Thoughts on new physics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SunnySunday, Feb 10, 2019.

1. MattStone

MattStone Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    I run a music school and one of the first things I teach my teachers is that a student will only learn/practise what THEY feel THEY need to learn to enjoy their instrument. The same principle applies to everything in life.

You can’t know what you don’t know; you won’t learn what you don’t fell you need to learn

Do I want to spend hours learning all about setups and testing so I can race the ai at 115 strength or am I happy to run defaults setups and still have a shit load of fun racing the ai at 100 strength!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
  2. anno900

anno900 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Fully agree with the last sentence...

3. Not Lifting Off

Not Lifting Off Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 0 / -0
    Maybe if your not encouraging your teachers to encourage and push your students then a student will only learn what they feel they need to learn, it is up to you as a teacher to encourage and nurture your students, if you were teaching my child i would be dissapointed if your attitude to it was they dont want to learn it so dont bother teaching it. They WILL learn what you actively encourage and promote from your guidance and knowledge, as a teacher you have a responsibillity to push, promote and encourage not back off because a young mind dosnt feel the need to learn. It may only be a musical instrument but the same principles apply in life!

4. Paul Darke

Paul Darke Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +249 / 0 / -0
    @Not Lifting Off We are talking about a game here not life. As adults, mostly, we choose what we want to learn.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    I guess it depends on the "young mind".

Pushing people to learn what they don't want to learn and/or what they don't want to learn rarely works as intended. In fact, in quite a few cases, I'd say it does the exact opposite of what was intended - it is a great way to make someone hate something for the rest of their life.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    Firstly let me say I didn't say it was the only thing that I teach my teachers, just one of the first things ;)

That is an obvious given expectation for any teacher right?
    My point is this: Part of the "encourage" in your statement includes demonstrating the benefits of learning/practising the task so that the student takes on the personal desire to practise the task. This way you don't have to "push" so hard; they will just do it as they take on the goal personally, that is when the magic starts to happen. The amount of "push" you can apply is directly related to the amount of benefit the student feels they will receive.

Teacher says "I don't understand why my student isn't achieving the goals I set them", my response is "..that's because it's not your students goal". By encouraging, nurturing, demonstrating the benefits of practising assigned tasks and relating that to the type of music they want to learn they will feel they need to learn what you are teaching them and personally take on the goals you are setting them.

But ultimately if a student comes to you wanting to learn heavy metal and all you teach them is country & western it doesn't matter how hard you pusha and encourage; they will just quit or find another teacher because that's not what they want to learn.

7. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    ..and that’s what we call setting up a differential lesson plan and not use a page by page cookie cutter lesson book. Every student is an individual

8. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I wonder if there's any way to use this to our advantage...How can we nurture your guys' desire to stay on topic? ^^

Just kidding, it's an interesting direction this discussion has taken (especially for sb who's tutoring maths) but if you feel this requires further discussion, please consider creating a thread in off-topic or starting a private group conversation.

9. MattStone

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    @Christian Göpfert
    ...or you can just give them a clip across the ears and tell them straight up front what they must do :D

Apologies for sliding off topic so back on the topic "Thoughts on new physics"

I feel the new physics that R3E are implementing on their cars offer a new depth and with the essential tuning items they provide enable you to explore that depth BUT for those that want to just have some fun racing; the new defaults setups R3E are providing enable a player to just jump right in.

The grip level is spot on in my opinion; plenty of grip if you don't overdrive the car but punishing if you do but never ever really feeling like you are driving on ice like in some other sims.

I particularly love the latest releases and WTCR 2019 is my current favorite; I love the challenge of learning how these cars behave and react as you shift the weight around and then adjusting setups to squeeze another 10th or two out of my lap time.

But on days when I just can't be bothered and just want to have fun I'm totally content the GT3's with default setups for some quick exhilarating fun.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jukka Karppinen

Jukka Karppinen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +137 / 0 / -0
    "New" physics are best thing ever happened to R3E since release. It's getting better and better with every update. Really looking forward to my favourite car have update, hopefully soon. Meanwhile i'll keep on watching this:

• Like Like x 3
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
  11. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    I agree with the comments on the TCR. At first I didn't get on with them and found them to be not much fun to drive if I'm honest, but with the latest physics patch and a bit of time invested I'm absolutely loving them. A bit like the Porsche 934, you have to really learn them and once you get it they just keep giving. Keeping the rear end light around a fast bend with a balanced throttle is just a joy!

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Zeraxx

Zeraxx Active Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    As someone who is new to this sim, I must say I'm very pleasantly surprised by the physics of the game, I'm finding it hard to not have a smile from ear to ear when driving the 2015 DTM cars!

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. Jukka Karppinen

Jukka Karppinen Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +137 / 0 / -0
    Alright, now i really can't wait to GR5 cars have latest physics. INSANE car.

• Like Like x 1
    • Wonderful Wonderful x 1