VR Performance Tweaks & Tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thomas Jansen, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Boremar

Boremar Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    My monitor mirror of the game is not working. Just black. It was working for fine for a couple of months and just stopped. I am not sure what happened or how to enable it again. Can somebody point me in the right direction? I am using an Oculus Rift with opencomposite. I don't remember having to do something to mirror. It just worked, which is why I am not sure how to enable it again. The mirror is still working in Beat Saber.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2019
  2. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +562 / 0 / -0
    There is a keybind you can set to turn it on and off, most likely it just turned off :p

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Boremar

Boremar Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    LOL, thanks.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. HoiHman

HoiHman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +142 / 0 / -0
    @Thomas Jansen

Thomas, with a 9700k i get a heavenbenchmark score just shy of 9000. I posted my score in the DX9 CPU benchmark topic.

I have followed most of your settings and with 120% supersampling i have a steady 90fps in raceroom with 30 AI. (even at the start)

Obviously with a 2080Ti i'm CPU limited in R3E. I have a max load CPU load of around 38% but at the same time a frametime of 10-11 ms / GPU frame time is 0,7 ms.

My questions are :
    A: Is it normal that the max load of the CPU is so low while at the same time the frame time is 11 ms? Shouldn't the CPU load be much higher?
    B: Are there any settings i can increase to have extra load on the GPU only?

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
  5. Thomas Jansen

Ratings:
    +562 / 0 / -0
    R3E only uses a couple of cores, so it will never use 100% of the CPU

antialiasing and supersampling generally only tax the GPU, the problem in raceroom is that the CPU and GPU don't really work in parallel, so any load you add will add up in the frametimes, no matter if it taxes the CPU or GPU

6. HoiHman

HoiHman Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +142 / 0 / -0
    Thanks Thomas

7. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    After months of using OpenOVR I've fired R3E yesterday up with SteamVR. And I was really impressed. Graphics seems to be a little bit better and performancewise I don't have seen any negative impact there. I could ramp up the SS from 1,5 to 1,6 with the same FPS. Not huge, but a slight improvement I think.

8. Thomas Jansen

Ratings:
    +562 / 0 / -0
    1.5x oculus SS is the same as 2.25x SteamVR SS, so that might be why :p Could be that valve actually improved the software now that the index is out though, who knows.

9. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Oups!! I didn't know that.
    So I will try again this evening.
    It's doubtful, that it has the same performance with SS 225 % in SteamVR I think.

What is funny: It looked a bit sharper than before :\ OK, or I have to clean my eyes and try again.

Is it possible to explain, why there are such differences in the SS Oculus/Steam or do you know a side, where I can read about that?

10. Thomas Jansen

Ratings:
    +562 / 0 / -0
    It's just the way they report it, with oculus you get 1.5x the pixels in both the width and height, while steamVR multiplies the total amount of pixels. You can see it in the oculus overlay, if you set it to some value in SteamVR, it will show the square root of it in the overlay.

• Like Like x 1
  11. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    OK. Thanks, I understand.
    I will try and report later.

12. Thomas Jansen

Ratings:
    +562 / 0 / -0
    That's what the numbers say anyway, I do think an equivalent SteamVR SS value is actually more than oculus somehow, probably some trickery going on :p

13. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Yes, it looks a bit crisper with steamvr, but it is sometimes jaggy.
    Back to OpenOVR, because of a league race now.

14. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Awaiting a HP Reverb in the next days and hoping for a tip for my batch files regarding "ASW off" on Raceroom start and processor priority for the SteamVR and/or WMR processes.

Has someone a hint?

@Sebastien Brunier hopefully :)

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Sebastien Brunier

Sebastien Brunier Active Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    @FormelLMS HP Reverb isn't using Oculus tools at all and I'm not even sure it uses Steam VR, so I can't tell how to achieve it unfortunately as I haven't ever used WMR.

16. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    OK, so I have to try it out. :)

17. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    Lately I'm having performance issues in VR. I'm using @Thomas Jansen's guide and recommended settings just like before, but FPS drops into the 45-60 range regularly with a ~20 car field both in SP and MP. I'm using fpsVR to measure hardware usage and I see these regular "spikes" on the CPU when the frametime jumps above 12 ms. It's hard to tell the cause, but I'm suspecting it must be SteamVR, because the issues started at the time when 1.7 got out of beta phase.

Edit: Ah, I found out what the problem was. A few weeks ago, I disabled motion smoothing in SteamVR after reading a lengthy discussion about how it doesn't do anything useful. Well, turns out it makes a huge difference in RR. Even if FPS drops to around 60 FPS, the picture still looks smooth and I haven't noticed any delay in the motion to be honest.

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  18. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    awesome! VR experience improves a lot with these DLLs.

But, no sound from my headset, only the PC speakers.
    How can I fix this issue?
    Thanks.

19. OlivierMDVY

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Edit: Workaround is to manually modify the sound output in W10

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. OlivierMDVY

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    By the way, does someone continue the project or is it a dead project?