Racing against AI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alex Hodgkinson, Jul 11, 2018.

?

Which AI is the best to race against?

1. GTR3

9 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. WTCC 16/17

2 vote(s)
    5.6%
  3. DTM 15/16

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. GTO

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  5. Group 5

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  6. DTM 92

6 vote(s)
    16.7%
  7. Porsche Cup

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  8. BMW M235I Racing Cup

4 vote(s)
    11.1%
  9. FR-X-17

1 vote(s)
    2.8%
  10. Other

3 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. Nico Kunze

Nico Kunze Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +396 / 0 / -0
    Then ill use this thread to recap my latest ai experience because once again it was a bit strange and maybe something can be improved. Raced gt3s around spa at 113 strength. Qualified 7th out of 22 with a very good lap (for me :D) so pretty much exactly where id want the ai to be pace wise. However they were quite a bit slower than me in the race and i finished p2 just three tenths behind p1 after the 30 minute race despite rear ending someone and losing at least 5 seconds in the gravel and having a few big moments through eau rouge. The main thing that bothered me was how extreme the pace differences were between me and the ai in different parts of the track. From les combes to stavelot id lose like 2 seconds minimum and around the other half id easily gain that and a bit more back. Going through blanchimont 1 second behind somebody meant very easily getting past into turn 1. Speaking of which even when being far behind you could easily end up rear ending the ai when not being careful. Ill add a picture where i (red r8) ended up rear ending the ai when using my normal braking point. I know slow corners are the weakness of the ai but overall this was a strange race and unfortunately didnt feel too realistic

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Skidmark

Skidmark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +232 / 0 / -0
    Exactly the same experience for me with the FR90s and Porsche Carerra Cup cars. Spa is an extreme example of the AI's slowness in tight corners (La Source and the chicane at the end of the lap in particular) and then amazing quickness in the faster corners (especially Pouhon and the AI's exit from Stavelot).

It does sort of even out (sort of!) and I accept it and enjoy it for what it is, but it would be wonderful if it could be 'fixed'.

I think the real issue is the extreme 'tentativeness' and 'uncertainty' of the AI in tight corners, especially in traffic.

Still the best AI around in my view though...

• Agree Agree x 5
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  3. Loki-D

Loki-D Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Must admit I races the m2 and the f1x round hungary and the ai behaved nicely. OK there's some moments where like UK roads have to drive for other people, but Mainly happy with these combos.

Just to add I'm finding myself coming back to rr more and more the ai racing is fun even the funnest lol in all sim racing, I'll give s3 that.

Please get those 92 dtms fixed

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. richlevy2003

richlevy2003 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +87 / 0 / -0
    Been away from sim racing and raceroom for 4-5 months. 1st races yesterday using gt3 porsches. Lots of fun close racing at anthorp. AI fought me , pushed me but did not plow into me. They were faster in parts of the track, me in others.
    It was fun racing. I won't vote, it's been months and I'm not that familiar with the different classes anymore

• Like Like x 1