Opinions wanted about RRE physics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jbfan, Jun 5, 2019.

1. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    Hence some of the best physics in the business. Which is why it’s my favorite. Some times you have to state your qualifications Alex. Well done.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
  2. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Yeah the vid was part of a series that didnt really go beyond first impressions. Hed take the amg gt3 around the nordschleife for a couple laps and thats it. Hardly any practice before (if at all, not quite sure), no changing ffb, no changing setup. Itd be quite surprising to see him drive great lap times like that, if anything id say then itd be too easy. And as we all know you can definitely match real life lap times in r3e so that point isnt really valid anyways..

• Like Like x 1
  3. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    I still want to be able to blow a real drivers mind when they drive their car in raceroom for the first time

• Like Like x 10
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  4. Eisprinzessin

Eisprinzessin Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +315 / 0 / -0
    @Alex Hodgkinson
    You have to check Thiims reaction of the question how its compared to real live as he drove "his" AM in Spa on ACC.

1:48.25

5. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    iRansom is more to the point, purchased a few things once upon a time, just can't use them now as they're being held hostage in the good old US of A, donned in orange boiler suits no doubt! :rolleyes:

6. jbfan

jbfan Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I can honestly say this happened to me! although I'm not a real race driver and it wasn't "my race car", I was amazed the first time I drove a Race Room car! I have tried almost every other sim available and I always come back to Race Room. As stated by many others, no sim will ever be perfect for various reasons, so for me, it's about which sim gives me the feeling and enjoyment I would expect in a real race car.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  7. fufsgfen

fufsgfen Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    I did try again and while first time I did not like, 2nd time I did like bit too much, which then has lead to overspending and the usual stuff :D

Anyway reasons why I did not get into Raceroom first time.
    -Default FFB settings gave whole wrong feeling, there was lot of confusing FFB, after I figured out good settings (turned off most of the stuff) it started to feel like other sims.
    -Sounds, there was huge amount of reverb, like on hillclimb track it did sound like driving in sewerpipe or something, found setting that was 100%, turned down to 3% or so.
    -Next I'm not quite sure, my memory has hole there, but I think cockpit view was moving a lot, in every sim I set view to 100% locked with the car.
    -Something was done to free Hillclimb car physics between my attempts

Difference between those settings is like two different sims, I'm sorry but defaults were just really off at least for me and compared to other sims.

Automobilista for example, I don't think that I needed to do much adjustments at all to get that simulator feel out of it, with AC there was some camera adjustments and control mappings that needed to be done, but not huge adjustments for FFB.

I have seeked realism since Pole Position (C64, no one remembers?), but as I own most sims and have driven cars in few I don't own currently, I don't think realism beyond certain point is most important factor, immersion, illusion of driving race car on track, that is what matters more, to have fun and great feeling, that is so much important.

-Sounds, visuals, ffb all needs to work together and with enough tweaking, sure even PC2 can sometimes deliver, AI on that is better as it bumps on you less, but Raceroom is much better in so many ways, most importantly driving feels more immersive.

AC, Raceroom, Automobilista, even BeamNG.Drive can be really good if building car well, those I enjoy most, rF2 is not quite delivering same fun for me, but it depends from the day, PC1 and PC2 after tweaking a lot can be fun, but driving is weird beyond certain point so no competition there.

I don't know about ACC or Forza, those I have not tested, iRacing I did test, but was not giving me good sensations when driving.

I like to do lot of comparisons between sims, same car, same track etc. There are obviously differences, cars are setup differently and so, but each has their own things.

Raceroom I like to drive most seriously, probably even more if track and car selection comes to my preferences of roller coasters with slow grippy cars, but there are really good choices for me already, so there is at least one who's mind has changed.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    You will be able to if you bring Direct D support :p.
    Most people will hate me for this comment now :eek:

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Isn't the Fanatec Podium supported yet?

10. benoityip

benoityip Active Member

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    I bought Acc recently. Raceroom physics are much better. As long as you drive cars with better physics, you will find it very enjoyable.

I tried acc, there are something lacking i cannot tell. Force feedback in raceroom is better as well...

And with Alex on board this game, we have the driving experience as close to reality.

There are some classes such as dtm92 has outdated physics and Alex is working on it. But classes like gt 1, GT 2 and gt3 and get have very impressive physics

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Gt2 physics and ffb is just SUPERB!

Gt3 and Gt1 need a very little touch of improvements but still pretty good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    I must mention that DTM 1995 also amazing. Brilliant excellent

13. dentalfloss

dentalfloss Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    The curb physics are completely wrong. People have been saying this since EA, and the devs just insult or ban them -- telling them that they're just bad drivers and that they don't know what they're talking about. Now even Nicki Thiim says they're way off. He literally laughed at the game when asked how realistic it was. And that just goes to show you how full of shit Kunos is.

