Bug downshift gear grind with clutch pressed

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by PeterJoostens, Sep 1, 2019.

1. PeterJoostens

PeterJoostens New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I dont know if this is a known bug or not but as the title suggests im having trouble with the down shifts

when i do a down shift and i hold the clutch pressed i hear a grinding noise from the gear box
    the problem only occurs when (for example) im driving 100 Km/ph and down shift in to second while braking for a corner, if i slow down to 50 Km/ph before doing the downshift, there is no noise because the speed is low enough for the RPMs to match the second gear
    it only happens when driving h pattern cars with manual clutch

i have tried it with other driving simulators and also tested it with a car IRL, so far i only had this issue in raceroom, it has been bothering me for a while now and I hope it will get fixed

Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  2. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    You still need to blip the throttle to match the revs, even with clutch. Race cars generally don't have synchromesh gears in the transmission, unlike street cars, so without rev matching, the gear won't engage.

The current transmission model in Raceroom is pretty punishing in this regard (as it should be), unlike in some other sims where you can often get away with quite a lot.

3. PeterJoostens

PeterJoostens New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    so i was wrong, i definitely agree raceroom should be realistic and punishing, put me in the bin please

4. PeterJoostens

PeterJoostens New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    after some research, it seems that the porsche 964 uses synchro mech, i found "steel synchronises matched together with a lightweight flywheel and sports clutch" on this tech spec from a 964 for sale
    http://www.theoctanecollection.com/cars/porsche-964-carrera-cup-for-sale/
    i am not a expert on race cars but if i simulate reality i want to at least know and understand what i am doing
    so far i have found very little reading material on any race cars with out synchro mech at all, also it doesnt make sense to me why a race car would not have synchro mech