New Racing Wheel

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bindaree Racing, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Bindaree Racing

Bindaree Racing Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    I am thinking of getting a new wheel to go along with my Playseat Challenge seat I just ordered and am hoping for some advice.

The ones within my budget I am looking at are:
    Thrustmaster TMX Force Feedback wheel for PC & Xbox one / Thrustmaster T150 for PC & PS3,PS4 - Both around $300AUD
    (Basically the same save for console compatibility and metal paddle shifters on the TMX)

Thrustmaster TMX.jpg thrustmaster t150.jpg

Logitech G920 Driving Force Wheel for Xbox one and PC - Around $400AUD (this one is really stretching my budget though)
    G920.jpg

My current wheel is a Logitech Momo I got for $50AUD second hand. It is a great wheel but a shift paddle has stopped working. And as it has been the only wheel I've ever had, the reviews I've seen online for these wheels don't help me compare to what I've got at the moment. (Like how much better is the FFB, game compatibility etc.) I know they will be a better wheel than what I've got, but are they worth the extra spend for a casual gamer like myself or do I stick to my Momo wheel for now until it goes completely kaput and then look at saving up for a dearer one in the future??

Any thoughts are appreciated.

***FYI. Do all of my sim racing through my PC atm.

2. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    Personally, I would choose one of the Thrustmasters. I believe the G920 is essentially an updated G27, which I have owned. It was a very good, reliable wheel (and it still my backup wheel) but it's main issue for me was the noise. Being gear driven, it rattles like a SoB when going over bumps, especially curbs. Loud enough to disturb my neighbours during late-night racing.

I upgraded to a T300 and am very happy with it. Belt driven so it is practically silent compared to the G27. I also think the overall FFB feels much better, and you can definitely feel more of the subtle effects that were unnoticeable on the G27. That said, I still use my G27 pedals because not only do they offer a clutch, but they are very sturdy and far superior to the basic pedals you get with Thrustmaster wheels. (I use the G27 h-box too since it's also good and makes spending £50 on a TM box completely unnecessary.)

I'm in the UK so have no idea what a T300 would go for down under. I have however heard good things from people using the TMX and T150. Never used them myself though so can't comment directly... I don't know if they would be an "upgrade" to the Momo or G920.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    I once had a T150 and that was a fine wheel for it price. I would go for that one.
    Or better, safe a bit longer and step up to a T300.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. MattYKee

MattYKee Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    If youre in Australia you can get the G29/G920 for $283 and $297 from MSY computers. They also have the best price for the shifter at $42.
    Could also try price matching Jbhifi or keep scanning staticice for the price to drop.

My vote would be for the TMX/T150 as they can be picked up for just $250aud. If youre spending over 300aud i think just go for a entry level t300(around $450 from https://cplonline.com.au/gaming-per...0605-t300-rs-racing-wheel-for-pc-ps3-ps4.html) and then save up for the T3PA attachments later. The logitech imho is way overpriced for what it is and what the competitors offer..

edit Thought i'd post this guys reviews he disassembles the wheels to show the inner workings of everything!

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  5. Bindaree Racing

Bindaree Racing Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Are they that loud??? That might rule that one out then. With getting the new seat aswell, I'm moving my setup inside next to our main bedroom, so I don't want it to be too noisy. (Happy Wife, Happy Life and all that.) I currently have my set up out in my garage (separate to the house itself) and call it lazy or just time poor, but I just don't get out there enough for my liking. I'm hoping by bringing it into the house with the easy fold away setup, it will get more use.

6. Bindaree Racing

Bindaree Racing Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Never seen this site before. Seems very handy.

7. Bindaree Racing

Bindaree Racing Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Have you seen a link for that price?? Or just wait till sales come up?? Just haven't seen any at that price. Best I could find is about $340-$360.

8. Eddie Ellis

Eddie Ellis Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Some people have had driver issues with the G920 that conflict with Race Room. Buy a T300 or save up for a Fanatec CSL Elite PS4.

9. fischhaltefolie

fischhaltefolie Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,037 / 0 / -0
    Any thoughts about a 2nd hand Fanatec clubsport wheelbase?
    Should be available at the moment, now lots of hobbyracers upgrading to a podium dd-base.

10. StepUnique

StepUnique Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    T150 user here. I really do enjoy the wheel, but the pedals are complete trash. They have very weak torsion spring inside that tend to get even weaker over time to the point, when the pedal presses itself into the pedal block.

Like really, look at that garbage:
    [​IMG]
    I solved this by putting compression springs inside, the pedals feel very good now, but this doesn't change the fact, that the overall quality of pedals is poor. Furthermore, the same can be said about T3PA pedals addon, which you can find in T150 Pro version. Same issues can be found with TMX and T300.

