Simucube 2 your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Turtle Power, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Wilko Jones

Wilko Jones Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -0
    As long as they (non single box solutions) are around when I am ready to get one, that is all that matters. I'll most likely be looking in the 20nm range, due to having the headroom for spikes and details for GT3 sim racing. Yes it's overkill and I know I'd be able to make due with one of Simplicity's 12nm motors, but I don't like the idea of running it constantly above 60%. If it cannot do 1:1 forces at 50% and below, then it's too weak. At least that's how I see it.

2. Athletic*Anchovy

Athletic*Anchovy New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Even the Simucube 2 Sport has more than enough FFB...

3. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    My experience with Simucube 1 with Small Mige motor 20nm tells me that beauty is in level of details. With 20nm you have plenty of power and with high resolution encoder you get lot of refined information.

I believe that SC2 motor and software can produce even more details and it should for the price tag that you pay. This is just my guess. Cant be sure because I don't own SC2.

4. Athletic*Anchovy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm considering getting the SC2-Sport, but only if I can get a desk/table clamp to mount it there. Our computer room is small so I don't have the room for a wheelbase rig.

The distributor for USA emailed me that he may have a desk-clamp for it within a few months... If not, then I would get the Fanatec ClubSport wheelbase that has an optional desk-clamp available to mount it on your computer desk.

5. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    You could probably get a desk clamp made up by a local fabrication shop.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Badgerous

Badgerous Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    I finally got hold of a SC2 Sport a couple of weeks ago. I'd been looking at the Clubsport base for a while, but given the current no-holiday-in-sight covid situation I ended up going the full hog up to DD. I came from a G29 and the leap on is indescribable - If you can stretch to it and can plan around mounting issues*, then I wholeheartedly recommend it.

*Mounting is only part of the issue here - Given the potential of the forces involved, the stability of the thing you're mounting it to is vital. If it's a lighter desk that has any wobble/flex in it, then I'd stick with the Clubsport.

As for the SC2 Sport, I couldn't be happier with it. The 17nm output is plenty, and I typically run it at ~60%. An uncomfortable experience with RREs iffy collision FFB gave me a nasty shock at ~80%, and I've certainly learnt to respect some of the forces involved from there. I briefly considered the Pro with the common argument being "It's only a little more", but A), that difference covered a second QR mount and an OMP Superquadro which has become my favourite thing, B) I didn't want the two substantial power bricks it comes with, and C) you can't get them at the moment due to supply anyway.

A "downside" to the upgrade is the learning curve of how to get the most out of it. The G29 is proper plug-n-play. I switched it on, raced, and barely questioned if it was ever working properly. This is an entirely different beast, and I've so far spent more time fiddling with settings both in and out of games than I have actually using it. - I'm sure that'll die down over time. :)

As a final note: If you do go down the SC route, then I can highly recommend https://www.simracingbay.com/ Tomo (I believe the chap who runs it) was a pleasure to deal with regarding a small issue I had, and their service is super fast despite shipping from Slovenia.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Athletic*Anchovy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, dude...

Funny, Tomo was the person that emailed me yesterday morning!! :)

My PC computer desk is very heavy and solid...I hope Tomo gets a desk mount clamp for the Simucube 2/Sport... I really don't want to have one made, as it has to be portable. After I race I'll have to put it away to use my PC for work... :(

8. Athletic*Anchovy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thanks, Ravey. The clamp would have to be easily removable/portable after racing....

9. Badgerous

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    Ha. The dude gets about.

For what it's worth I had a similar situation regarding the desk & mount. I ended up buying a standard motor mount, and then getting creative with some spare wood for my own solution. I then used threaded anchors in the desk itself to bolt everything down and for easy removal when need be. The end result is as solid as a rock.

Pics/desciption here:
    https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/show-your-cockpit.62/page-51#post-202423

• Like Like x 1
  10. Athletic*Anchovy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That is awesome. BUT, I am absolutely one of the least 'mechanical' guys in the world. Did you know what the best all-around tool is to have in the house for nearly any repair or building something? It's called a TELEPHONE... WORD...

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    In regards to direct drive, no matter what clamp/s you may use for mounting on your desk, its too powerful for this application. It will shake the f&ck out of everything that is in contact with. Highly recommended to consider a proper solid rig and mounting solution. Having your FFB set to minimum it defeats the purpose of having a DD base.

12. Badgerous

Ratings:
    +223 / 0 / -0
    It's certainly something to be wary of, but I don't agree with that as a sweeping statement. Many desks/tables will of course have no chance, but every situation is different and I've seen plenty of decent built-for-purpose rigs (on Youtube) that have a degree of flex/play in them.

With my own situation, there's no chance the rotational forces generated by the motor are shifting that slab of oak, even at 100% output (which was tested accidentally..:rolleyes: ). I was mildly concerned about vibrations beforehand, but I needn't have been. Everything's so heavy and securely bolted down that the forces can only really go out one way.

• Like Like x 3
  13. PanVlk

PanVlk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, I think good old heavy wooden table is often more sturdy solution than whole bunch of metal simrigs outside the high end extrusion ones.