Career mode suggestions for Sector 3 Studios

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wsimonds04, Oct 26, 2019.

1. wsimonds04

wsimonds04 Member Beta tester

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    Let me preface this by saying, I’m 56, and have been doing race sim’s since ‘Indy Car Racing’. I have spent a lot of money buying a lot of sims, and IMO, RaceRoom is brilliant. It may have a few flaws, but on a whole, it is really good. Thank you to S3S.

That said, if anyone from Sector3 studios reads these posts, I have a suggestion for a much needed career mode. This is just my initial thoughts as a starting point.

Lots of games have career modes, but in my opinion they all seem to come up a little short, or the developer locks you into doing what they want, rather then letting ‘me’, decide how I want to play it. (example is Project cars2. You can either follow their defined path with what cars you can drive, how many laps, number of opponents, what tracks – or you can’t do it at all).

I’d like to see a career mode with a little more. What I would suggest is three different career mode options that I can pick from.

1) Basic career mode.

a. Just a typical career mode, where you pick the car and series you want to run in; but you can select the tracks you want to run at, plus the length of race and all other options. After that you race year after year.

2) Team career mode – what I call ‘soft core’ (The F1 game did something like this, or maybe it still does – I stopped buy it a couple of years ago)

a. You get the option to pick the series you want to run in (GT3, DTM, WTC…)

b. You then run 3 short races at 3 different tracks. After the races, the critical details that are then looked at are your finishing position, consistent lap times, and how much damage you do to the car (or whatever categories you think a team would pay attention to)

c. Based on the above, teams offer you a contract and salary.

d. You race with them for the first year, and depending on your results, you get offered an extension, or other teams offer you a contract.

e. Your career progresses until either no one wants you, or you retire

3) Team/manager mode – the hard core version

a. The same steps as ‘Team mode’ for ‘a,b,c’.

b. Plus, you also are responsible for the team’s financial aspect.

c. There is a yearly racing budget that varies slightly team to team

d. The budget includes cost for drivers, vehicles, transportation, tires, gas etc.

e. To go from race to race in a region (ie within Europe), costs X amount of money. So, for example; if you are running back to back racing in Germany, then its $15,000 to go from track to track. (moving a team, mechanics, cars, etc). But, If you go continent to continent, then its an additional $35,000. The idea behind this is; if you have $200,000 budgeted for transportation, you may want to think about how you get the most race opportunities for your money. You cant just select to race at any track you want, because your team can’t afford to spend $140,000 to go from Asia to the US, to Europe, to Russia to race. ( I have no idea what cost really are - these are just numbers for this example)

f. As you improve as a team driver, your teams budget increases, allowing you to run a more widespread season, so the $200,000 becomes 300K, or 400K , year to year.

g. As a driver, you have to keep money in mind as well. Your getting paid, but the expectation of sponsors is that you finish well. If you don’t finish well, then sponsors start to pull out. Teams get pissed.

h. As a driver you also can’t just blow through money like its free. There are costs that you have to consider. You are allocated some many tires for a weekend, so changing a set costs the team $$.

i. Fuel cost the team $.

j. If you damage the car it cost the team $. When you start this career mode, there is an option where you can select ‘Full damage’. If you do, there is No reset for the entire weekend – what happens, happens. If you don’t select this, then you can reset the car. (This goes back to my earlier comment about letting me decide what I want). So in ‘Full Damage’, if you damage the car, each component you break cost money to the team. Front aero damage, rear aero damage, shocks, body work, engine, transmission, total right-off. If you crash the car, your costing the team.

k. If you do well, you get bonuses, and offers to race in sponsored events where you can make money (maybe even 12hr team races). These could be at tracks you may not have, or in cars you don’t own – but you might want to buy them to further your career. (maybe there’s a discount to buy these items within that mode????).

In a nutshell, what I’m proposing is that Sector3 studios put a career mode in the game – but don’t be like everyone else. Be the company that offered something different, and the one that everyone else looks at as the new standard.

As an additional note to S3S. Let me decide what AI strength, race length and weather I want for EACH race in a championship or career. Don’t tie my hands to one setting for each track. Better still, ask if I want to set them individually as I go, or lock it in from the start.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Feimberg

Feimberg Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    Sorry, but I doubt we will have any kind of career mode in this game. It is very focused in competitive hot lapping and seems to be walking in the direction of competitive multiplayer now. Then closest thing you can get are the custom championships

3. Pierre Hox

Pierre Hox New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    This is from the end of summer development notes :
    and Georg Ortner made a few videos on youtube about a career in Raceroom 1 year ago. Ok, it was an excel spreadsheet but still :)

I have to say I would be greatly interested in any sort of career.

• Informative Informative x 1