Problem Problem with position in VR and would like to indicate settings for osw

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Vtec_spirit, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Vtec_spirit

Vtec_spirit New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    When I am playing, the vision in vr is great, correct position ..
    But the image caputurada, is very close to the steering wheel, as in this video, different from what I'm seeing la no vr, does anyone know how to solve?

And would you like to configure settings for osw

thank you :)

2. ndwthx1138

ndwthx1138 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +101 / 0 / -0
    Those things don’t make a lot of sense to me. If the video is too close and the steering wheel is too close I’d think the position is wrong. However,

I’d use the vr reposition button once sitting comfortably in the car. The wheel should then back up. If you need it to be further after hitting the vr reposition - there are buttons for moving the seat forward/backwards/up/down.

I believe on top of all this there is yet another button for moving the video further/closer (I’ve never used this as the vr re-center gets me very close and then I adjust the virtual seat).

3. Vtec_spirit

Vtec_spirit New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm using translator, maybe there are some errors ..

My vision is perfect and correct in the rift, just the recorded image that is very close to the wheel, I will test recalibrate everything everything during the recording later

4. fbiehne

fbiehne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -0
    Same issue here: when recording in VR the captured video is very close/narrow, although inside the Rift it all looks fine. Also recentering VR world scale did not solve that.

5. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    Are you capturing the image you get on your monitor while using the Rift, or the image you get directly in the headset itself? Also, remember that you lose a lot of peripheral vision on a flat monitor, so 16:9 videos of VR will always feel "zoomed in" by comparison.

6. fbiehne

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -0
    I record the image from the monitor I guess. Using GeForce Experience.
    I have lots of other videos from Iracing, Assetto Corsa or Rfactor 2 and none of these seem to be so far zoomed in.

7. Daniel Finney

Daniel Finney Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    Not sure if this is digging up an old thread or not but I've been looking for the solution to this problem and haven't been able to find it either. I've recently moved over from rF2 and would love to record some R3E videos for my YouTube channel, but having the same issue whereby anything I record from the VR mirror monitor looks very zoomed in. I figured I would increase the FOV but that option is disabled in VR and editing the xml file for the individual car to change the FOV has no impact either.

I did notice though that the VR mirror (aka. Monitor View) resolution is determined by the settings of the non VR version of the game. For example, when I first started recording, my non VR screen resolution was 2560 x 1440 and this meant that the VR mirror displayed at the same resolution too. This caused the HUD elements to be absolutely tiny and FPS performance was poor. Dropping the resolution to 1920 x 1080 made the HUD and FPS much better, I also increased the FOV multiplier to 1.3 but when I restarted the game in VR mode this setting didn't stick!

Anyway, Not exactly sure what's going on here but essentially I would like to figure out a way to increase the FOV on the VR mirror. Increasing the FOV on the non VR game works fine and achieves the effect I'm after, but I can't adjust this setting for VR, I've included a couple of screenshots to demonstrate.

Any help would be massively appreciated!

r3e 1080.PNG r3e nonvr.PNG

8. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    It doesn't work because the FoV setting has no affect on VR. The mirror shown on your monitor is a screen resolution "window" of what you're seeing in your headset, not a separate image with separate camera settings.

One thing you can try is using OBS to capture your actual headset directly instead of the mirror. You can then crop the output to place your recorded "window" on the area you want your viewers to see. This is what I do for my own VR streams, as the default mirror's viewpoint is much too low so viewers can barely see out the window. (I guess I must have a tendency to tilt my head forwards when driving.)

9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +365 / 0 / -0
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Daniel Finney

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the tips guys, looks good! The headset position and even the Steam VR mirror have a much bigger field of view than the R3E VR mirror and would be perfect for recording to OBS. But when I record like this, I lose the really cool feature of the R3E mirror whereby the HUD stays in the same position on my desktop monitor no matter where my head is pointed (which is vital for when I'm recording my videos). When I capture from Steam VR or the OBS plugin, the HUD moves around with my view as it is recording directly from the game space and not recording my desktop monitor. Hmmm.

Is there any way to adjust the R3E mirror settings through a config file somewhere? It seems to me that the default settings are cropped way too much.

11. Daniel Finney

Ratings:
    +51 / 0 / -0
    Have taken a few direct comparison screenshots FYI to help explain further.

1. Non-VR mode
    r3e1.jpg
    • Resolution set to 1920 x 1080
    • Nice and crisp
    • HUD elements are full sized and fixed in position
    • Doesn't look zoomed in
    2. VR (R3E mirror)
    r3e2.jpg
    • Resolution set to 1920 x 1080
    • Very pixelated, jaggies everwhere despite running supersampling, looks great inside the Oculus though (BAD)
    • HUD elements have shrunk slightly (BAD, why is it doing this?) but still stay in fixed positions when I look around (GOOD)
    • Very zoomed in, left mirror and hands no longer visible, virtual mirror is getting in the way of the driving view (BAD)
    3. VR (Steam mirror)
    r3e3.jpg
    • Not sure what's going on here but Steam seems to be mirroring at a wider resolution and stretching the image (BAD)
    • Not as crisp as the non-VR mode of course, but nowhere near as bad as the R3E mirror, must be also capturing the supersampling, best I can hope for recording VR footage (GOOD)
    • HUD elements are still shrunk (BAD) but now move around when I look around too (BAD) I need them to be visible at all times
    • Zoom level is back to the same as the non-VR version of the game (GOOD)

12. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +365 / 0 / -0
    Unfortunately you can only have one or the other - what the mirror sees or what the VR headset sees. You won't be able to have a static HUD on screen when using an external mirror.

13. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    They aren't shrinking per se. The HUD in VR is displayed in a screen-sized area in front of you, which can be zoomed in and out to make the HUD appear bigger or smaller in virtual space. The actual size of the HUD isn't changing though, which is why it looks far smaller on your monitor, and is unaffected by any zooming you do in your VR view.

Unfortunately as Scout says, there is no "best of all worlds" solution to this issue. Something has to be compromised. :(

14. fbiehne

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -0
    I can relate to the problems Daniel is having. Raceroom seems to be the only sim (also using AC, ACC, RF2 and Iracing) where the VR mirror seems to be out of place respectively does not match with the picture you’re seeing inside the VR device.