Resolved Low FPS

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by 2ndLastJedi, Aug 23, 2019.

1. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Ive been busy and haven't played R3E in a while and tonight i had time and felt like some DTM action but was greeted with a CPU bottleneck that has never happened before with everything the same .
    Do i have Win 10 to thank for my performance hit or have others noticed R3E using more CPU than before ?
    PC in sig ,4k max settings , here are my cores/threads while stutter happened . Core 6 (thread 2??) is maxing out .

Attached Files:

2. ravey1981

ravey1981 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +873 / 0 / -0
    Seems odd. Did you disable background apps etc to rule those out? I had some weird FPS issues last week. Updated my gpu driver (Nvidia) and did a restart and was all back to normal. Not sure that would explain your cpu issues though, I'm no hardware expert....

• Like Like x 1
  3. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Yeah just essentials running , this was also with Task Manager set R3E to High priority . Im not updating nVidia drivers anymore until its a must do install . 430.86 is mine till the end .

4. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    So what was your fps, and what it used to be before? This might be perfectly fine/expected.

5. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    I have 4k all maxed settings and used to get solid 60fps with GPU around 70-80% with vsync on. No sign of CPU bottleneck and now I'm getting 50fps in sections with core (thread) 6 maxing out where I used to just cruise at 60fps no worries.

I'd say that it's not to be expected or perfectly fine. Something has definitely changed for the worse. It seems if something goes wrong it always affects R3E and no other Sims or games even as ive tried a whole heap of games over the last week and all are running fine!

6. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    are you running any other stuff with it ? hud elements tweaks , any addons etc?

Andi

7. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    No mate, nothing running other than PC essentials and no hud at all. It's just R3E as ive always played it but now I need to lower settings I guess :( I tried 32 bit but that had 45-50fps! Even worse!

8. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    @2ndLastJedi Fair enough. It's just that you really can't judge CPU bottlenecks based on CPU core usage, as we've discussed many times in various threads. But if you see a drop of 10 fps, then obviously something has changed.

9. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    If I go back and check this video I made in January this year I can see CPU usage has changed massively! Core 6 is cruising as are all of them.

If I get a chance I will make a new video with usage as it is now but you can see the usage and infer from my OP usage in graphs to the video.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  10. Sebastien Brunier

Sebastien Brunier Active Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Tip: in MSI AfterBurner go in settings/monitoring/<select your GPU infos>/Graph Limits/Override group name if you activate override group name and set %GPU% %Driver% in the field your OSD will display GTX 1080ti 436.02 (e.g.)
    Every Monitoring info set with the same name will be groupped again ofc.
    Seems like nothing but then you're not loosing track of driver versions used at any given video capture.

upload_2019-8-27_9-49-13.png

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    If you look at my video you can see I've done the grouping and naming thing but not added the driver name as I don't update drivers very often.

12. Sebastien Brunier

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    I saw that ;) but driver version is very relevant for FPS issues / GPU usage, it was just a tip

• Like Like x 1
  13. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    I'm still on the same driver for a while now, cpu usage changed I'm thinking after the last Win 10 update I guess.

14. Sebastien Brunier

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    yeah latest Microsoft patch tuesday brought few glitches, like RTS no longer working with RRRE64.exe (nearly drove me mad back from holidays :D) it was working absolutely fine at same RTS version, same Nvidia driver version just before...

15. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    RTS as in Rivatuner statistics? It's working here.

16. Sebastien Brunier

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, makes RaceRoom x64 hang in VR, not even starting, splash screen, starts Oculus then crash. Only workarround was to disable application detection level in RivaTunerStatistics. Was working before Windows Update... (but used to hang as well a long time ago, so with RTS not the most reliable experience...)
    upload_2019-8-27_11-22-21.png

17. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    I wonder if that's my issue also them? I will have to try with it off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Yes, but again, watching/monitoring usage of individual cores is virtually pointless, it doesn't really tell you anything, contrary to what many people seem to believe. The actual CPU usage by the game in the video and in your current image might very well be exactly the same. The fact you don't see a single core being utilized fully in that video doesn't mean the game's threads are not at maximum (or close to maximum) CPU utilization - they might've simply be "jumping cores" so fast that it didn't register as close to 100 % utilization at any core due to the fact the monitor is lagging significantly and basically "averaging out" the core usage.

All your current image may mean is that your OS was scheduling threads differently than it was in the video, and there's multitude of reasons why that might've happened with many of them being perfectly fine - like, for example, the fact the scheduler might've simply been tweaked in some way, which results in seemingly very different behavior when monitoring purely core CPU usage, but the actual performance impact you think you see might not be there at all (meaning the fps drop is completely unrelated to this).

What I'm trying to say is don't get too fixated on the difference in core usage you think you are seeing comparing before and now, you might be focusing on a wrong thing here and the reason for your performance drop might be completely different. (And I honestly wouldn't even say CPU usage has changed all that drastically overall, watching the video and looking at the current image - again, it mostly seems it's just distributed differently.)

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2019
  19. 2ndLastJedi

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Im stoked and a little embarrassed ! I fixed my problem but it was entirely user error :rolleyes:
    I always use v sync so today took v sync off and went to RTSS to remove my 60 fps cap only to see i had -30 in the scan-line option from when i was trying this out the other week and forgot to remove it (weird how this only effected R3E). Any way when i put a zero in the there and went back to R3E i maxed everything out again and went to track only to find i am getting 90 fps maxed it 4k ! So i put my 60 fps cap (RTSS) and v sync back on and its incredibly smooth locked at 60 with a 16.7ms smooth graph again !
    Thanks for the help though :)

SOLVED :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  20. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    (If you're using vsync, find out your exact decimal refresh rate and use framerate cap that's 0.01 fps below your refresh rate. You will not lose any other vsync advantages, but you'll get lower input lag, almost at the level of vsync off input lag.)