With the announcement of Automobilista 2.....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BreadedVirus, Jun 16, 2019.

1. BreadedVirus

BreadedVirus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    With the announcement of Automobilista 2 being released in December this year with a new game engine, what is Sector 3 doing to get RaceRoom updated to a new game engine? Not saying the game looks bad, but one has to keep up with the competition to a degree.

Would hate to see RRE get left behind in that department, as i thoroughly enjoy RRE to the point that it is my number one race sim.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  2. dentalfloss

dentalfloss Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Sim racers in general don't mind obsolete visuals if the core of the sim is solid. Just look at iRacing.

But I do hope that Reiza is able to get the Madness engine to produce good physics. I'm a big AMS fan.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Mike S

Mike S Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Sorry disagree. You probably haven’t spun up iRacing in while. It’s now one of the top two n terms of graphics quality. R3E now lags behind in 2nd to last with only rf2 being worse.

They need a big change and hopefully it’s already being worked on.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. M-Bimmer

M-Bimmer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +98 / 0 / -0
    don’t really mind not having another new game since R3E has one of the best FFB & physics out there and Tbh it looks quite real compared to other eye candy games.
    In reality things don’t look polish ;)

... we definitely don’t want UE4 engine for visual improvements (hint ACC).

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    Not too sure how anyone can disagree with this statement, thousands still use R Burns rally, GTL, GT2 and Race 07 and all it's derivatives. If you're a driver the driving comes first, if you have to rely on visuals it just shows a lack of imagination. The visuals can be overlooked, as it's all in the personality. ;)
    To elaborate a bit, an average gaming PC is restricted to a finite amount of calculations, lets just say I would prefer the physics department get everything they need and all other departments share what's left. Good believable racing is far more important than over saturated, power hungry visuals, tarmac and apex's don't need to look good, just react the way they're supposed to. If it's not to your visual requirements, try squinting your eyes.
    Smooth silky racing rather than tearing, jerky funfair for me please!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
  6. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    I really couldn't have put it any better myself, and I second it 100%. :) Stunning visuals are a one-time wow-factor. Once you're used to them it comes down to what's under the hood, and R3E has still got it where it counts. In spades. We already know that an engine upgrade is being looked at, so I'm not sure why so many new threads keep popping up on it. Constantly asking isn't going to make it happen any sooner, and to be honest I couldn't care less if it happens next year or the year after. As long as S3 keep the core simulation advancing as they are currently doing, I'll still be playing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    Improving the technology stack does not mean "better visuals only", it is imo wrong to downplay the importance of going with time just because graphics is good enough and other features are more important. That's why I understand why someone would vote "disagree" on the post before. I actually agree that in 2019 I don't want technology from 15 years ago. Those games existed then... And while a handful of people are fine with that, where does the money come from for actual advances. The point of these threads is not annoy S3S but hope raceroom AG actually cares about this title enough to allow a technical upgrade.

Today's hardware could render the current content much faster if modern techniques were possible. We could have more cars on track, we could have a better netcode with greater grids, maybe even better ai with more time spent, maybe ai + multiplayer, dynamic track simulation etc... a lot of "nice" things (not even touching on dynamic weather and daytime).

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. DaVeX↯

DaVeX↯ Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    Hum, you guys focus on graphics and forget about simulation improvements a new graphic engine can bring to the title. AMS lovers (like me) aren't excited by fancy graphic but we are excited because the new engine will bring rain, better night racing, live track features like road surface heat without the limitations an old graphic engine has (RFE plugin for rF/AMS is a great example, you can simulate rain physics but graphically is a FPS killer).Also madness engine will bring SETA tire model...that one in proper hands is a very good tyre model (while Raceroom just received tire air pressure a couple of weeks ago)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. BreadedVirus

BreadedVirus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    Indeed, I’m not interested in graphics alone. If I was, I’d be burning rubber on PC2 and the likes of Forza etc.

As you said a new graphics engine would bring new elements to the game and would make what is without a doubt the best racer on the market...even better.

10. dungbeetle

dungbeetle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    A couple of things that impressed me the most when I first played R3E were the smooth frame rates and the tear-free motion, even when running on a relatively modest machine. Very important not to loose these characteristics imho.

With regard to graphics, they are plenty good enough for me right now, enabling me to 'believe' in the world I'm driving in. For me, the only real improvement would be the addition of other things such as day/night transitions and rain.

If things like this could be added without compromising on other important areas such as fps/motion, sound, ffb, etc., then fine, but they really shouldn't be added at their expense.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Sure the new engine and graphics are exiting sometimes. I love Raceroom the way it is now and nothing wrong with visuals in RR. In addition, it performs well, most cars are immpresive e.g. sounds, ffb, the communication between the car and the driver is spot on. What else ?

