mentioned, this track runs smooth as silk for me so I'm unaffected, but surely a team of testers would have advised on this issue pre-release?

• Like Like x 1
  10. machwebb

machwebb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +224 / 0 / -0
    It didn't, quite a few people had the problem (as it is now). It was reported. It got better too. So I have no idea beyond that.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. James Nance

James Nance Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +301 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I even had issues with it in Beta but they worked on it and was better before release. Thats why I am surprised this is happening still but to others. Its tough because as testers, we have varied equipment and hardware, so its a good chance we will find something before it meets public. But thats not always the case, they are looking into a lot of things, and can be done, look at Macau of course.

12. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    Interesting points on the beta testing. I would love to hear if S3 has been able to reproduce the issue in-house at least....step one of a potential fix

If i'm honest, not like im dying to race Shanghai, never knew they had a track until this release, but obviously not the point here.

13. Peter

Peter New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

...same problem with zotac gtx 980.

14. jayblue

jayblue Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    My FPS are also lower at Shanghai than other circuits. An interesting discovery i had for ATi users was that I tried updating to the 15.5 ATi driver for my R9 280X 3GB but after logging with fraps i actually found i lost FPS compared to the 14.12 Omega driver. The average dropped by around 5 FPS so i rolled back to 14.12.

Turning car reflections down to low from high did free up some extra frames.

15. heppsan

heppsan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,268 / 0 / -0
    Shanghai works fine for me.
    About 64 fps at the race start, and then between 64 and 74 the first lap.
    After that it never goes below 80 fps, getting somewhere between 83 and 110 fps the following laps.

The only track I have issues with what I can reccal is Hockenheim, I get drops down to 38 fps on thattrack!..

16. James Nance

James Nance Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +301 / 0 / -0
    Me too, its really bad for me, everywhere else is good sofar.

17. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Due to the fact that only a few are suffering from this problem I doubt very much if S3 can do that much as this is more than likely a problem with the offending systems, of course different game engines use different methods to get similar results and some manage it better than others. A large percentage of users are oblivious to how many things are running in the background on their systems or how to optimize their systems for intense graphical output. Unlike game consoles PC's need some love, 40% of the services running on a standard Windows system are redundant and all use resources, for best results I've found it best to strip out everything not needed, this site may help http://www.blackviper.com/ but there are plenty of others out there. Every system has its own bottleneck and with a little bit of time you can eek out a fair amount more horsepower with no cost.
    Just so you know I don't suffer from a large drop in framerate on any track but do still suffer from the odd micro stutter but only online so maybe there could be a bit more tweaking by S3 in this area. I use an i7, 16Gb 1600 ram and a GTX780, I also use another i5, 8Gb 1600 ram and a GT660, this system also has no framerate drop on any track but graphical detail is reduced to compensate. Every piece of software running on your system uses varying amounts of resources and you will not believe how a small thing like framerate recorder, badly coded could cripple a system, keep a check on your memory usage, poorly coded software can suck the life out of a system.
    Then, when you've checked your system, streamlined it for gaming, enjoy!
    If its still giving grief continue with rant!

• Informative Informative x 2
  18. Frank25

Frank25 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    Shanghai works fine for me, too, even with car reflections on HIGH. But when I started playing Raceroom 18 months ago, I had problems with framedrops at Hockenheim at the hairpin corner when I was driving test or qualify sessions. At a race with many cars in front of me, the framerate was much better. So I thought my PC must be strong enough for high framerates and then I found a posting in a forum about wrong energy settings in windows 7 with CPU parking active. Now I use the freeware tool "ParkControl" to prevent CPU parking and my problems with framedrops for no reason in Raceroom have gone.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  19. Yevgeny Lazorenko

Yevgeny Lazorenko Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +793 / 0 / -0
    I bought Shanghai the day it was released and I was having on low-mid range graphics about 30-40 fps with full grid in single player mode, at some parts of the track it was 20-30 fps.

Rest of the R3E's tracks with same settings run at stable 50-60 with full grid.

Since then I enter Shanghai for sometimes to observe how's things are going on within optimization. And before today everything was the same 20-30 fps, but recently I entered Shanghai again, hoping that work is on progress and to my disappointment FPS @ Shanghai became even worse, from 20-30 it fell down to 10-15 fps... If you did some changes @ Shanghai recently – so... they did even worse.

Graphic settings are were the same since track's release. I am so upset about it, the track is really cool to race and I can't because of this low frames... Same as most people.. Terrible situation.

After that I dropped everything in settings to low and again 10-15 fps with full grid...

I thought it was bad when I first driven it, but now it's even worse... :”(

20. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    OK here's some interesting info that may be useful. Preface - the following is all at 1080x5760 res - After previously having still poor performance on the lowest (absolute lowest, manually set) settings, i now have decent performance on medium/high, and smooth performance on the low setting (not lowest). I swapped out my motherboard tonight, because my previous one i had taken a chunk out of it with grinder (long story lol) and the RAM slots were not all working, preventing running dual channel ram. I went from my gigabyte ga-z97x-soc to a refurbished MSI M power max Z87....and of course now running dual channel ram, and also 4 more gb ram (12gb total)

so the variables for me going from poor performance to acceptable performance (the track is still a beast resource-wise) are....

1. Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z97x-soc to MSI MPower Max Z87 - I don't have thorough knowledge of mobo components/chipset, etc to even consider how this would help.

2. RAM mode - single channel to dual channel - this is intriguing to me - i understand normally it should not have much real world difference - in gaming especially.

3. RAM amount - 8GB to 12GB - i really doubt this has much to do with anything, but then again 8GB is not so much anymore

everything else on my PC is the same - 2xr9 290x (using 1 for r3e), SSD drive. Shanghai runs at acceptable levels now.