VR Performance Tweaks & Tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thomas Jansen, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    The latest commits on the GitLab repo are from late August, so it doesn't seem abandoned.

2. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    OK but this one doesn't work with R3E

3. FormelLMS

FormelLMS Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    There is a working version. Is a new one needed?

4. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Upgraded from Rift CV1 to Rift S and now I have the problem, that my batch file is not working properly.

The batch contains:
    setup for oculus (ASW OFF, Supersampling)
    Starting Crewchief
    Starting Dash
    Starting Raceroom
    Setting Raceroom and Oculus to higher priority

Everything starts and sets, but Raceroom starts very blurry. You can see it blurry on monitor. In the Oculus it seems fine until I sit in my car. Then its a blurry mess.

If I remove the start of raceroom from the batch, start the batch and thean raceroom manually, everything works fine.
    Is there anything changed, or can someone tell me, what I'm doing wrong?

(Raceroom is using OpenOVR and not SteamVR in my Case)

5. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0 / -0
    I am no longer on Oculus, so I have no plans to evolve my branch anymore. I might try to create standalone Open VR Host one day (to replace SteamVR on Vive/Pimax etc), but it is a lot of work and not sure this would ever happen, although SteamVR being unstable containtaly heats up my desire to replace it with the open source, lightweight alternative.

People are welcome to submit PRs to my branch, fork off it or the best, help making sure my changes are correctly merged into the main project. I already submitted my work a while ago, I am not sure why it isn't properly integrated still. Note however, that my version of OC (I call it WOC :D) is stripped off of anything rF2/R3E don't need and has improved logging. It is more lightweight.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  6. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    Could it be, that the last Oculus update breaks the OpenOVR compatibility of Raceroom?
    I totally respect TIW decision to let it go. But who has the knowledge to develop this further?

The problem is called Failed to Update LibOVR

This with Oculus version 1.42

With 1.41 everything was fine.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  7. OlivierMDVY

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Are you saying that using the oculus 1.42 the custom openvr from IronWolf fails?

8. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
  9. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
  10. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    It turned out the problem for me is that OVR won't work at all with Win7, so the only fix for me is installing Win10. Won't be doing that anytime soon, unfortunately.

11. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    Well, Microsoft's Windows 7 support ends mid-January 2020, so I'd highly recommend upgrading to Win10 sometime soon. As a long time user of both systems, I can't say any particular reason not to do it. I truly hated Windows 8 and 8.1, but I think W10 is a decent successor to W7. It is advisable to avoid the annual updates at release though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. OlivierMDVY

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
  13. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    I'm on 10

14. Goffik

Goffik Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +170 / 0 / -0
    Appreciate the advice but if it ain't broke, I don't fix it. Win7 does what I need in the way I need it to be done so I have no reason to do it. Yes, I know the security updates are stopping soon but whatever. If someone is actually determined to get into my system for some reason, I'm sure they could do it regardless.

15. FormelLMS

Ratings:
    +229 / 0 / -0
    I have a question, and this is relating the performance and I will ask now:
    nvidia has a new Option in his drivers: Low Latency mode. You can switch: off, on, ultra. Does someone think, this could be an enhancement?

2. Spectre and Meltdown protection:
    As everybody know, intel and AMD said, that this would have an impact on processors power. I found out, that we can switch those protection off. Probably this is not the best idea, but I'm not surfing on my rig around the world and do not open strange links. Email is not setted up and honestly I'm only playing Raceroom or Truck Simulator and nothing else is running there.
    Is this a good enhancement?

Are those two points, things someone have tried with the racing sims?

16. Maarten

Maarten Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I've tried the low latency mode in ultra, and it made it bad, constant stuttering.

Attached Files:

17. Thomas Jansen

Thomas Jansen KW Studios Developer Beta tester

Ratings:
    +562 / 0 / -0
    Makes sense, the low latency mode works by stopping the CPU from preparing the next frame too early if the GPU is still busy on the previous frame (which would cause input lag). This is only the case if you are severely GPU limited, which you won't be in RR, definitely not in VR :p

18. 2farback

2farback New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am having troubles with shimmering aliasing when looking outside of cockpit. Inside looks great but walls rails other cars are terrible. I have a rift cv1 and Odyssey + and tried many different settings in Nvidia control panel and steam vr but nothing seems to help. Need to find good starting point and redo all settings. Any help would be appreciated. My system is i5 8600k oc to 4.9ghz Gskill ddr 3000 ram gtx 1080 overclocked

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  19. Maarten

Maarten Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Normally supersampling 1.2/1.3 and multisampling 2x/4x does help with that. You can also try a clean nvidia driver install.
    I used to configure video settings too, but I now use the default there and set the game graphics only. (VR)

20. 2farback

2farback New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for the informarion and i will clean old driver out and reinstall. It has been a challenge to see what settings has the most affect on graphics and I am going to starr over with the suggested settings.