Opinions wanted about RRE physics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jbfan, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    MX-5 Cup worldwide use a road-legal tyre, which is quite different/more progressive to the racing slicks all the cars in raceroom use. Would be nice to showcase a road-legal tyre here but we don't have a car which uses one.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    Not to mention those cars barely even have the power to spin the wheels if you wanted to :p i think in similar cars raceroom is actually much easier to keep control, though iracing probably does TC better which helps.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    You should definitely hit up Ginetta and see if they would be open to liscencing some cars. The're gt4 cars and g40s in all they're various flavours would be an ideal fit for RR. The GRDC spec g40s run on street spec tyres, a perfect tin top learner car.

• Like Like x 1
  4. higsy

higsy Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +123 / 0 / -0
    I've joined a team this season driving the Bentley and it seems slow compared to the other gt3s , is there a bop possibly in the near future ?

5. Jorgen Wahlby

Jorgen Wahlby Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Regarding physics and other stuff in simracing, 3 years ago Michimi tried to explain his views on the matter with TC and ABS in iRacing compared to his experiance IRL. (I don't think it have changed that much in iracing or in other sim's for that matter but I can be wrong, I don't know if S3S have information on how to work the TC or ABS that other lack) We drove in the same series and we spoke to eachother quit often and I guess he wanted to shed some light on this matter in the iRacing forum at the time.

" I've had a lot of practice with the newer GT3 cars since this new build came out, And I also have experience in real life with Race cars that have both ABS and TC in them. There is only one logical reason that I can think of, it's likely wrong, but this is my insight. This is not me bashing iRacing, rather showing that it's sort of out of their control as to what happens.

The main thing that comes to mind is that I can almost guarantee that iRacing is not being given the proper ABS and TC systems that are built and designed with the cars in mind. Those ABS and TC systems that each brand specifically fine tunes and designs for each car are some extremely confidential stuff. So, with this in mind, I'd be willing to bet that none of the GT3 cars actually handle the way they do in real life.

iRacing is likely having to make their own systems for each car, or worse they're using a generic system that they slap onto every car. As hard as iRacing may try, they will not have the amount of resources that these major brands have to be able to recreate a realistic feeling ABS and TC system. Likewise, to my knowledge, nobody from the iRacing staff actually drives these cars to be able to get a feel for how the car feels with it's proper ABS and TC system. So how could they possibly be asked to recreate it?

Don't believe me? Take a look at the finish of the 2014 24h of Spa. Marc VDS racing was leading over WRT Audi by a margin of something like nearly a lap, and 1 hour and a half to go. Then, the driver in the Marc VDS car reported that the ABS system was failing and he had to begin driving with it off. Dirk Werner is no slouch of a driver, so you'd expect him to be able to continue pace. Errr... Wrong.

His pace dropped by 2 seconds a lap compared to when the ABS system was functioning properly. And eventually he would go on to lose to the WRT Audi by 9 seconds or something around that margin. In the past the ABS systems were there to help in case of a miss from the driver. But now, the ABS systems are actually better than what a driver can do, so the cars are designed in a way to always be using the ABS. Just my 2 Cents... My opinions. I could be entirely wrong, but this is how I feel with my real life experience and my iRacing experience.

Ciao! "
    (https://www.facebook.com/shinyamichimiracing/?tn-str=k*F)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jorgen Wahlby

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    How many tracks have you compared it with? I believ the cars are bop'ed to be equal over a whole series and not only 2-3 tracks :)

7. Thomas Jansen

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    Some of the GTM18 cars got a small boost to balance the esports series, such as the mercedes which is now the benchmark, this has left some of the older cars a bit behind. There have been some teases of the gt3 physics update which is slowly happening, so there probably won’t be BoP adjustments until that eventually comes. The servers now do have an option to manually set ballast weight in case you feel the BoP is really unfair, though the bentley definitely is not that far behind.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Achokaracho

Achokaracho Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Arte The Physics in r3e good?
    I think so.
    When you watch some videos from Jan Seyfarth, Nikki Thim and so on, and they say the physics from sim xyz are bad, do you believe them?
    First you think, wow a real racing driver gives his opinion, nice!
    But then you watch the videos, and as example Jan Seyfarth drove the Mercedes AMG GT3 around Nurburg and in the fast chicane he catches a slide and mentioned, in real life, you can't do that, the physics in R3E are to forgiving.
    Ok, now I'm no rl racing driver and I have to believe him, right?
    But then you check his laptime an he drove 2:00,xxx and you think...hmm only 2 minutes fast?
    Then you check the laptimes from rl and after that the laptimes from aliens and they drive roundabout 1:54, so how he can tell us if the physics are good?
    He didn't touch nearly the grip level of the tires.
    When he drove his lap in 1:25 and tells us the physics are bad, then I would believe him, but we must be more critical with them so to say.

Are the physics in other Sims better, because it's harder to hold the car on track?
    I don't think so, harder to drive doesn't mean better physics.

As an other example Sabine Schmitz driver of Frikadelli Porsche and ring taxi, was asked how hard it is to drive a GT3 car and her answer was, they are easy to drive you can sit an ape behind the wheel and he will be fast :D

The most of us don't believe how much grip this cars have.

When I compare my laptimes between r3e and ac1 I drive the same time around the tracks.
    The feeling is nearly the same.
    I feel the front tires get loaded up under trail braking, I feel all the things you feel in a car.
    I can't drive with 200kph through a hairpin and so on.
    I think the physics in r3e are good as in every other Sim.
    I play ac, acc and r3e and I think they are nearly similar.
    My 2 cents.

