Monitor recommendation & settings

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kepalagg, May 19, 2019.

1. kepalagg

kepalagg New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi all,

New to the scene. I am using TS-PC with T3PA-pro pedals mounted on a playseat challenge.

I am running a GeForce GTX 1060 6GB graphics card.

Currently using a 27 inch Samsung monitor (S27D590C). I find it a tad small, and looking at "upgrading" to a bigger screen that will allow me cockpit view. What would you gurus recommend? and also what settings to bring the best out of the experience?

Cheers,

2. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    i just use 1 screen , and that im finding is just to small 50 inch , after measuring a few cars , i need a 65inch screen at least

Andi

3. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    You have the same model of monitor as I do, except yours is a few inches larger. I race only in VR but would like a better monitor myself, though I haven't done any research yet so can't really recommend anything.

What I can say is that, depending on your other hardware, you should be fine to run R3E on full graphics settings with a 1060. I always did before switching to VR and had no real performance issues. The only things I do switch down/off is motion blur because it's horrible, lens flares because I always drive cockpit view and the human eye doesn't suffer from this issue, and reflections because they were all jerky... though I believe they've fixed reflections since I last used them.

4. kepalagg

kepalagg New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    65 inch is pretty intense.

5. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    its the size of an average cars windscreen

Andi

6. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I love my triple setup... 3x27inch running 7680x1440.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. kepalagg

kepalagg New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    What is the FOV settings for you? Do you feel 27inch is small? at least for the front screen?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Bull Shark

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I use 0.9 as FOV and no it is absolutely not to small. It almost look like if I play in VR. The side screens have an angle of 50 en that is perfect. I have a life view.
    The only thing I miss when I not play in VR is the 3D depth and not be able to look around in the car. Other then that, I love the triple setup.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Protazy

Protazy Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Playing on a 65" TV is great, use it when the TV is free, when not 32" curved monitor does the job very well too

10. Jorgen Wahlby

Jorgen Wahlby Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    A some what "visual" representation of 3 different ways to see the road ahead of you. Not all games have full support for VR or triple screens. So look up on what each game have in support to use :cool:

VR vs screens.png

11. Jorgen Wahlby

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Here you have a youtube clip encoded for triple 24". :D

12. Bull Shark

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Nice, how did you managed that?

13. Jorgen Wahlby

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Fraps 3.5.5 or later have support for triple screens. (But it needs good ram memory for recording)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jorgen Wahlby

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    I tested to record 1 = One lap in full size at Spa with 29,97fps. It took 12,6Gb that's 12,5Gb for 2min of recording. So try it with half size to lower the memory usage. I had low framrate (between 15fps and 29fps) when recording with my old GTX 980 in full size but no problem in half size :oops:

15. Bull Shark

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Thanks. Will give it a go..

16. BeefMcQueen

BeefMcQueen Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    I'm planning on upgrading my monitor. Was using an old full HD Toshiba 40 inch TV with surprisingly low Input lag but since I play on a desk and also use my computer for office/picture/video stuff it's not very convenient moving that heavy TVset and switching to my Dell U2415...
    My Idea was to get something in the 32 inch range. Curved, UHD to have the ability to keep playing games in full HD, since upscaling to UHD should work very well.

This one https://www.samsung.com/de/monitors/curved-uhd-monitor-ur59c-zg/ seems to have everything I need. My only concern is, I couldn't find a review where the Input lag was maesured...
    Would be grateful for any help or suggestions.