Released Bilster Berg

Discussion in 'News & Announcements' started by Georg Ortner, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Fleskebacon

Fleskebacon Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +258 / 0 / -0
    Holy crap, what a rollercoaster ride! Thank you Sector 3!

• Like Like x 3
  2. ozcanuck55

ozcanuck55 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    Really enjoy this one....all versions have their own flavour and it's nice to see that the shorter ones were designed to stand alone, not just chopping off one end of the big course and putting in a service road! As mentioned the "slower" cars are good here ( M235i, GT4, Cup cars). Bravo!!!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    First of all, the track is brilliant, it might be my new favorite "lesser-known twisty circuit" after Cadwell Park,

BUT on the full chicane layout, the game takes away all my laps at T3, even though I'm not abusing the track limits at all

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    index.jpg

is there anything planed in the future that these bollards are getting a collision model? I think this awesome track would be even more awesome if you have to be careful about not hitting them, instead of just driving through them and ''cutting'' the corner...
    but that's just me and my satanism xD :D

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +365 / 0 / -0
    Hi @Balrog - we are looking into this issue now.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Scout

Ratings:
    +365 / 0 / -0
    They were in there initially, but they were removed due to some tester feedback.

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. HomieFFM

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    this video is funny as hell I can't stop loughing and I don't know why ''there goes my alignment boys'' hahahah xDDD
    Damn this would have been some interesting online racing... :D
    I understand the point that this would have been probably too frustraing for most people, but it's sad in terms of realism, it's a little bit like removing the walls from Bathurst ;( :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  8. BeefMcQueen

BeefMcQueen Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    Maybe a compromise: a collision detection wich leads to a warning combined with a "plopp" sound as a feedback that you just were too close?

9. HomieFFM

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    the question is what would happen in real life? Are they acting like a wall like in the video? Or do they just fold together and damaging the car? I mean we are getting some damage model updates soon , this would be some interesting stuff on this track :D

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  10. BeefMcQueen

BeefMcQueen Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  11. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I was pretty much the only tester in favour of a collision detection on the bollards. I think it would discipline drivers and you should get "punished" for driving over them, but as you can see in Scout's video, this can have quite severe consequences on such a roller coaster of a track.

What everyone should keep in mind is that irl those bollards are not there as a cutting deterrent (most likely because nobody in their right mind would drive over them deliberately ;) ) but as visual apex markers, helping drivers to see the turns that are hidden from view.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Balrog

Balrog Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 0 / -0
    But isn't exactly that's the point of those? It's like removing the collision physics from the walls in Macau, because the layout is hard in itself.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Christian G

Christian G Topological Agitator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +2,411 / 0 / -0
    I agree that it is their nature, but it's not their point.
    As explained above their point is to provide a visual cue about the position of corner apexes and the corner radius, not to wreck your car. ;)

Sb also mentioned suspension damage above, which is another reason to refrain from making them solid objects. There's just too many scenarios in which the slightest slide or an unfortunate nudge from a competitor sends you over the bollards, effectively ending your race and resulting in frustration. These are just some of the considerations that lead to the decision to remove the collision detection.

With all that said, overall I'm still in favour of the added realism this would provide, just like you are, but we have to accept those other aspects and go with the solution that works best in all sorts of situations.
    All in all, I can live with the decision. It's not like the track isn't challenging enough on its own. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. HomieFFM

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    Ok so I asked the dudes from the Bilster Berg themself on their Facebook page, what would happen if you drive against those bollards, this is the answer:

(Translated)
    We are very pleased that you like the Track at RaceRoom so much.

The markers on the track break off in a collision. They are not encased in concrete, but have a screw cap, so they can be easily replaced.

I hope I could solve your puzzle with it. If you have any further questions, feel free to contact me.

Best regards from the BILSTER BERG

• Like Like x 5
  15. Karting06

Karting06 Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +128 / 0 / -0
    It's funny to read this page.

It's nearly exactly the same arguments that we had before :tearsofjoy:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    As @Karting06 says, we had this come up during beta, and it was decided to not give those any collision as they naturally detach without much damage to the car.

They are also educational and losing them after a lap would mean that those crucial "driving school" tools (showing the apex and turn-in points) would annoyingly disappear during a session.

• Agree x 4
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Love it! x 1
  17. HomieFFM

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    ......ok Ok...... you have saved the bollards for now....but you can't save their little brothers!! o_O:cool:

:D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  18. Olaf Hülse

Olaf Hülse Well-Known Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +505 / 0 / -0
    Speaking of cones, why are some of them flipped upside down or lying at their side at layout option Westschleife (just at the connection to the normal track at T5)?
    Would really like to know!
    Maybe R3E has poltergeists that hit cones when the game is loading?! :eek:

Greetings

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Scout

Ratings:
    +365 / 0 / -0
    I reported this issue on the 21st of September. Still open. :cool:

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. J-F Chardon

J-F Chardon KW Studios Developer

Ratings:
    +5,041 / 0 / -0
    If you start a race there, while the camera pans around showing the track behind the introductory overlays, you can see cones being knocked down by the ghost. Check it out in this video:

Attached Files:

• se.mp4
      File size:
      5.2 MB
      Views:
    • Funny Funny x 5