Furthermore, if raceroom ever move to a new engine, thats fine cuz i will follow but before they do, I would like to purchase current copy of this game and play it offline prior to departing to a new engine or whatever that might be.
    Finally, Play station 1 graphics are better then iRacing and yet milion people are racing in iRacing

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    I
    I think RE3 will move eventually.... only two things will happen: Going broke or massive success !! I hope the second one

13. DaVeX↯

DaVeX↯ Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0
    To be honest they should evolve rather then moving, they just need to work on the current engine and squeeze every bit of it in order to add the missing features, from basic ones to more complex.
    A good example is what modders did with AC engine, working on top of it they reached such a great result that even Kunos didn't know their engine was capable of that...
    I would move the current engine to Vulkan for example since it is less heavier on CPU threads which will be for physics only, add day-night cycle and weather, etc etc

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  14. pixeljetstream

pixeljetstream Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +412 / 0 / -0
    R3Es situation is more like AMS when it comes to old architecture, AC was a clean design using dx11 with newer components and approaches. Imo it is not comparable to expect that level of capability to modding enhancements. S3S would have done so. They are in a tough position, making the most out of it already.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  15. MattYKee

MattYKee Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Raceroom isnt the same as ACC or Project Cars where the business plan is to release and discard the product. Raceroom is free to play so its living in constant development where things are refined over time.

Its in a state of constant improvement whereas every other racing sim just gets its annual release where they strip content and dont improve much of the polish or quality.

Graphics wise I like Raceroom the way shadows interact with the cockpit. Car models are fairly detailed. Its also very kind to achieving high frame rates. I actually prefer the graphics in this game compared to Dirt Rally 2.0 which often appear saturated and some of the flat environments look awful in lighting. (Argentina and Michigan in overcast for example looks hideous.) Additionally those horrible water and rain FX are forgettable.

Also remember Raceroom wasnt at the current level when it released 7 years ago. It took time to get where it is today. Whos to say if they adopted Unreal Engine 4.0 that the issues with it would'nt be resolved in a year or 2? I mean look at Dauntless its come quite a long way in just 9 months from its free to play development state. Yes theres still lots they can achieve but the idea is what can Raceroom achieve?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Good point. Only Sector 3 knows what they 'can' or 'can't' do. We can only guess and speculate.

• Like Like x 1
  17. milewski.lukasz

milewski.lukasz Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I'd like to see a new engine just to utilize modern hardware. It's annoying to be constantly CPU bottlenecked when there's CPU cores sitting there just chilling out. Wouldn't mind if graphics stay the same. I'm not even bothered by night/day cycle or rain. Just utilize the hardware in more efficient way.

• Like Like x 1
  18. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    I certainly have no issues with S3 moving up the DX ladder and I most definitely would like the added benefits that all above comments mention, who wouldn't! o_O
    I don't believe S3 will use a proprietary engine, I reckon their preferred option would be to maintain as much of what is already coded and drop that into an in house purpose built engine. Makes sense for multiple reasons but may take a bit longer to come to fruition. I guess my stance is they can take as long as they need, to get it feeling like RR. Would only seem natural to make the move gradually, not unlike rF2 have done, fits in with the business model to boot. The fact that other than the initial GT3 engine share news there has not been the slightest hint as to what may happen regarding U4 (thank heavens) or any other options, for me this just reeks of people just getting their heads down and getting on with whatever route has been decided for the future. With so much initial work that would need to be done to port to a new engine or remain in house is so vast, that it would be a lengthy period before they even knew if their decision was producing the desired effects, so to be in a position to toot one's horn about anything, could be a long ways off. ACC have use of more people, totally dedicated to the task, using a mature(ish) engine, with just a few cars and tracks, backed by a big studio and things have not gone too well initially and that's after months of EA as well. Moving RR to a new engine is imperative but to maintain a status quo with my earlier reply, as long as RR carries on improving the way it is, I'm a happy little soldier, :) you don't look at the mantlepiece whilst poking the fire! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  19. [RWB] FxUK

[RWB] FxUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    +1 to that, the AA implementation in ACC is lacking, VR/Triple support, lacking, performance is sub-par and if something isn't right then its always UE4's fault according to Kunos. I have read and heard too many times, UE4 doesn't support it, its out of our control, if its a problem with UE4 plugins, nothing we can do.. etc etc etc. Seems to me like a poor choice of engine for a sim.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Eddie Ellis

Eddie Ellis Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Some of you who are asking for a new game engine like UE4 are missing a big piece of the puzzle. Some of the new game engines are very CPU intensive. That means an average 6 year old gaming PC will choke on them. ACC is a good example of this. My i5 2500K running 4 cores @3.4 ghz absolutely chokes on ACC. Wreckfest is barely drivable at 29 FPS average.
    Before you doubters say GPU, I have that covered with a GTX 1050 Ti 4g. In my case it's because I'm a cheap bastard, but some sim racers we race with don't have the budget for a new $1500 gaming rig. Let's not force them out, or worse to a $400 console.
    I am looking forward to real world benchmarks for the Ryzen 3700X. It's time to answer the question of Intel or AMD once again.