Opinions wanted about RRE physics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jbfan, Jun 5, 2019.

1. wesker6664

wesker6664 Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    When answering to a dev (btw i consider it a privilege to read their regular contributions here on the forums) you need to be clear and precise, exactly the opposite of your post, and especially after an offending post like yours -where you implied that the game has no depth. The way you wrote your observations makes it look like it's a common opinion, but honestly i think you're pretty alone on that one...

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. RWB Charger

RWB Charger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    So if we want to get into the real nitty gritty of racing, set ups, telemetry and all the other bells and whistles that go with it without doing actual real racing what simulation do you recommend will do this instead of Raceroom?

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. Eisprinzessin

Eisprinzessin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Ok. Speaking for GT3:

- adjustable ABS
    - proper Flat spots
    - Grain
    - Blister
    - fast dampers
    - tyre pressures
    - wheel speeds
    - proper TCs
    - brake ducts
    tbc

TBH i dont know which of these things where built in meanwhile (i was some month off now). But i think for a sim thats something what is missing. We will see what will come in the future. As Alex mentioned there is something in the pipe.

I dont any yet, but thats not the question of the threadstarter or did i miss something?

The threadstarter is surely impressed by your contributions in this case.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
  4. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    - adjustable ABS
    Yes, that would be nice to add. It is already highly adjustable behind the scenes though.

- proper Flat spots
    Coming

- Grain

Can be factored into tyre wear

- Blister

Can be factored in if a tyre overheats, but the truth is it's very rare these days

- fast dampers

Already there, adjustable behind the scenes

- tyre pressures

Coming

- wheel speeds

Already goes in to shared memory

- proper TCs

Coming

- brake ducts

Already there, adjustable behind the scenes

As far as I'm aware, we are the only studio which is owned and operated by a suspension manufacturer with which we have a free flow of information. Therefore our damper and suspension knowledge base is the best in the industry, bar none. Also, prior to joining Sector 3 I worked full time in real motorsport where I racked up on average 75,000km a year on racing circuits, for 8 years. Prior to that I spent several seasons racing cars in various UK series after spending 9 years racing karts, which i started with when I was 10. I also bagged a degree in Motorsport Engineering in the middle of all that. I hope I don't sound arrogant, but there are several reasons as to why I was asked to be here, but nothing happens instantly.

• Like Like x 18
    • Love it! Love it! x 9
    • Informative Informative x 7
    • Winner Winner x 5
  5. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    I heard "Simcade" somewhere ? Well just ask a PC2, Gran Tourismo , Grid or any other "Simcade" guy about his first steps with RRE :)...what I see is that over the course of the last 15 Years that Simracing became more and more solid and "professional" and so is the "next generation"drivers and their abillity of getting the max out of our simcars along with more and more advanced & fine-tuned physics, which might give a false impression of how hard a sim should be. Those first Simbin GTR Mods Cars back in the days, yeah ! THEY were really hard to drive but even because of some certain limitations in the software AND Hardware department. GTR/ GTR2 changed a lot for me in terms of game depth namely detailed tuning options and my hobby became a passion but soon an obsession (every f****** detail had to be "correct" - in MY opinion, which nonetheless was just an "opinion" :) ). So I realized that there was nothing wrong with my sims but with my head, cause otherwise there will be no Sim that will truely satisfy me EVER.... . And after a longer break I stumbled upon RRE and grown with it again ( so much has changed since 2014) and I'm specially thankful for the pure racing experience simulating an "as real as it gets" Motorsport experience, where I don't have to fiddle around much. Btw. I checked out AC and rFactor too and it took me no effort to get adapted to them, (AC ist actually RRE high on DX11- rF2 reminds me strongly of GTR2 "2018-enhanced-version"), so apart from some detailed features still missing there's no simcade to be found in RRE.....but a lot of high expectations, opinons & statements varying from passion to obsession.
    I*m simply not much interested in technical details, cause I#m rather a speedfreak/adrenalin junkie than a car admirer/amateur engineer/mechanic. So I like to rely most on my experience, my intuition the pure joy of riding a beast, to listen to its (even virtual) language while sitting, watching and listening in the cockpit, than to study technical data logs and displays.....guess I'm generally more like Hunt than like Lauda ;)..in this area (while as a driver I'm more the analytical kinda guy)

• Like Like x 7
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  6. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +377 / 0 / -0
    I will come back to this. I don't get where the attitude of some simracers comes from, that race cars are twitchy unpredictable machines of death. Especially in this day and age.

