Simracing E-Sports - Opinion Poll

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HomieFFM, Sep 15, 2019.

Tags:
?

Do you like/follow Simracing E-Sports?

1. Yes - I follow a lot of races

13 vote(s)
    17.1%
  2. Neutral - sometimes, but not actively

30 vote(s)
    39.5%
  3. No - I don't care at all

33 vote(s)
    43.4%
  1. Corentin Pointeau

Corentin Pointeau Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Well, I have read all messages and I quite bit surprised.
    I am a regular actor of Esport event and this is very cool. People involved in a team are aliens but i think they work very hard.
    You don't know but participate at these races is very demanding. We have a lot stress and adrenaline.
    It's true that some players don't play the game and try some very dangerous overtakes or other. But it is a minority..
    According the Raceroom staff, they do a very good work for this small studio. Streams are pleasant to see
    For me Esport is indispensable for a sim racing game, and I don't understand why many people hate Esport because all innovations were implant in the whole game

I think we need some improvements in the game for sim racing, such as manual start, wet races, or more damage but actually I really like this game and the studio seems to be active to have many innovations.

• Like Like x 2
  2. CheerfullyInsane

CheerfullyInsane Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402 / 0 / -0
    I think you're missing a fairly important point.
    The question wasn't whether the participants were enjoying themselves. ;)

I don't have a problem with eSports as such.
    Personally, I think it's a little silly that people take what is basically video-game entertainment so seriously. In the same way I find it ludicrous that people are getting paid millions to kick a ball around on a soccer-field. But that's just me, and the world is plenty big enough for people with other opinions.

Nor do I mind if patches are being moved to accommodate tournaments. I'm plenty happy with what I got already, anything else is just a bonus that we'll get to when we get to it.
    Same thing with the brand tournaments. If doing a Mercedes or electric car tourney is what pays for further improvements to the rest of the game, I say bring it on. I have no plans to ever participate in them, but neither does their existence cost me anything.

My issue (if you can even call it that) with eSports is actually pretty simple.
    I'm nowhere near fast enough to participate in the events.
    And I'm fine with that. I race for fun, and I have no desire to put in the hours and hours of practice needed to participate on a pro level. But it does mean that eSport sim-racing will have to be a spectator sport for me.
    And sim-racing isn't a very good spectator-sport.
    As someone else mentioned earlier, there's no real way to convey how hard it actually is to get a simulated car to go this fast.
    Even when there are camera-shots of the live event, all you're seeing is a bunch of guys in their early twenties sitting in their respective cockpits.
    And this isn't a critique of the events, it's just the nature of the sport.
    Think of professional chess. It is brutally hard to play at that level, but I'd rather put a blowtorch to my scrotum than watch a live game.

Then there are the participants themselves.
    Again, I have nothing personally against any of them, and I'm sure they are very good at what they do.
    But I don't know any of them. Every so often I see their names pop up when there's an event, but that's about it.
    I can't even root for a particular brand, since everybody changes cars according to the track.
    I actually find it more exciting to watch a league race from either ESR or RD simply because I know most of these guys, be it from forums or having raced against them.
    But the pro sim-racing field?
    It's a bunch of young men, none of whom I know.
    So I can either pick a random one to root for, or I can go have fun in single-player R3E.
    I usually pick the latter.

eSports are here to stay. And I'm fine with that.
    If it also means S3 gets some publicity and income, or is able to make some new contacts in the irl racing-world, so much the better.
    But there's is just nothing that even remotely triggers my excitement-meter.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
  3. Vantskruv

Vantskruv Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I think it is more important to have fun racing with each other, then looking at others having fun racing each other. :D

Though, if a friend would be in a race, and I couldn't, it would be fun to watch. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Although I've voted "neutral" I think having e-sports is worthwhile for a variety of reasons.

My concern with (parts of) this debate is that the main motive for dismissing e-sports seems to be that it interferes with patch or feature releases on occasion. As a tester this is worrying to me because over the years there have been several situations where my work and feedback has had the exact same effect of updates or features being postponed. Please think twice before making any rushed decisions when it comes to getting rid of everything (or everyone?) that interferes with release schedules. :p

Jokes aside, I think both statements (J-F's and Robert's) have led to some misconceptions about how things work around here. During my time here I've seen all sorts of reasons for why something that had already gone through main development had to be held or sent back, icluding last minute tester feedback. There is nothing extraordinary about this, it happens in any development or production environment all the time for all sorts of reasons. The only difference is that we try to be as open as we can about the things going on in the background and I think this is the preferable way to communicate.

Last weeks finale of the GT Masters Esports championship was a prime example of how exciting and entertaining esport simracing can be even on a limited budget, if executed right. Sadly there was only German commentary, but that's about the only drawback I can find in this event. It was the best entertainment I could have had at that evening and I thank @Robert Wiesenmüller , @Thomas Bienert and everyone else involved in making these events happen.

In case you haven't watched it already and have nothing better to do on some evening, here's the recording:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019
  5. n01sname

n01sname Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +956 / 0 / -0
    According to this there is nothing better than to ride with my pals from Virtualracing at the VRTM League for example. I know them for years now, know their driving style and approach with superfair and clean racing, no ego-battles and (hidden) animosities whatsoever, we help out each other with tipps, hints, setups because we know there are no Gridgirls waiting for us, no expensive trophies or prizes are there to gain, no real cockpit experience to win , no starcult coming up, no commercial aspects, just respect and nevertheless a professional approach for all to enjoy togetherness within our passion. In other words: I'm a dedicated Community Racer and wouldn't want it any other way....and with our top commentators I enjoy every stream afterwards...
    So e-sport ? Well, I don't care much but you're all free to do whatever pleases you ;)

• Love it! Love it! x 1