Problem 64bit Crashes on Startup, 32bit Works

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by Peter Kerenyi, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Peter Kerenyi

Peter Kerenyi Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Hello. I made a fresh reinstall of R3E. The reason I previously uninstalled it was the sudden terrible performace at starts. Long story short, reinstalled the sim because I was curious if the problems have been solved, launched the game on 64bit, set it up, restarted and now it doesn't launch on the 64bit version. Launching 32bit works, but the performance in races it terrible, probably because of the RAM limitations of 32bit. Crash dump uploaded...

Troubleshooting included disabling MSI Afterburner, deleting the 64bit executable and verifying game files on Steam, deleting the SimBin folder in Documents, launching without a wheel plugged in. Nothing helped.

My specs:
    AMD Ryzen 5 2600
    Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT Pulse
    HyperX 16GB DDR4 RAM @ 2933 MHz

Attached Files:

2. Andi Goodwin

Andi Goodwin Moderator Beta tester

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    r ?

when you deleted afterburner, did you remove riva tuner

Andi

3. Peter Kerenyi

Peter Kerenyi Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, sorry, I forgot to update here. Turning off RTSS allowed the 64bit version to run. However the performance of the sim was still unacceptable for me so I decided to take a long break until a core engine update is made.

4. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    ok , you have lost me with the performance bit,
    seeing as i have no idea what your running it on i cant comment , for me i get great performance , good fps and very few issues

as for a core engine update ... it woukld be nice if you could explain what you mean

Andi

5. Peter Kerenyi

Peter Kerenyi Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Starting a race with twenty something AI cars yields a framerate of 40-50 FPS, while neither the CPU or the GPU is utilized to their potential (CPU and GPU are mentioned in the 1st post). It didn't use to be like that, the sim ran like a dream for long (smooth 60+ FPS with 50+ AI at Nords). I don't understand what went wrong. Even ACC runs much much better for me, while looking a lot better and having more advanced AI physics. So I decided to give it a break, even though I invested a lot of time and money into R3E...

Core engine update... something that utilizes modern hardware better.

6. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    ok , thanks , have a slight feeling that you might be wrong about the ai physics
    As for the fps , that is about tweaking stuff , and i have no idea about amd hardware ;
    with my hardware , can run 89 cars at dubai , and am always above 65fps,nords at 60 fps

Andi

7. Peter Kerenyi

Peter Kerenyi Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    If your current hardware is the one below the post, what I use should be considerably more powerful. Yours very similar to my previous build. I didn't have problems with R3E even then.

As far as I know the AI in R3E does not use the player's physics model, but a simplified version. Correct me if I'm wrong. Not that I mind, I was just trying to say that a much more demanding game on paper runs much better than R3E for some reason...

8. Andi Goodwin

Ratings:
    +790 / 0 / -0
    the ai run basically the same car as the player , this is one of the reasons some of the newer cars ai competeters are having issues , so we are working hard to fix the ai , as more cars will be having the newest physcs as we move forward

Andi

9. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    @Peter Kerenyi What settings are you using in game? Tell us a bit more about your setup and config.

I have the same CPU you have. You shouldn't be getting 40-50 fps, even though Ryzen 2600 is certainly not the ideal CPU for Raceroom (or any sim for that matter).

10. Peter Kerenyi

Peter Kerenyi Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Hi, thanks for trying to help. Today I tested with the high preset (though I used to run the game much higher 8xAA and stuff). With WTCR the FPS at the back of the grid was around 48, with DTM 1992 67 (27 AI from last place at Silverstone at the grid). My GPU is a Radeon 5700 XT, RAM 16GB, PSU 620W, I have no performance issues in F1 2019, AC, ACC, Dirt Rally 2.0, or any other game I have installed. I am playing at 1080p with a 144Hz FreeSync monitor running at 120Hz, although the same behaviour was present with an older conventional 60Hz monitor. I think after last Christmas when I upgraded to the 2600 I had no problems with performance. Back then I was using a GTX 1060. Later with the same card the problems started and it's the same with the 5700 XT.

11. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Well, nevermind then. I am so used to my own settings that your framerates seemed too low, but I guess they are fine with the settings you use. Using the High preset, I got about 52 fps sitting on the grid at Silverstone in last place with 27 AI WTCR 2019 cars, and about 65 fps with DTM 1992 cars.

In comparison, with my settings and 20 visible cars, I got around 65 fps with the WTCR cars and around 82 fps with the DTM cars. Add about 10 fps to each for 14 visible cars, which is what I normally use when I want to keep my framerate higher (but I'm perfectly fine with locked 60 fps most of the time).

Sadly, that's about as much as you can expect from Ryzen 2600. Its single-threaded performance just isn't very good, and Raceroom tests it a lot. If you are interested in high framerate simracing, consider upgrading to something like Ryzen 3600, they are noticeably better suited for it.

Here's my settings (but I expect the biggest difference here is the number of visible cars, it really is quite taxing on the CPU the more cars you have visible):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Though I'm kinda hesitant to believe you have no such performance issues in ACC or Dirt Rally 2 - both are quite heavy on the single-threaded performance as well (as are pretty much all sims, tbh), and for example ACC already struggles to maintain even 60 fps on my 2600 with more than say 15 AI cars due to low CPU performance. Unless you don't do AI races, in which case the CPU is much less stressed. DR2 is somewhat better in this regard, but not that much.

12. Peter Kerenyi

Peter Kerenyi Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for taking the time to confirm it! Means a lot

Yes, in ACC at starts with more AI the framerate dips below 60, but it seems to go up after the first turn and it's overall much less choppy than R3E. With R3E the FPS hit stays throughout the race for quite some time from what I remember. With DR2.0 I did not notice any problems to be honest.

It's just one would expect such an "old" sim would run better. I had an i5 4460 before, there were times the AI performance was bad, then they changed something and it got better, etc. Now it's the worst from what I remember and I've been using this sim for looong.

13. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    Thing is, the CPUs technically didn't really get much faster, they just got more cores/threads so they can run more tasks at once, but that is not always possible or even needed. Going from i5 4460 to Ryzen 2600 is only a very slight upgrade for anything that doesn't need more than 4 threads, and most games don't.

14. Peter Kerenyi

Peter Kerenyi Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    I am testing by gradually increasing the graphics settings. All with 27 WTCR AI cars on Sliverstone.

Having 52 visible cars, high textures, 8xAA, high mirrors, medium reflections and track LODs results an FPS at the grid of 80-82. All other settings at this point are at the lowest possible.

Enabling medium or high high shadows equally reduce framerate to 65. Enabling car shadows and adding 10 contact shadows further decreases the performance to 51 FPS. Interesting results...