Swift Request: Please add another key assignment for gear shifting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Turtle Power, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Dear Sector 3,

Please add another key assignment for gear shifting (up and down option) in order to be able to assign both Sequential shifter and Paddle shifter separately. This will make our life a lot easier.

Best Regards

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Beastux

Beastux Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +281 / 0 / -0
    You can use SimHub and you will be able to have both at the same time with the keyboard emulation.

3. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the info. Going with the simplest method in game assignement would be preferable.
    Edit: Alternatively, in raceroom shift up down to have a secondary option where two different keys can perform the same function.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  4. OtterNas3

OtterNas3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Why not make a copy of your current profile and only reassign the shifter?
    It's easy and fast to switch between them in the options of the game ;)

SimHub, Keyboard emulation, no no no!
    I would prefer Joy2Key, cause it only reacts on Joystick input and you can map "Joystick1" (Seq. Shifter) to trigger the Buttons of "Joystick2" (Wheel)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    I use only one profile for now. However, why making things more complicated. One more key assignment for shifting will be way better option.

6. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I'm still not sure I'm following your request. (Mind me, gamepad user here ;) .) You can assign shift up/down (for paddles) and the individual gears (for h-pattern). What's the assignment you're suggesting supposed to do exactly?

7. OtterNas3

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    Sure ingame would be nice, as many many other things.
    But what is more complicated, coding a second button assignment into the game,
    or making a second profile or even get creative/constructive and figure something out yourself?

I did the profile switch first, and now use other options, never missed a second assignment, but that's me.

*just kidding below this line*

"Damn, i need a second mouse..."
    'Why?'
    "So i can leave one on the second Screen, so i dont have to move the first one so much!"

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. OtterNas3

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    He wants to map the Wheel Paddles and Sequential Shifter same time

9. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    if i want to use two different devices for shifting it would require 2 x shift up and shift down key assignments.
    H pattern is ok cuz its already there in game.

10. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    In even more simple words....:D:D I have paddle shifters that are assigned to shift up and down. Now i want to assign my Aiologs sequential shifter without overwriting paddle shifters. In order to make it possible, it would require a secondary shift up down option. Let me know if that makes any sense :p

11. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    That will do too. Mapping two devices to perform the same function(in this case for shifting gears only)

12. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Profiles, that's what they are for surely, takes no time at all to copy a profile but using different input devices for gears. I have paddle, seq and h profiles, not sure it could be any easier. o_O

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,037 / 0 / -0
    Asignmet of paddles and sq shifter should work simultaneously. RR should select paddles, when the car has irl and sq shifter, when the car has irl.
    It's all about convenience an "realism" (lol).

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I'd go a step further and have control sets saved per car and auto loaded when selecting that car. Other sims do this and it works really well.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Yep, I have several profiles too. Still slightly annoying having to manually swap them over. Absolutely no reason why a profile could not be specified in the car setup and automatically selected.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    I am wondering how much work would be needed for something like that but hell yeah it would be great

17. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Because it could easily be done within the game. See Pcars for example.

18. Manfredk2

Manfredk2 Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    ...or Rfactor2

• Like Like x 1
  19. pierredietze

pierredietze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    As said here: https://forum.sector3studios.com/in...es-and-game-mechanics.495/page-62#post-178105
    let us select the shifting method per car and save it together with the steering options:

RRRE.jpg
    (no, i did'nt hack the game, it's just badly photoshoped...)

Surely you can find a workaround, but the "cleanest" solution is to have this option ingame. Every tool that runs in the backkround (i.e. joy2key) eats resorces and can create bugs and errors, every additional profil you create makes it more complicated. Talking about me, i have a seperate profil for my default Thrustmaster rim (280mm, paddles), one for the Alcantara rim (300mm, paddles), one for my DTM rim (paddles), one for my F1 rim (paddles), 300mm vintage GT rim (H-shifter) and one for my AMG GT3 rim with paddles. All with different settings, FF-settings and button mappings. When i buy a seq. shifter in the future, i have to double the profiles, in case i will use the seq. shifter sometimes? Please, no!
    This option would make things much more comfortable, once select (and saved) your shifting option, you just select the car, start the race and have the shifter available you prefer.
    Don't understand why there is such a discussion about that. You can allready i.e. change the FF strength here, and nobody would seriously recommend to create another profil with higher or lower FF-multiplicators.

Asking for something is always good and cost nothing. If it's not makeable because of the game engine, it's another story, but if you not ask you will never get it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Great idea HACKER !!!!.......just kidding :D. Seriously brilliant