Was there ever a case where the winning driver would in an interview say something like "We are fast, becasue our car is unstable and twitchy"? Nope, they will usually comment on the stability, and positive handling characteristics of the car and setup. The only drivers speaking about instabilty are those from the lower part of the field, and they are complaining, not praising the car. From day 1 of motorracing engineers has been working on making the cars as stable and predictable, as was possible. For one simple reason - the less stable the car is, the less confident the driver is about pushing it to the limit.. and the slower he is.

And this is what I love about r3e, especially about the recent aditions. The cars have characters, but they are not unpredictable machines of death. Sure, they can bite, if you make a mistake, but with little practice, you can drive them reliably even in longer races. And you really get the feeling of improving yourself.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Eisprinzessin

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for your reply.
    Much appreciated and ended by a quote of myself:

• Like Like x 4
  8. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Great to get such a behind the scenes :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. dene

dene Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Sorry if I am wrong, but dont use the Raceroom any real motorsport teams for testing? I am not sure, but I guess I red something about this.

I dont know about real racing cars, but get real standard cars - its not difficult to drive 160 - 180 km/h on the highway without any problem for average driver. Of course, its not racing, but in the others sims I feel like there is only one parameter - to get driving more difficult like in real life. In the AMS or AC is driving for me like dance on the glass, the cars are only pictures on the monitor. In the Raceroom I feel weight and power of the car and every step on the throttle does not turn the car off the track.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    I often hear that from iRacers and from others who have read this from iRacers, I think.
    Don't someone call it "IceRacing"?

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. David Peres

David Peres Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    Highways are mostly straights with the occasional long wide corner, of course it's easy... try to drive your standard car on a track/road with proper corners and it's very different. In the past I used to drive my FWD Opel Corsa fast on empty unused rural roads and it wasn't easy to be fast... I ended up spinning a few times and doing a few unintentional drifts and on the limit the car felt like it was dancing almost above the road. Sure, it's a road car (and an old one) with no poper tires or suspension, plus, these were old bumpy roads, but I still believe that a proper race car should still feel on the edge of control when you are on the limit, which is something that I feel it's still not quite there in Raceroom since it's easy to overdrive the cars without much punishment... but the more recent cars are almost there and I trust that it will only get better in the future.

Also, in my opinion most of the times when someone complains that sims like AMS or rF2 are too dificult it's usually becouse they don't have a proper understanding of how fast they're going since you don't really feel speed (or fear) in a sim like you feel in real life so you always end up pushing more than you would with a real car.

That said, even among real race drivers they will tell you different things about which sims they feel are more realistic than others, so at the end of the day there's still a lot of subjectivity and placebo to account for in these conversations :)

PS: By the way, I don't recommend anyone "racing" their road cars on public roads like I use to, no matter how empty and far from civilization those roads might be (and they were). Thankfully nothing ever happened (apart from my spins), but it's still risky and thankfully I came to my senses and stopped doing it. :eek:

12. Eisprinzessin

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Then i will recommend you to check out a TCR car, go out of the pits on the Nürburgring, make a lap and the brake from 240 after start/finish and turn right. Its a new definition of glass or ice what you feel on your rear :)

The difference between an roadcar on the highway and this has not to be explained to you afterwards as well ;-)

13. dene

dene Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Well, I agree that own experience is the best :D I wanna try gt3 racing car in our Slovakiaring (first with profi driver, next me) and I will see... maybe then I change my opinion on the Raceroom :D

14. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    Discussing physics without math and data is pretty pointless, however, here are very subjective things that I found that make R3E physics less enjoyable than in the competing titles:

* standstill/low speed friction/resistance is strange, often missing.
    * no flat spots, I am looking forward to them coming, and really appreciate S3 adding them.
    * With many vehicles, I cannot feel vehicle weight, no matter the FFB settings. I admit I am talking about older content.
    * With many vehicles, I cannot feel connection to the road. FFB feels like car is at a repair shop on the rack, and it feels like wheels are in the air. I admit I am talking about older content.
    * I would like to get much more punishing damage. Hitting a wall at 200km/h and driving away like nothing happened... makes me frown.

