Getting started

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kenneth Kamstrup, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Kenneth Kamstrup

Kenneth Kamstrup Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    So.... How do I get started with R3E?

I've been driving around using iRacing, but i feel lige R3E is more my style. But how do I get started?! Maybe I'm just used to iRacing but I think the leagues and progression with licenses and rating made sense. Now I'm here. But what do I do? Drive against AI? Join random MP lobbies? I've downloaded SRS and it's up and running but there isn't a race until in 4 hours? Do I buy more content and then SRS registers new and available leagues? What do you guys do and how did you get started? Haven't been able to find a topic on this issue.

Thanks.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to raceroom. Well everyone has different requirements and available time so there isn't a one answer fits all.

I spend most of my time against AI as I can't commit to regular organised racing due to time constraints. The AI is pretty good and while not perfect you can definitely have fun against them.

Open lobby racing is generally, in my experience, poor. People can't seem to behave themselves and there's a very wide spread of skill level online.

The best multiplayer is found through league racing, there are several groups on here or look at race-department, they run regular races in raceroom.

Haven't tried SRS so I can't comment on that.

Regarding buying content, it's much cheaper in the long run if you buy cars/tracks in bulk through one of the packs in store. However you can spend as little as you want, if your interest lies only in a certain type of cars then there is no need to buy everything.

The regular special events are well supported, the next one being GT3 2hours at suzuka.

Hopefully in the future there will be a more structured online system but as it stands there's still plenty to keep you entertained.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Just to complement what ravey said, check out the leagues section, there's some very well organised and friendly communities gathered here: https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?forums/leagues-communities.70/

Note that there is no scheduled mp system like in iracing yet. However, the devs have expressed their intention to introduce sth in that direction, including a driver ranking system. Being testers we can't share details about work in progress, but I can ensure that they are actually working on making that happen, tho it will take more time.

Regarding purchases, in case you're not aware of this already, there's http://raceroomstore.com which is the official Raceroom shop for hardware and so on. But you can also buy vRP (the in-game currency) there at a bulk discount. F.e. you can get 10.000 vRP for 65 $/€ which would buy you the premium pack for 65 instead of 100 bucks.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Kenneth Kamstrup

Kenneth Kamstrup Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the answers, guys. It was very helpful! And I bought 10.000 vrp, because... why not?

See you trackside.

• Like Like x 6
  5. yoori

yoori Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +103 / 0 / -0
    You can also visit raceapp.eu a lot of leagues and communities use it so you can browse in search of races and series you might want to participate.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Olaf Hülse

Olaf Hülse Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +505 / 0 / -0
    Adding to Ravey's sum-up:
    If you're very new to R3E, I recommend you to not buy the premium pack yet. I've started with the Starter Pack: It gives you a good variety of car classes and tracks that are commonly used in MP racing. With these cars and tracks, It's easier to find MP sessions and drivers who drive a bit cleaner (as they've paid some money to play, some just didn't invest anything- a shame, if you ask me. You should support the guys giving you cars, tracks and servers!). If you're not league racing (I'm also not in it-yet), best times to play MP is in the evening on every day and on weekends.
    I sometimes drive in the open MP lobbies with free content just to see the fairness level. In the last months, there seems to be a shift to more mature driving styles, so you can try that too (Or I was just lucky).
    I also suggest to install CrewChief (If you haven't done that already) and the Custom WebDash by R3E.
    Experiment with the AI strengh a bit, don't start on Adaptive Ai as this might cause frustration in the first few sessions ;).

Welcome to this forum! It's the best way to share everything about R3E, get support, get news about the game and know when Brands Hatch GP is going to be implemented ;)

Greetings

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Bauer

Bauer Active Member

Ratings:
    +33 / 0 / -0
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. FeltHλt

FeltHλt Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Jorgen Wahlby

Jorgen Wahlby Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +69 / 0 / -0
    I had nearly 5 years of iRacing under my belt and went to R3E (Race Room Racing Experience) 1,5 years ago so I know exactly how you feel and the questions you might have with the switch. Depending on how advanced you are in simracing (Skill level, racing equipment, and time) I will post a few links and som general tips to get started that you can choose from.

Triple screen setup: https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/how-to-setup-triple-screens.9711/
    FBB in general: https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/ffb-guide.55/ (FFB advice on what might work for you)
    CrewChief Plugin - App: http://thecrewchief.org/ (A must have for the serious simracer)
    RaceApp: https://raceapp.eu/rrvln#/Driver (You need to register here to be able to join some leagues)
    SRS: http://www.simracingsystem.com/ (Third party app for pickup racing in league form)

Take your time and it will fall in to place as you get familiarized with R3E and all it's "quirks" ;). It is a little different in how and what to expect from the car when your on the limit, but you have that difference in all games/sims. Some things will fall in to place quickly other things will have to be "re-learned or forgotten" for it to work in R3E. Behaviour is not as refined or mature on the public servers from some of the drivers, and you'll see a lot more fake names and newbees but besides that it's ok. (You'll learn which servers = Free content where the driver standard is lesser) Join a league and you will find it awarding sooner. SRS is okey for pickup races.
    Welcome and hope you'll find enyojment here in raceroom :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  11. RWB Charger

RWB Charger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +99 / 0 / -0
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Kenneth Kamstrup

Kenneth Kamstrup Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    This is excellent, guys! Thanks a lot!

• Like Like x 3
  13. Zeraxx

Zeraxx Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    Your in good hands with Charger, RWB is a great group of lads!

• Like Like x 1