Released 5th June 2019 - Update

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by J-F Chardon, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Yeah i guess i could try that as well

If thats not a rhetorical question youll have to explain what hardware acceleration is to me :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardwarebeschleunigung
    It basically means that your CPU has to do all the lifting when it comes to menus and the GPU doesn't share the load. But like I said, don't see that causing rapid flickering, if anything it should probably result in stutters.
    You're on Win10 I assume? Both OS and game in 64 bit mode?

3. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Yup windows 10 and game in 64 bit mode. Dont know what os is :D

4. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Got chance to try the new formula 90 cars this morning. Amazing!!! Had to bump up the ffb as others have but apart from that it's great even on the default setup. Easy to drive fast but hard at or near the limit. Just enough movement as you approach the limit to tell you what is happening. It's a brilliant brilliant sim car. Following those wide rear ends takes me back to many many hours spent playing f1gp on the Amiga back in my youth. 10/10.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  5. sbXII

sbXII Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    @Nico Kunze @Christian Göpfert

Same issue for me. Only there where the background video is running. After moving the mouse FPS drops down and the video stops playing.
    Otherwise everything is smooth like before.

6. Pierre Hox

Pierre Hox New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Anyone noticed a difference from before ? I didn't...
    I assigned a key for the new function (turning led display on or off) but I can't see the flags displayed.
    I have a CSL elite wheelbase and a P1 xbox one wheel

7. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    @Christian Göpfert had another look. My resolution is 1280×768 @ 59hz. Using the touchpad or the dpad didnt make a difference and neither did deleting the documents folder.
    Can confirm what @sbXII said. Whenever theres a video in the background these problems occur; as soon as you move the mouse the background video stops and the cursor is flickering/switching. Once you stop moving the mouse everythings back to normal

8. Paul Darke

Paul Darke Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    @Pierre Hox I think you will find that it is for the new F1 rim.

9. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +1,307 / 0 / -0
    having just run a few online races in the FR-90 at Spa, I got to say the thing is just fab. It's the subtleties that really shine - when the tyres start to go off it gets really sketchy at the rear but you can still manage it if you limit your expectations on corner exit. The thing will slide nicely and predictably on entry if you're leaning on the brake, it'll bite you hard the instant you lose focus, it's a hoot. And racing it is brilliant. The ebb and flow of the gap as you close up under braking and drop back on the exit, the planning and scheming to find a place to pass, all while the engine is screaming at you. Love it.

Liveries are smashing too.

I also remember the old days of F1GP on the Amiga in like 1991, thinking "wow, this is incredible". Amazing to think that 28 years later(!) we're enjoying the same cars but now against real people in thrilling VR with proper rigs and epic sound. Great work S3

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Love it! Love it! x 3
  10. ozcanuck55

ozcanuck55 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    Could not decide...bought all 3 at discount price ...all have their own personality....best open wheeler in RRE. Bravo.
    Started with AI at 95 at Nurb GP...found them too slow, which is unusual for me, they brake early. Will try at 100 and get thrashed.

11. Pierre Hox

Pierre Hox New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Ok, I thought it concerned all fanatec wheels... Thanks :)

12. miganmarra

miganmarra New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    The same thing happens to me as to Nico.

13. Arthur Spooner

Arthur Spooner Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    OK now...this quote raised my eyebrows a bit. You're on a laptop and have no idea what hardware acceleration is. This COULD potentially cost you a lot of performance. Let me explain...

IIRC you have an nVidia GPU, right? Now in laptops you usually have 2 GPUs - some kind of onboard GPU (mostly from Intel) and a "gaming" GPU which is from nVidia in your case as I assumed. The intel GPU is to be used for everything non-3D related like for example the Windows desktop itself and anything that doesn't profit from fast 3D-acceleration-functions. The nVidia GPU only starts to run in case you start some kind of 3D-application, for example a game. This is mostly for power saving reasons. The Intel GPU uses a lot less power than the nVidia GPU so in case of a laptop this totally makes sense to save a lot of battery power. This happens automatically - as soon as you start a game the nVidia GPU will take over.

BUT(!) this happens ONLY in case the game actually has a profile set up inside the nVidia control panel. If this is not the case, even a game will run using the Intel GPU which is A LOT slower. While most games get detected by the nVidia driver automatically and a profile gets created also automatically, this is nothing to worry about in case of most games. The problem here is, that RaceRoom is NOT automatically detected by the nVidia driver and does NOT get a profile created. So you HAVE TO create a profile MANUALLY and assign the nVidia GPU for it to use.

In case you need some manual for doing so, I could add some screenshots, but I'm not on my laptop right now and there is a significant difference between creating a profile on a laptop with 2 GPUs and desktop machine with only the nVidia GPU.

@J-F Chardon: Is it somehow possible to get RR added to the games that are detected automatically by the nVidia driver? I think this would be very handy!

"OS" means "operationg system" which translates to "Betriebssystem" in German. So Windows 10 64 is your OS.

14. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Youre giving me more hope than you should :D
    I did have a look at the nvidia control panel (at least i think thats what it was) and didnt get much further than realising doesnt automatically get a profile iirc. Maybe i tried doing something manually but i have no idea whether that actuslly did anything. So ill start up my laptop and have a look again now :D

15. Arthur Spooner

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    I'm on my laptop now and made a screenshot...
    2019-06-09 15_18_31-NVIDIA Systemsteuerung.png
    So on the page for special game profiles I added rrre64.exe to the applications. AND (very important!) I also set the nVidia GPU as the one to use for this game. Default is still the Intel GPU, even after having set up the profile. And of course you need to apply this change - don't forgrt to klick the apply button as the change will not save otherwise.

16. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Ok, thanks for reporting. I'll open a bug ticket and get back to you in case we need more info or logs.

17. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    So turns out what i had a look at a while ago was the geforce experience and not the control panel.
    Just did what you showed me here and did a little test run with no noticeable difference in performance. But thanks for the idea anyways :)

18. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    After playing with the f90 most of the day I've noticed there is no visible backfire/flames. It can be heard in cockpit though.

Cars from this period definitely spat flames on the over-run.....see video around 15 mins.....

19. Arthur Spooner

Ratings:
    +432 / 0 / -0
    This can be due to 3 different reasons:
    1. Your nVidia GPU is shite and not noticable better in 3D-performance than your Intel GPU
    2. You already had a profile created before and just didn't remember it
    3. You're not doing it right...
    ;)

20. Nico Kunze

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Well
    1. No idea
    2. As i said i mightve done something in the geforce experience thing but definitely not on the nvidia control panel. Didnt even know that one existed until today :D
    3. Always a possibility with me and computers but really im quite confident im doing things right this time :D