Recommendations for running R3E

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jbfan, Apr 29, 2019.

1. jbfan

jbfan Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Hello All,
    My current PC specs are as follows:
    AMD X4 860 Quad Core 3.70
    Windows 10 - 64 bit
    8 Gigs RAM
    GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti

I am thinking of upgrading to the GTX 760 or 790 GPU because my ultimate goal is to run R3E smoothly on max graphics settings. Would that be enough to do it or would I need to upgrade something else?
    I can run the sim very smoothly now but I still get some "jaggies" in different areas. I just want to make the graphics as smooth as possible without slowing overall gameplay.

2. SwaggerJacker

SwaggerJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I'm not knowledgeable enough to give a firm answer, however, if the game runs smoothly now, The GPU upgrade you speak of would probably cure your jaggies.
    I have an i790S running at 3.2GH with 12 gigs of ram. Also a GTX 970. Nothing special, but there isn't a game I haven't been able to run. I say all that, to say that I feel the 970S is a very good card. Also, I run RR at max settings. I think the game is optimized well. I hope I helped.

3. RWB Charger

RWB Charger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    I assume when you say GTX790 you mean 970? The 970 will perform a lot better than the 760 which I wouldn't recommend it won't be powerful enough, the 970 will but you may become CPU bottlenecked but will definitely run better settings with some AA.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. jbfan

jbfan Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Thank You for the responses. I purchased a Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1050ti and it runs the sim great, no bottlenecking, however, I'm running all NVidia control panel settings on default but I still see the occasional jaggie or shimmer. Are there specific NVidia settings that would make the graphics even better? I also have NVidia Inspector.
    Thank You

5. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    side note: the car reflection will never be smooth in Raceroom, not even with a 2080 Ti. In AC its super smooth for instance. Dont use motion blur for normal driving, perhaps only for replays.

6. RWB Charger

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    What do you have the AA on in game?

7. jbfan

jbfan Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I'm at work now, but I believe the AA is on the Highest setting. 5, I believe?

8. RWB Charger

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    It's 2x 4x or 8x MSAA

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    What is AA exactly? I have seen it before but never understood what that is.

10. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    Anti Aliasing are filtering techniques to remove pixelation artifacts. Our screens display pixels at a fixed grid, in reality that pixel would represent the entire area of information "below it" (infinite details). In computer graphics however we can only compute the results of discrete points.

Let's say that pixel area covers something that is 50% black/white, we would assume the pixel should be grey.

Now because we calculate points (samples) we may return a fully black or white pixel instead depending on where our point was.

Most AA techniques therefore try to gather more samples to represent the pixel area better and do some averaging. This is reflected by the number. 4x means 4 samples per pixel.

More details about MSAA
    https://mynameismjp.wordpress.com/2012/10/24/msaa-overview/

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: May 19, 2019
  11. jbfan

jbfan Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Great explanation!! Thank You!!

• Like Like x 1
  12. jbfan

jbfan Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Well, I continued reading through posts and changing/testing settings and FINALLY I found a combination that worked for me.
    Antialiasing settings in Nvidia Inspector: 8x multisampling & 4x sparsegrid did the trick for my system. No aliasing that I can see and the sim runs smooth as silk with a 20 car field. Thank You all for your valuable input. Very helpful.