#CURBitizione

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. GregoryLeo

GregoryLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +360 / 0 / -0
    Yah this sim has pretty much ruined most other games for me. (note the choice of words there:tonguewink:)
    Anyway, in the early days of racing games. The original settings were more like RRE's. But people complained that it was too easy. Didn't give the thrill they wanted.:flushed: And being such a small niche market at the time. The devs really had no choice but to loosen things up a bit. And that became the standard for realism:grimacing:. And even now for some stupid reason, harder is equated with more real!?! WTF? I have a friend who himself considers quite the sim racer. And he literally told me "That while Raceroom is fun it's way too easy. And not very realistic":astonished:
    I don't know if any of you watched the race between Formula E racers. Who drive actual race cars. Versus virtual racers in rF2 a while back in Las Vegas.
    I have to wonder why the kids, (and yes most of them were in their mid to late teens) who had only ever driven in video games. Completely slaughtered the Formula E men. May be the physics aren't as real as most people like to claim.
    That's just my opinion. For me this feels the most real of them all. The others feel like arcade games to me. Good for some laughs and can be fun. But.....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  15. dene

dene Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Simply because these young guys are hidden talents that are on the border of Michael Schumacher's genius :D

Seriously, in any simulator a professional real life racing driver should beat a simracer. His technique, experience and overview should be reflected. If not, so sim is not right. Look on flight sims - there are a lot professional or hobby real pilots, which simple make in simulator same things like in real cockpit, and they are excellent in the sim flying.

• Like Like x 1
  16. fufsgfen

fufsgfen Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    There can be things missing from sim that some sim racers have adjusted to, like visual depth and g-forces, steering might be quite different compared to reality and so on.

Real laptimes or how fast real racers are driving in sim might not be very good indicator of how realistic sim is from those reasons.

While realism is nice and to certain level it is of course needed, I think that playing with plastic wheel in front of flat screen and sitting in non movable chair does prioritize illusion of real thing over absolute realism.
    Those with DD wheels, full motion platform and VR setup might of course get bit closer to actual realism, but I think player base of this game still consist quite small number of those.

Sims like GTR1 for example, where you needed to pretty much memorize the throttle brake and steering positions to be fast and not spinning out constantly, many think it is super hard to drive a race car based on such experiences, but it is not quite so, good thing is lot has been learned from those days.

Most racing sims fail in realism at below 60kph speeds, tire models used work well at higher speeds and at certain conditions, but there are then out of scope situations which don't work so well.
    For example I had some fun moments with ID1 while doing doughnuts with it, it all started with hitting the grass and being annoyed of good lap being spoiled, so I just kept it floored. Did you know that it takes less than 0.5 seconds for 1 doughnut?

So nothing is perfect, no matter how good they are for intended use.

I think really lot focus go to tires and such, but if body inertia, mass, movement is not quite perfect, then tires can't save much. At early days of rFactor I remember some claims about physics being perfect but what you see is not what is actually happening, or something along lines of that.

Every sim has it's flaws, even Raceroom, I think it is best to pick one that gives one best illusions, greatest feeling of enjoyment and to own them all is to keep competition up so poor developers have to work even harder to provide our much desired entertainment :p

I don't know if policies of Kunos are affected by how NkPro launch did go, they did change a lot of things right after launch, still young in developer scene he did try a lot to please everyone and generally it was a mess at first. I remember him from times of Netkar Namie and surely he seemed quite different when I did read some comments about physics of original AC he replied to.

It really is tough world for developers, there is so much negativity these days, not sure what world has turned into, but these days everything seems to be so full on, appreciation and friendly co-operation have diminished from the world, some people work their butts off to provide entertainment and people attack openly hostile manner, I think that is not good bit of modern ways in this world.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. MattYKee

MattYKee Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    I remember Mika Hakkinen saying frequently "this car is so hard to drive" In 1998 and 1999. Though i havent heard any racing driver say that ever since 2001. But thats the only case that comes to mind other than Aussie V8 supercar drivers who found driving difficult because of physical fitness.

I wont believe it can happen these days though. Way too much data and research is available before you even start an engine.

18. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Yeah its Sector 3 to blame for ruining most racing games (especially if you use steering wheels).
    :D:D:D:D

• Like Like x 1
  19. Skidmark

Skidmark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    by whom ? :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    What is it exactly a thing with iRacing that is said to be the closest to the reality?