If you don't feel like wasting time on buying springs, you can either buy additional T3PA Pro pedals, or Fanatec Clubsport pedals with USB converter. Both of these solutions will put you into G29 price field. So my vote would be for G29, the pedals on that one are way better.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Been using a g29 for like 3 years or so and am still happy with it. But ive never tried anything else so that doesnt have to mean its great :D
    From what i hear the thrustmaster stuff has better ffb and isnt as loud but the pedals on the pics above look horrible to me, dont know how they feel obviously but they dont look very promising to me..
    Really cant give you much valuable info but maybe thisll still help if youre looking for many comments to then filter out a tendency :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. StepUnique

StepUnique Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    They feel as generic plastic toys when unmodded. Thrustmaster has the same pedals for T80 and T100, which speaks for itself.
    The springs I changed in them are the most durable parts at the moment. The wheel is fine though, not a single problem in one year.
    But I'd still prefer G29 in this situation for the build quality.

• Like Like x 1
  13. MattYKee

MattYKee Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Edit: A thought is youre coming from a MOMO which itself has pretty below average pedals. Im wondering if anyones compared the pedals on a MOMO wheel to that of the entry level thrustmaster?
    I was talking about the basic t150/tmx wheels that didnt come with the t3pa pedals. I cant find any from a Australian store right now though. Maybe all out of stock or cleared out? Only a few places have them right now but are charging $350 f or the basic model lol.

There is some onsale online at Amazon just be careful you dont buy the US version which isnt compatible with Australian 240v power.
    This is a good point, the Logitechs do have better pedals and build with 1 exception being the molex connector between the wheel and base. Some uses have found the wires at the connector can easily snap because the wire being is twisted when the wheel turns.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  14. Bindaree Racing

Bindaree Racing Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    The Momo pedals are pretty basic, so I think anything will be a step up in regards to pedals.

Do you have any issue with the dead zone in the steering??? This and the loudness is the only cons I am hearing from reading and viewing reviews online.

15. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    @Bindaree Racing

I've moved from a Logitech dfgt, to a g27, to a thrustmaster t300 over the years so may be able to help....

The dgft was a good entry level wheel, and was quieter than the g27. Pedals as stock were poor but I stuck a squash ball in behind them which improved the feel a lot.

G27, wheel is good, ffb in raceroom works well but not so much in other Sims. Minimum force gets rid of the dead zone mostly. Very noisy though. If playing in a shared room or near bedrooms then it's a no go. Pedals as stock are ok. Metal construction of the moving bits, brake pedal a bit soft but can be improved with stronger springs and rubber bumpers.

T300. Far superior ffb to the Logitech (once it's dialled in) stronger and quieter, more detail comes through the wheel. Pedals as stock are garbage, worst pedals I've ever seen (left them in the box)

The actual pedals I now use are a modified g27 set with load cell, custom arms and faces and custom mount.

No experience of the lower thrustmaster wheels. It's hard to say what is best as it depends on pricing in your region. G27/29 probably offers the best package on account of the pedals buy the t300 win on the wheel.

Perhaps consider 2nd hand?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +395 / 0 / -0
    Not really, certainly nothing that would bother me so if there is one its not very noticeable on my ffb settings or im just not very sensitive regarding that :D

17. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    That's exactly the same "progression" as me. :) I loved my DFGT, I don't think you could do better for the price back then. Initially I even preferred it to my G27 for some sims so would go back to it now and again.

If you do choose the Thrustmaster route Bindaree, you can see from the comments that it is worth keeping in mind that you will almost certainly need new pedals at some point. Despite the overall price, the TM pedals even for the T300 feel like cheap-arse budget crap you'd get with an entry-level £100 wheel. I've used them just once when I had an issue with my G27 pedals and could barely drive with the things. That's obviously very skewed because I was used to completely different (and modified) pedals and had no practice with the TMs, but I guarantee you'll be a better racer if you upgrade to some halfway decent pedals.

One option would be to keep an eye out for second-hand G25/G27 pedals, as their build quality means they often outlast the wheel itself so can be found cheap sometimes. People like me who have continued to use them with other wheels also often sell them cheap when they upgrade.

18. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    The dfgt was great (still got it in case backup is needed) from memory it didn't suffer so much from deadzone as only one motor. Was blown away with it at the time, g27 wasn't so much of an improvement, in fact at first I hated it. I did what you said and got a second hand set of g25 pedals to go with it and used a bodnar cable. Plenty of g27 pedals to be found on eBay and you can get replacement pots and bits for them from 3drap.

19. Bindaree Racing

Bindaree Racing Member

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys,
    Thanks so much for all the info. I unfortunately think the G29 is out as quietness is a big pro for me for where and when I'll have it set up and using it. And going by the responses here and reviews online I've seen, it can be quite noisy. Pity as I do like the look of that wheel and the RPM bar is an added bonus.

So it leaves Thrustmaster as my choice I think. I have found a T150 PRO which comes with a set of T3PA 3-pedal pedals for $354AUD delivered. I think this is a pretty good deal compared to what else I've seen online and in bricks and mortar stores. I'm just waiting to hear back on what warranty they offer. Decisions, decisions. :D:D

Cheers again guys.

20. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Sounds like a good choice. The t3pa pedals can even have a load cell added at a later date if funds allow.

• Like Like x 2