Assetto Corsa Competizione

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by HomieFFM, May 31, 2018.

1. Carlos Barros

Carlos Barros Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Would like to know the same.

2. OtterNas3

OtterNas3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Maybe ask him in the comments?

3. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Of course not. Dissenting opinions are only valid when they come from you. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Gopher04

Gopher04 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 0 / -0
    How did you adjust the sizes??

5. Skybird

Skybird Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Ctrl + arrow left/right; Ctrl + Shift + arrow left/right. Not per app individually, but the HUD layer in total.

Via F2 you can toggle the HUD layer through 4 or 5 settings, one of which is all off. But you get no radar and no written pit radio lines with that.

And having the apps changing sides:
    ^ Works. No perfect solution, but better than nothing. I used "1200".

Its not fully done what Kunos did there. Its just a half-job. VR in AC1 and RR works better, both technically and regarding handling ergonomics.
    I wonder what of these deficits is due to technical limitations inherent to U4E, and what is due to lacking interest by Kunos for VR. Ironically, VR in AC1 never was planned for from the start, and was added later on (thats why its menus are still 2D). I would prefer to have ACC's menus in 2D as well in VR, if that would allow me to use the mouse. Setting up the car in the pitbox is a pain in VR.

Are you listening, Sector3?! :) Quite some things there to learn from Kunos - that you do not wish to duplicate! ;) Avoid their mistakes, I mean.

6. sherpa25

sherpa25 Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Can you share how your HUD looks like with the adjusted hud.json, and changed settings in it?

7. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    ^
    I am VR exclusively.

Also, since it depends on the values you use, and the zoom and size settings that you can alter via Ctrl (+ Shf) + arrow left/right, it would look differently for everybody. But values for the left and ride margin of around 1000-1200 in VR are a good start. I think I am at 1100 now, thsi also seems to shift the upper corners apps moving to the centre of the screen 8where they cannot block the centre mirror.) Adding to the value for upper rim helps to push the radar back into the centre of the screen, if you have it too far up the screen when changing the HUD layer'S size and zoom distance.

But you have it in principle in the video above. It shows how the apps at the bottom have switched sides.

I consider this to be workarounds, the design of the HUD principally is misled, imo. I dont like it (for VR at least). That one needs to edit ini files for some of this - improvised workarounds should not be the basis f how a full release version of a software are being managed.

In the json file I also switched off the ratings apps in the right corner). I do not need these things while driving. Its enough that I can look them up if I want in the main menu. As SP, they do not mean much for me anyway.

The driving and car-physics and -optics they have gotten fantastically right, the sound as well and weather and tracks. Al this is benchmark quality to qhich the rest of the business now must compare itself to. But the general package design is reiterating a traditional weakness of Kunos products: it lacks elegance, completeness, "roundness". The Ferrari academy had no race competition at all. Their kart simulation had no AI and a lifeless, spartanic interface. AC had lacking keymapping and a career mode not worth the name. The preset career in Competizione and the challenges again are lifeless, meaningless, boring. I mean I do not ask for these, I am not interested. I only say that their package design leaves a lot to be desired, and that they should find somebody adding competence to their studio in these regards. They cannot compete with the super-cool elegance of packages like Gran Turismo Sports, careers as presented by Codemasters, or complete options menus like Raceroom. Here they need help - and should finally see that, after these many years. Package design is not their thing.

8. wesker6664

wesker6664 Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    I do not agree with that, at all. Yesterday i gave it a go, Spa with the Lambo and Porsche GT3. The braking, and turn in are good, but in fast corners there are some very weird things going on like the rear end suddenly rotating wildly after just touching the inside curb. Graphically there's tons of aliasing, the game is too demanding and not optimized, it still needs polish. Let's not even talk about the UI, i could not even assign functions to the keyboard so no streamdeck for me...
    The sound is lovely though, but the rest is not in release state, it should still be in beta phase IMO.

9. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Could that be, that they don't want to overtake when you're slow? I have to be really slow, that one wants to overtake.

10. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    Wesker,

Maybe you misunderstood me due to another typo of mine: "All this is..", I forgot one "l" and thus it may have sounded as if I gave additional praise to the AI. But I only wanted to say that driving, physics, sounds, car cockpit immersiveness and weather are genre benchmark imo. On the kerbs thing we must disagree, I see nothing wrong in the kerbs. Kerbs should bite you if you abuse the wrong ones of them and at bad angles and speeds. I read that a lot of people curse about them, but I think that a whole lot of these people overdrive the car and attack kerbs where they really should not. I see the instability of the kerbs but can usually catch it - because I am not as aggressive. You can see that in my pace rating, it stays relatively low.

Stay away from the kerbs, thats the rule of thumb. If just any kerb there is is not to be felt and makes no difference, then it does something wrong and would not even need to be there.

Add weather and wet track conditions to it, and you have to respect kerbs even more. Rightly so. The worst thing you can do is getting locke din a turn with one side of the car goign thorzgh a puddle and the other side over a kerb. You have to better adapt your racing line there. Be aware that dirt, water, drying and wetting, clenaing fo theb track by stremaing water chnages grip of the track up and down along with your degrading tyres that also get infleunced by their grip by loosing car weight due to fuel consumption. Its not all the time like "the older ther tyre the lesser grip" and "and more dry the drying track already has gotten the grippier it becomes" again. Its a complex network of factors here that dynamically interact for growing and declining numerical results of their backgrounds calculations. And some of the results, while being consistent with reality, nevertheless to the unknowing mind appear to be counterintuitive. I do mostly hotlapping and oratcices in aCC so far, and probbaly will stay that way due to my CPUand GPD getting to hot with this beasty title. But the chnages of grip over time with chnbagign tyres and wqetaher and track codnitions are one of the things that imporess me the most, while at first I was not able to recognise it and complained about the "static weather". I was hilariously wrong there, probably input overload by observing too many new things at the same time. The AI to me is okay but nothign too special, the menu and handling of menus in VR especially I do not like at all, the HUD as well.

And then there are the sounds. Jump to 1:40 and then let it flow, he details the sound categories individually.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  11. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I had that until 0.7.2, but now in 1.0(.1) I did not notice it anymore, although I provoked them. Skill 87, Aggression 85-90

12. Karting06

Karting06 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    Please, @Skybird, could you proofread your text? It's sometimes awful to read:
    Thanks ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Exiled Scotsman

Exiled Scotsman Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    Good sim so far, I love GT3, so enjoying all it has to offer. Good sounds, snazzy graphics etc.

However, I would not class this a 1.0(.1). It feels more like a 0.9. Having said that, they seem to be bringing patches out quickly (as they should be with the... questionable... VR support).

14. Eisprinzessin

Eisprinzessin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    It's already 1. 01 ;-)

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Didnt notice a single typo when i read this originally but now that you pointed it out i gotta admit its quite the read :D

16. Skybird

Ratings:
    +803 / 0 / -0
    I admit I excel in messing up typing. I never learned it professionally and worse, I type faster than a pro with ten fingers and faster than I could speak. After these many decades of doing it wrong, its hard to unlearn it. If then I am lazy and do not proofread it, you guys must suffer. :D

No software studio would ever want to employ me for typing code, I swear it. Instead they pay me that I do not do it.

17. Paul Darke

Paul Darke Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    @Skybird I can always delete any of your posts I find with a typing error if that helps you to change. ;)

• Funny Funny x 5
  18. Exiled Scotsman

Exiled Scotsman Active Member

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -0
    I know, I said in my post, albeit in small italics.

I just hope they keep at it, it's a good sim, but it needs some more polish IMHO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    That explains some of your wall of texts :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. Eisprinzessin

Eisprinzessin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Now it should be really a good time to update CrewChief :)

• Agree Agree x 1