Fanatec Podium Series

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Gopher04, May 31, 2018.

1. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    from what most people say, it's not that much difference, the DD1 and 2 is a littlebit smoother than the competition, but otherwise it's almost the same feeling as the stronger options in the direct drive market, so nothing spectacular new.

you can use the Fanatec Ecosystem
    no USB cable flying around from the steering wheel to the base
    Lower price
    Upcoming own Software
    Plug and Play
    Inbuild Display.

Just some of the points...

8.5cm and 7.5cm distance between the front screws. I don't know why it's not possible to use them as hardmounting options. but the front and back side are used for air flow.
    airflow.jpg mounting.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: May 15, 2019
  2. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
  3. HomieFFM

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    I can't find it, the problem is, there isn't a standard Podium DD1 rcs in the folder. Just the one I had renamed

4. Ablaze

Ablaze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    Why should we send a standard profile to a dev? I mean they created it so why shouldn't they have it? :p

@HomieFFM send him your custom rcs file from the file path I posted earlier.

5. HomieFFM

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    That's what I have sended him, but I don't know if this is useable in any form. J-F doesn't answer to the message either, so I will just do nothing now until he says something xD

6. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    1. You can with other DDs too pre new f1 wheels. But to be honest, I personally prefer more professional and custom wheels. Fanatec rims are still more of toys in the end.
    2. What's the deal about this? It's not like you feel it or it affects your driving. Simucube can have wireless wheels now too btw
    3. Nope
    4. Like the other DDs with own software. Where's the difference?
    5. Like every other DD out there nowadays.
    6. Shiny gimmick.

Also it's not "smoother" when powered. When it's not powered the cogging from the magnet and the teeth is a little less prominent. At least that's what I observed at Simracing expo.

- peak torque only for a few seconds
    - very big housing
    - a fan that makes noise
    - consumer electronics, not built to last
    - already a case of blown PSU, very trustworthy

:p

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    I really can't understand one thing on the internet:

If you say something positive about the Fanatec DD wheels, suddenly someone come to tell how good other wheels are and Fanatec is crap and so on.

Why? What brings people to do this?

We have all the same hobby. No one is stealing your toys.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    Who said it's crap? I just responded to a post with misleading information. Just getting the facts straight.

• Like Like x 1
  9. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Oh yes, sorry forgot about that.
    You have that truth, others not.

You sound like an apple Fanboy when someone is telling, that he has a very good Android phone. No one is asking then, but there is still the one apple Fanboy coming around and telling that his apple is best and Android is worse.

As I've said: as if someone is stealing your toys. I really can't understand.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Ablaze

Ablaze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -0
    Bad experience with their hardware in the past.

11. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    I don't know what's the problem here.
    Homie pointed out the differences and I basically just said that what he posted are no differences. Then I posted the differences I know of.
    Just my personal opinions, observations and experience. And where did I say that one is better or worse

• Like Like x 1
  12. wesker6664

wesker6664 Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    You come in a Fanatec thread, saying that Fanatec stuff is like toys, and then wonder why people might feel offended... to me this is trolling. You should've worded that better.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Couldn't say it better

• Like Like x 1
  14. HomieFFM

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    1. You don't need any additional adapter for the steering wheel/ you can use your Fanatec steeringwheels and other stuff right away if you bought something in the past/ you don't need to buy any special new steering wheel (that's what I meant with that) and the steering wheels are good quality, but there is no point to compare it with a 800 Euro Rim
    2. Lot's of other Direct Drive Systems only work with this flying around USB cable and it's easy possible to damage the Steering wheel - yeah maybe there are options now, but not that much. so its still a point
    3. Yes - and yeah you find cheaper options if you search, but you will have less at the end
    4. It will be a new software, nobody knows the difference because it's not released yet
    5. Fanatec will be supported right away more likely , that doesn't mean others wont be supported in future releases
    6. Thats your personal butthurt opinion, not a fact - because it's very useful

It is smoother when powered, I don't feel any cogging at all and I've been testing now for a few days.
    You observed something with a not finished software on an expo, where most likely they turn this thing up to the maximum for many hours.

-peak torque will rip your arms off
    -housing is still a compact design
    -every fan makes noise, the fan doesn't even turn up at all, only after a few hours and then just with very little noise, but yeah thats your expo observation with the max settings.... no point in that.
    - consumer electronics, not built to last? Do you have a time machine? Thats why they are giving 5 years of waranty for the DD2... and 3 for the DD1 , makes no sense.
    - said someone in a forum , failours are always possible, with every production line,
    It's not like every DD1 blown up in the last days - You have a warranty

The biggest point is: I'm having fun with it and I literally don't care if you like it or not with your sherlock observations.
    I just wanted to say some good things about the wheelbase and not convince anybody,
    or make the other wheelbases look bad or that they can't do certain things.
    I don't get money from Fanatec, so why should I care.

Have a nice day.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: May 16, 2019
  15. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    2nd that..
    Gear which cost more than €800 is not a toy if you ask me. When you buy a T80 without any FFB you may speak of a toy.

16. sbtm

sbtm Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +591 / 0 / -0
    I talked about the rims. The buttons they use are toys, sorry to say that, but somewhere needs to come the low price from, compared to custom wheels ... Which don't have to be more expensive. The are 2k € ones and also 250€ ones.

And about the butthurt thing... shiny was a reference to Firefly where they say this when they think something is cool. And the display is a shiny gimmick, where is this butthurt?

Problem here is some people directly seem to feel offended when a post is not 100% positive. It's not like it's a secret that Fanatec had their problems with the reliability of their products in the past and their products get finished at the customer.
    I hope all the podium buyers don't encounter any serious problems but just to be realistic: they build consumer electronics where a certain percentage of failures is calculated. To be safe they needed to use more expensive components but the resulting price wouldn't fit their target market.

Anyone here with the CSP V3 pedals? The screws of mine are soft like butter and you are likely to damage them when trying to loosen them. That's why it's called consumer electronics.

And no one doubts the great experience the Podiums will give you.

• Like Like x 1
  17. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    I want to share my thoughts about Raceroom and the podium wheel DD1.

Today I drove some laps on Nordschleife and I can't get my smiling out of my face.

I'm using the settings recommended on the Fanatec forum with some fine tuning and it works very well.
    You can catch every slide, it's hard to drive but easy to control. Driven the Audi R8 LMS there.
    You can feel the road, the curbs, no rattling while surfing on the curbs but a feeling for it.
    I could instantly catch my best times on many seconds on the VLN variant.

It's fantastic. Solid product without problems here. It works since the first second perfectly for me and makes much much fun.

Oh, and the display is very useful. I love the tuning menu. No need to alt+tab to go to some software, you can change your wheel setups on the fly with the wheel buttons and on this display you can see some telemetry data. Useful while installing and doing setups for the cars. I really appreciate it.

• Like Like x 4
  18. BrianBosch

BrianBosch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +129 / 0 / -0
    Are you willing to share your personal fine tuning on top of the recommendations from the Fanatec forum?
    I fully agree this is a great solid product and gives you that smile from ear to ear (constantly)

19. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Wonderful guys, really great to read your positive experiences. I've not used the dd1 fanatec sent to me yet and I'm still feelint very impressed by the 2.5 clubsport I got last week. We have some new developments in the ffb department which are really going to take things up a level. @FormelLMS would you mind sharing your settings for the dd1?

• Like Like x 2
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 2
  20. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Very curious about the FFB development.. I really like my CSW v2,5. Although I’m saving money for a DD wheel. Meantime I really love my wheel and for me the best belt driven wheel at the marked atm.