WTCR driving guide (help)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ravey1981, May 13, 2019.

1. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Surely just the FX90's being hyped up! :rolleyes: Just wish my brain could keep up with such HP festooned animals, can manage the odd hot lap but to maintain breakneck speeds from lights out to the flag, just bamboozles my brain and over squeezes my sphincter. :eek: Young mans car, of course being the adolescent old git I am, I will buy them all, never know, my reflexes may just be temporarily dormant and about to burst back into life, right round the next corner. Then again I may just dive to the tunnel at the RR track and make music! :cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Practice keeping the revs up during initial braking, sounds dumb but tiz how it's done. Once you get the hang of it you'll be riverdancing your way around every track! ;)

3. jayblue

jayblue Active Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    A couple of tips that might help -

1) Brake in a straight line, sounds obvious but with no weight on that rear axle turning and braking in to high speed corners is a fast way to an accident.

2) Trail brake. Keeping a little throttle percentage on while you turn in will stabilise the car.

3) Soften off the rear ARB and / or stiffen the front ARB.

4) Make smoother transitions between your throttle and brake inputs. Aggressively accelerating and suddenly lifting off completely will make the car rotate unpredictably.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Wilko Jones

Wilko Jones Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I've adjusted the Brake pressure forward. That helped me keep the Hyundai from spinning.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Skelm

Skelm New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you are uncertain , like me, I have been using a little piece of software called "virtual race car engineer" which has been a great help for me , who knows very little about car setups.

6. ValentinoTaylor

ValentinoTaylor New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Do you struggle with driving the cars in general or just against the AI?
    If it's the latter, don't panic too much. R3E's AI is quick in fast corners in general, and I think with the WTCR cars they are too quick. I often go "wow, where did that grip come from?" when they pass me.

Otherwise, what jayblue said. Keep it smooth, avoid lifting the gas too much, unless you want to make the car rotate.

7. benoityip

benoityip Active Member

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    This driver has died from accident in this corner a few years ago in a WTCC Chervolet
    This is his tips regarding left foot braking in a Honda DC5 Type R in Macau 200km/h corner. I think WTCR has overdone the lift off steering a bit, but I am fine

upload_2019-7-31_17-14-50.png

Full video of Macau at

8. Heath

Heath Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Wilko Jones

Wilko Jones Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    I have been wanting to get something like that. I have Setup Develoment tool 2018 on my Steam Wishlist, and I was hoping that it would work well with RaceRoom. But I didn't really look into it's reviews or if it will help me with this sim.

Where did you get Virtual Race Car Engineer?

Thanks. I'm checking this out right now.

10. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    Why is the Cupra so unstable under braking? The rear tyres lock much faster than in the Honda for example.

11. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    On default setups or custom?

12. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    Try it in leaderboard mode using the default setup with the rear wing set to -5°. The rear tyres tend to lock up in the braking zone in front of the Mercedes-Tribüne on Hockenheim, for example. It's not a problem at all in the Honda.

13. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Will have a look when I get chance, assume you have tried moving brake balance a couple of clicks forward? All cars are based on geometry etc of their real life counterparts so do have different characteristics, this may just be one of them.

14. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    Yes, it's better with the brake balance shifted by 3% to the front, but the Cupra and Honda feel so different under braking that it's hard to believe they're both TCR cars.

15. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    Funnily enough, the invitation for the Cupra Simracing Series race at Monza mentions the following:

Due to overheating brakes issues, after a recommendation by the developers, the race distance has been shortened to 45 minutes!

16. Olaf Hülse

Olaf Hülse Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +505 / 0 / -0
    This seems to be logic as WTCR is a sprint series, so normally they deal with races up to 30 mins. Monza as a brake-killer deserves its name and therefore it is quite realistic.
    But on the other side, it's quite unrealistic that TCR cars that survive Endurance Races of 24h can't deal with these small sprint events. Do they use other brakes there? All I know is a different fuel tank as well as different tyre sets that can last some endurance stints...
    Therefore, it would be nice to have these TCR24h car specs to be able to run VLN and Endurance races in general on tracks such as Spa, Nürburgring Nordschleife and Dubai. Even as an Ai, you can't really endurance race with them 'cause they do thousands of stops.
    Greetings

17. stephen19

stephen19 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    very helpful information

18. majuh

majuh Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +257 / 0 / -0
    So, I did a 45 minutes race in preparation for the race tomorrow, and guess what, after exactly 45 minutes, my left rear brake went bust.

20191101184635_1.jpg

19. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    It is being looked at I can assure you that.