Problem Mega stuttering!

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Tuborg, Mar 15, 2019.

1. suspectmonkey

suspectmonkey New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Just as a bit of a follow up, I finally got around to running a few longer sessions with the 64bit exe and RTSS 7.2.2 and the "slideshow" issue hasn't occurred again. I'd be happy enough to switch back to using 64bit full-time!

Haven't had a chance to compare FPS between the two to see if it makes a difference, but I was still seeing some occasional stutters that I didn't see before and it still feels like my GPU is working harder than before as well. Further investigation required ;)

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Have people removed and installed a clean Driver using DDU and made sure that is removing PhysX ? My DDU wasn't removing PhysX !

3. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +156 / 0 / -0
    Only reason I asked is because my problem kept occurring even after I reinstalled and broke Win 10 4 times.Win 10 kept installing really old drivers first and I'd use DDU to remove it and install the latest but something kept corrupting it and I realized DDU wasn't set to remove Physx, once I did that my PC runs R3E perfectly AGAIN!
    Fingers crossed anyway ;)

4. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    Has anything changed for you guys who experienced this issue (with the 64bit exe)? Lately Nvidia discovered some bug in their drivers that increased the CPU load and it made me wonder if this could have been the cause here after all. If anybody of you is on those very latest drivers and is willing to give it another shot, let us know if that hotfix changed anything for you.

5. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Just for the record, DWM.exe is the Desktop Windows Manager. As in the process that is responsible for drawing everything that's on your screen when running Windows (which is also why messing with its priority, *especially* if you don't know what you're doing, is a really bad idea).

It is not "a problem maker" unless there's something seriously wrong with your setup, and even in those cases problems with DWM.exe generally tend to be a result of some other issue, not a cause of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 4, 2019
  6. fufsgfen

fufsgfen Active Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0
    I got issue with 64bit.exe even using Win8.1 and 416.34 Nvidia driver, HWinfo on 2nd monitor is not registering more than 40-50% of max/thread so probably something else than GPU driver in my case at least.

GPU load decreases slightly when issue happens, but can't really see much difference in CPU wattage, temp or max/thread numbers.

32bit version works just fine.

For reference, full specs and stuff.
    i7-8086K stock clocks
    Corsair H100i Pro water cooling thing
    Asus rog strix z370-G gaming (120mm fan at medium to high speed for VRM cooling, z370 mb thing)
    16GB 2666Mhz DDR4
    Nvidia GTX 1080 (Gigabyte Windforce OC) driver 416.34
    Roccat Juke 7.1 USB soundcard, set to 7.1 mode with output to 2CH headphones, windows and game is set to 7.1 too.
    Thrustmaster T150 wheel (Updated driver about two weeks ago, sadly can't see version right now as wheel is not plugged in)
    Windows 8.1 as I just don't like automated changes to system, so everything auto is set to manual or disabled, so should not be any background tasks running either.

Maybe something same can be found or maybe it can be found that nothing is common between systems experiencing the issue, either way might help to path that leads to solution.

7. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -0
    Simply do a search on the net and you will see lots of problems in co-operation withthis process file.
    But I don't want to start a yes/ no fight here so I will stop replying on this subject..

8. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Yes, and the vast majority of them are not *caused* by that process, it's simply a symptom of some other issue.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Neawoulf

Neawoulf Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0
    Btw. what ever that last patch did: It fixed the issue for me. After the patch before (the one with the Group C cars and the Porsche 964) it was basically unplayable for me. I deleted my config files, reinstalled the whole game, deleted and reinstalled my GPU drivers ... nothing helped. New patch (with the 90s F1 cars) now: Everything's fine again, at least on my system.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  10. Leo Valentino

Leo Valentino New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Just FYI,
    I have the same issue, and have tried everything in this thread. Still same problem, however I have a monkey wrench to throw in here! (Yay me!)

System Specs:
    AMD Ryzen 5 2600X (stock)
    32GB Patriot 3200 DDR4 @ 2933 (tried @ 3200, & 3333 no difference)
    512 GB Crucial MX500 SSD x 2 (Games Drive)
    Adata XPG SX8200 480 GB NVME (System Drive)
    Gigabyte Windforce RX Vega 56 (connected to LG 29 WK500 )
    MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC (mainboard)

Thrustmaster TX Base
    Thrustmaster T3PA-Pro pedals
    Thrustmaster TH8A

normal mechanical keyboard, weird mouse but drivers were uninstalled to confirm they were not the issue.

I have no monitoring software installed (fresh copy of win 10 1903), except the radeon adrenaline suite. All drivers are up to date, all firmwares are up to date, even switched 64-bit r3e to high priority. Switched hypertreading (logical cores) off, changed memory timing to be more lax, no running apps in background except steam and LG gaming software (mouse).

Tried both 32 and 64 bit r3e, results were the same.

Iracing, RF2, AC, ACC, & PCars2 all work without a hitch.

Oh yeah,
    [​IMG]

11. Leo Valentino

Leo Valentino New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Also, just incase you guys are still monitoring this thread.
    Are you by chance running with 21:9 screens?

I had a dumb idea (I'm running 21:9), and I set my resolution to 16:9 and turned on GPU scaling in adrenaline. I only ran 6 laps of spa, however I didn't notice stuttering. This could be due to the fact that I was pulling 200 FPS, or because it was stretched so horribly that I couldn't tell the difference between screen tearing or stuttering.
    Just a thought. I'll try to run 16:9 without GPU scaling and see if it makes it easier to tell a difference when I get home tonight.

12. Leo Valentino

Leo Valentino New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yeah no, running 16:9 didn't do anything but raise FPS. Was worth a shot at least.

13. Sebastien Brunier

Sebastien Brunier Active Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    @Leo Valentino I don't know what your monitor refresh rate is, but I would suggest to set a frame limiter in RivaTunerStatistics at this frame rate (60,75,100,120,144,240)
    I've noticed the game engine could suffer from very high fps (>200fps) and I had stutter as well (last time I tested it in 2D it was with 2700X and 1080)
    Worth a shot IMO.

14. Leo Valentino

Leo Valentino New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    @Sebastien Brunier
    Yeah, I use Radeon settings to set a frames limit of 74.7 fps, but had removed it on the first test (the one that gave me 200+ fps) in order to rule it out as a cause. Thanks though :)

15. Sebastien Brunier

Sebastien Brunier Active Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    Ok, another idea, when I've used frame limiter I've set it to 100fps but I have a CV1 at 90Hz. I tested lower cap higher cap but arround 10% higher cap worked best for me. Thought it would only be for VR, maybe you could give a shot at 83/84 fps cap to see if it solves the issue