Please, do not get me wrong. I am big fan of Raceroom, and root for it. I also know that above issues vary greatly with content, and frankly I am no longer playing Raceroom, so maybe my comments are outdated. I am waiting for mechanical damage, flat spots and cool down lap to reinstall the game. I know all of that will come, and eagerly waiting! :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    upload_2019-6-6_20-31-46.png
    It's very revealing that you once again belittle everybody who disagrees with your pov as people who are somehow ideological, implying that you're a more free or rational thinking person than those who disagree with you.

You, just as everybody else, can say whatever you want about the game, even if it's based on false information or ignorance, but if you insult or belittle other users I will use my freedom to point that out.
    You chose to post all those things, to show that kind of disrespect towards people who dare to have an opinion opposing yours. I'm merely pointing out those facts, and apparently there are people who appreciate getting some perspective on your "opinions".

You want others to respect your opinion? Try giving some...

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. Eisprinzessin

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    You are just a bad joke, Chris. Sorry for this, but dont take you more important, you realy are.
    The ppl i "insulted" can speak for themselves i think and dont need you to jump in with your blue helmet on your head as fighter for the poor. Scroll back. Nobody called you to give your "mustard" (lol) on this topic. Nobody needed what you started with your first post here in this thread..

Nothing came in from you. I cleared out the things with Alex and ok.

Bye Bye Chris. I didnt even insulted anybody. OK, now i did. Give me a plonk and be happy.

• Dislike Dislike x 6
  17. dentalfloss

dentalfloss Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Are dynamic track and asymmetrical setups coming anytime soon?

Please say yes. It would make me so happy. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I certainly don't need your permission to share my opinion. I pointed out two simple facts in that post, if you can't live with that, don't blame me. Btw, isn't it interesting how this argument proves exactly the point I was making in that post?
    What exactly is it that makes me a joke, the fact that I ask you to respect others?

• Like Like x 5
    • Love it! Love it! x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    I love this. "It's too easy. Why are my lap times so bad?" WELL, maybe you weren't pushing the car hard enough.

Anyway, aside from how subjective realism is on a computer. And what each person wants in their quest for realism. The fact of the matter is, you can't get real life from a computer. You can get very close. But at the end of the day, your investment lacks in real life hazards. I love sim racing. I do it almost every day. I love it, it's a blast. But it doesn't give me anywhere near the thrill I get from galloping my horse through dense forest. Or riding my mountain bike down a steep narrow single track as fast as I can.

Having said that. And having never drove an actual race car. I personally think most other sims seriously lack handling. Raceroom is my favorite in that department. Others have slightly better graphics imho. But that's about it. And I think many people come here with a preconceived notion based on other peoples opinions. And unfortunately never give it a fair chance.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Jorgen Wahlby

Jorgen Wahlby Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    I won't steal the topic but I have a different approach on the whole matter of, what sim is the best in physics, have the better graphics or realism aso. For me these days it's more .. What sim do I have the most fun in !!! All the sim's I have played are in there own way really good but they all have flaws in realism, graphics, physics and what's not, but right now I have the most fun in Raceroom, hands down. Good DEV's that give support and a big community of private leagues. Public servers can be some what of a "mess" and you have to realize that people in them most of the time have a big variaty in skill level (if none at all) and hard wear (driving with a gamepad or keyboard) can hinder the fluidness you need when driving close to eachother and to be consistent in any sim-game. I have a somewhat "good" reputation on the public servers so I believe regular driver's in there know how good/bad my driving is, and therefore it can be really good racing on the public servers if your "lucky" :D

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2019