P.s. I don't say the rl drivers are bad and it's easy to do the job from them in rl.
    I don't know if I have the balls to go full throttle around nords or other race tracks.
    But we must be critical!

9. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I think the difference between real life driver and aliens is that real life drivers will drive the car as if it was real where as aliens are gamers so will look for loopholes and exploits (setup oddities, track cuts that aren't penalised etc etc). I am a distinctly average sim driver and when I compare my laps to the fast guys the main difference is I stay on the tarmac more, it never even occurs to me to cut and push track limits like they do.... Luckily for me 99% of the time I am in singleplayer mode so it doesn't really matter.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Mike S

Mike S Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I agree that most drivers I’ve heard all say that gt3s are pretty easy to drive. That being said it’s really, really tough to spin out the gt3s in raceroom and I think that’s an area for improvement.

Watching some blancpain and imsa races you definitely see people spin them out even with traction control. I’d like to see the difficulty go up a few notches on these.

11. benoityip

benoityip Active Member

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    Please look at Porsche 911 cup and Porsche 911 Rsr. You can see how notorious 911 Cup cars to drive, and how easy 911 rsr cars to drive. I validated this in raceroom Silverstone circuit, and it behaves very similar. In ACC, the 911 gt3 is not that stable, the rear end lost control very easily.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  12. Achokaracho

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Drive with 5% or 0% traction control and slam the pedal to the metal or of a tight corner and you'll see how fast you spin with GT3 in race room ;)

13. Thomas Jansen

Ratings:
    +563 / 0 / -0
    Definitely being worked on! :D TC should be a no-brainer to turn on ideally.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Achokaracho

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    That's not true in the most cases.
    When you watch Jardier, he is alien fast and don't abuse track limits.
    He is 3 seconds faster than me, but that's ok.
    My or your 3 seconds of the pace isn't that bad as we think.

I give you one example.
    Take Monza.
    Track length 5,793km
    11 corners.

My best time is roundabout 1:50
    Jardier drives roundabout 1:47
    Now we break it down to the corners.

1:50 means 52,66m/s average, or 189,576 kph average around the track.

1:47 means 54,14m/s average or 194,904kph average speed around the track.

He is roundabout 5kph faster in average speed.
    Now put 11 corners into account.
    That means he is 1,36kph faster in every turn.
    He brakes roundabout 0,13sec later and accelerate 0,13 sec earlier!
    That is nothing, but that is the magic these guys can do.
    And not only one lap, no, they do it lap after lap after lap.
    So our 3 seconds of the pace aren't that bad :D
    I hope I didn't miscalculate something, but I think it's right.
    And when I realize this, what I've written I no longer get nuts, when I'm 3 seconds of the pace:D

• Creative Creative x 1
  15. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,042 / 0 / -0
    Well, actually the 911 RSR ain't no GT3 car ...;)

16. Achokaracho

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Hi folks
    I have a general question about driving physics, if you can put it that way.
    When I'm driving fast and I'm at the limit, should I hear a quiet tyre squeal or not?
    I don't know how to express it because I don't speak English very well.
    I always drive in such a way that I don't hear a tyre squeal.
    Is that wrong?
    Because when I watch Youtube Hotlpas from others who are really fast on the road, I always hear a quiet mature squeak in the curves.
    Also with @Alex Hodgkinson in the videos where he drives with the Porsche or the BMW M6 on the Nordschleife I hear a quiet tire squeak.
    Gently, but you can hear it.
    Is that an indicator in the simulations that you are at the limit?
    So these soft/quiet tyres squeak?
    Not as loud as when you take off or put down a 360° :D
    This has been confusing me the whole time since I've been doing Simracing.

17. Jorgen Wahlby

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    Racing tires/slicks don't sound as much as a street tire when you go beyond it's grip level (different compund) and when it loses it's grip it's more excessive than a street tire .We lack G-forces in a sim so to get the sense of grip or lack of it, simracers can use the sound to hear what happens to the the tires instead. (even if it sounds like a street tire in my ears :rolleyes:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. benoityip

benoityip Active Member

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    I have my own car tracking in street tyres and semi slicks a decade ago. The street tyre is very noisy. The semi slicks is much more quiet. Don't rely on sound. Street tyre lost grip gradually, and semi slicks lost grip all of a sudden from my memory

• Like Like x 1
  19. Achokaracho

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    Hello
    A question to @Alex Hodgkinson
    Is it possible to gradually create two basic setups for the vehicles?
    I mean in the same way as in ACC
    There's a safe setup and an aggressive setup.
    Because unfortunately I have no idea of setups and it sucks to drive around with an understeering vehicle.
    Is it possible to make a setup for the vehicles, as it is now understeering for "beginners" and a neutral or slightly oversteering for "advanced" ones?
    Or is that too much work?
    I mean, it doesn't have to happen tomorrow, but over a longer period of time, a few months, it would really be a great feature.

What do other users think of the proposal?
    Would you welcome something like that?

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

• Like Like x 5
  20. Foofer37

Foofer37 Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    I'm just wondering what people think is wrong with the current R3E FFB/Physics.
    Aren't they great as they are?
    Why does every title need to become 'X' or like this or that?
    Can't R3E just be what it is?

• Agree Agree x 2