Opinions wanted about RRE physics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jbfan, Jun 5, 2019.

1. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    I would say the physics of all racing games is as real as it is possible on a consumer computer. Once you sat in a real race car on a lab around the Nordschleife, nothing will feel real after that experience again at home in your living room :). At home we don't have g-forces so 99% of the experience sitting in or drying a real race car is missing at home

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Heath

Heath Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    Fake cars will never feel like real ones! ( its a game!!!!!) All said and done nothing like the real thing...:D

3. Alex Hodgkinson

Alex Hodgkinson KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    At some point I'll write an article comparing driving on a track for real vs driving in a sim. It's something I've been toying with writing for some time based on my experiences. What it boils down to is the cues you use of which there are many in the real thing, and for the people who've done it for real will fill in the gaps the sim isn't giving them. For example if I pay attention I can feel myself tense up my core when I'm driving through fast turns in Raceroom as it's just a hard-coded reflex after years of the real thing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1
  4. David Peres

David Peres Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96 / 0 / -0
    It's not about becoming "'X' or like this or that", it's about getting closer and closer to the real thing, which is the entire purpose of simulations. And if devs are doing their job right, then it's only expected that all different sims will only get closer and closer to each other in terms of physics, since they're all attempting to simulate the same reality.

5. Alex Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Something like this would be possible yes, but I think the ideal solution would be something slightly different. I'd prefer we had an understeer/oversteer slider which would apply generic changes to affect the balance. RF1 had a system like that although I'm not sure it ever worked.

• Like Like x 2
  6. MattYKee

MattYKee Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    There was one in a very old F1 game. f1c 99-02 by EA sports or maybe it was the F12002, f12001 by them. Adjusting the sliders would make adjustments to the car setups which you could inspect on the advanced setup screen. It worked fine as far as i could tell. You could see the end results of the slider adjustments in the advanced setup screen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Alex Hodgkinson

Ratings:
    +1,948 / 0 / -0
    Yes I think you're right it was F1C!

8. Anthony Monteil

Anthony Monteil KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +1,199 / 0 / -0
    As far as I remember, rFactor and GTR2 got simplified setups aswell, with sliders, and I used them a lot. Would be nice to have it back in R3E ;)

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Is I am more a driver than an technician, I really hope, that I can tell my assistant, that the car is sliding front or rear or feel this or that and (S)HE does the correction in the setup.
    Same as: The race goes 35 minutes. Why do I have to fiddle with the litres in the setup? I don't think, that Hamilton or Schumacher went to his engineer and told him to fill 70 litres into the car :)

10. Arcson

Arcson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    But a little bit of a car management stuff makes things interesting.

My teammate once calculated the amount of fuel he needed for a league race and to his surprise it was not enough. He couldn't finish the last lap. It turned out that his average speed during the race was significantly higher than usual which of course made him burn more fuel. I know it may be kind of frustrating, but still interesting while I remember it well :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    A bit of both works well. Some people find setups very daunting while some enjoy that aspect. Regarding fuel, the current in game lap calculator is very generous, so you will always have fuel. I use crew chief to work out my fuel loads and then add a couple of laps to be safe. That works really well, I finished last night's spa2.4 with about 2.5laps left in the tank

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. GooseCreature

GooseCreature Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +670 / 0 / -0
    I do hope you will be writing this in your own time? :D
    There are DTM'92's and a whole host of others that need some of your pixie dust sprinkled over, asap; not to mention flat spots & damage etc etc, can you not dictate to another whilst sorting out the RR portfolio? Don't forget filling out some of these new & old classes that are a bit thin in competition, thinking about writing a book o_O I don't think so young man, we've tasted the nectar and want more, more I say, MOOOOOORRRRE! :confused:

Yep heat's getting to all of us (well, those that have it :p). I'd buy a book with your monika on anytime @Alex Hodgkinson but only after my garage has been upgraded. :p I own the lot by the way, so; chop, chop! :D

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    I'd say, R3E physics are as real as you can get. As for the real cars, the physics are not as real as they should be because will live in the Matrix.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    People say they want everything as real as possible. Let's start charging them to fix the car when they crash it then...... Would probably improve the driving standards online....

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. fl0wf1r3

fl0wf1r3 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    Jimmers conclusion :) great video, the sound :)
    min 24:20

16. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +475 / 0 / -0
    I see mentioned in a few posts the cars don't feel connected to the track. My experience is the opposite. R3E is the one that gives me the most fusion to the car and what it's doing on the track. The sims that are routinely rated more realistic (and i'm not saying they aren't) like RF2 and iRacing have me doing more guesswork as far as where the car is in relation to it's limits. I'll admit i need to play both more to really properly compare, but those were always my initial impressions - also it's been probably 3 years since i tried iRacing.

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. Sosruko

Sosruko Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    iRacing FFB is still atrocious and will keep you guessing. Love the hyperdetailed tracks though and dynamic weather is beautifully implemented.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Jetsun

Jetsun Active Member

Ratings:
    +42 / 0 / -0
    I for one would be really interested in reading your view on this.

19. John Brandow

John Brandow Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    My 2 cents. I drive a 140hp VW GTi in a race series here in the states. RR is the best to me in creating rotation through throttle and brake inputs. It is almost spot on to how I drive my car. My only issue so far is steering strength and I want to feel the tires side wall more. The amount of steering force needed throughout the turn in my race car is always changing. At initial turn in it can be quick and light but as the tires load up it cant get very strong. Undulations and track imperfections are felt through the wheel as flex in the side wall. Honestly no sim gets this right but RR seems a bit too linear to me if that make sense.

• Like Like x 1
  20. ravey1981

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Try adjusting ffb settings. Steering rack to 50 then experiment with vertical and lateral forces until you find something you like.

Edit: what wheel are you using?