News May 2019 - Developer notes

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by J-F Chardon, May 14, 2019.

1. Turtle Power

Turtle Power Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    I dont care because i understand it would require a whole new engine. Raceroom's solid driving experience would change as well as many other good things that took years to build. And if i wanted day night or rain.....pcars, assetto and other are already available. In summary, I love the way things are right now because I personally am all about driving experience.
    If Raceroom could introduce wheather system without affecting the current build.... I would be more than happy to raise my hands up and say YES.

But hey, I have no say regarding this matter...just my 2 cents ...it is up to Sector 3 at the end of the day.

• Agree Agree x 4
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  2. Haris1977

Haris1977 Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Οf course i totally agree with u in that. This is what i meant. Current build shouldn't be touched :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Bit like asking why sb prefers vanilla over chocolate ice cream but as I wholeheartedly agree with turtlepower, here's my pov.

For me weather effects fall into the nice-to-have-but-rarely-used show-of-tech category of features, similar to having a (virtual) safety car for example. It is nice to see any of the games you mentioned trying to simulate varying track conditions authentically and yes, it does add to the realism as racing in the wet is a thing in real life.

Yet when it comes to actually using the feature I've seen me and many others avoiding it more often than not. I'm not even sure why that is, but I think - at least to me - it poses an unnecessary hinderance. When it comes to (virtual) racing I want to explore the limit of a (virtual) machine that was built to have maximum performance on a dry surface. I want to race those race cars at their full potential, not spend most of my playing time trying to handle conditions.
    I can appreciate the added challenge of suboptimal conditions (or added realism of having a safety car) but to me it feels like I'm deliberately and unnecessarily limiting my experience by making the track conditions worse than they typically are in real life (or following a safety car for which there is no reason because every single reason for having a safety car irl doesn't exist in the virtual world).

Side note: I don't really dig the competition for the heaviest, nastiest weather that apparently sets in once developers have started to introduce weather effects. Driving race cars in thunderstorms or blizzards or on tracks that are basically one large puddle isn't realistic at all, every real life circuit race would have been canceled long before the weather and track conditions are anywhere near that hazardous.

• Agree Agree x 10
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2019
  4. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    Yeah that's it. My apologies if I wasn't clear enough.

5. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    WOW, well this is something that I would love to see in Raceroom SAFETY CAR! :D No joke I would love to

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. David_Wright

David_Wright Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Of course it can be done in a DX9 engine. GTR2 and RACE 07 had rain. GT Legends, GTR2, rFactor and AMS had night. Of course to match what we have in the best current graphics engines with a DX9 engine is another matter.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    What will take to get the weather system? Long time or it will bottleneck dx9?

8. Jona777

Jona777 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -0
    Jist dynamic time of day of will do.. ;)

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  9. anno900

anno900 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    For me as a 99,9% offline against the AI racer, I never used changeable weather even if just wind and temperature was edit-able at e.g. NASCAR 2003. Also at the Codemasters F1 series I always used standard conditions cause AI was either much too fast or slow at non standard conditions. And I always used standard setups, that AI uses as well in most games.
    But I can Imagine that in Multiplayer such Features would make things more interesting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Turtle Power

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    It would be interesting to see Multiplayer under snow or rain condition... just like in GTA5 :D

11. [weichenschleicher]

[weichenschleicher] Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I think a function to export/import/saving hotlap for trainingserver to websites would be nice. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. keanos

keanos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +136 / 0 / -0
    Hmmmm got really quiet during the last weeks. Wasn'tz there the plan to also release the M1 Gr.4 after the last patch?

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. MattYKee

MattYKee Active Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    i heard that they were on break the last couple of weeks and only just getting back into the swing of things.

14. totalgamertb21

totalgamertb21 Active Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    THEY WERE ON A BREAK!

• Funny Funny x 5
  15. SPC15

SPC15 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Completely agree,

16. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    Just to confirm, I'm back in Sweden indeed. I'll try and publish some dev notes next week focusing on features, and expect as well some content announcements, one of them is to go out this weekend I believe :)

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  17. Olaf Hülse

Olaf Hülse Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +505 / 0 / -0
    So no sleep for me this weekend ;)...
    Mr Bean Sleep.png

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Bart Hendrikx

Bart Hendrikx Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    did i mis it?:eek:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Olaf Hülse

Olaf Hülse Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +505 / 0 / -0
    I don't think so, unless S3 has installed a Spam Filter for important announcements :D
    They'll need a bit of time...The post will come...Soon!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Rmbonk86

Rmbonk86 Active Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    I agree with that too. Time of day change is fun to experience.

• Like Like x 1